S3 225 VS TT 225

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Can some-one please explain to me if there are any differences between the TT and S3 225 Models.

In terms of Performance which is better?

Im guessing they're te same other than the TT is lighter??

Jason

I test drove the cars back to back (with a fat salesman in the passenger seat). The performance seemed pretty equal but the driving position in the TT freaked me out. Even at it's lowest setting the seat was too high and my head was in the roof with the top of the windscreen was directly in my eyeline. I really liked the car except i would have got neck ache whenever i drove.......therefore i bought the S3 and love it!!!

Ok thanks for that! i was only interested in performance and handling.

Id love to test both of them but think id get laughed at at my age!

Jason

From what I can remember the TT is 50Kg healier than the S3...

Rich

why would they laugh at you? as long as your over 21 you'll be able to test drive them, i went and drove the mk5 gti when it first came out i was 22 and at university so i had no intention of the buying the car, vw still let my test drive it.

mk1chopper said:
why would they laugh at you? as long as your over 21 you'll be able to test drive them, i went and drove the mk5 gti when it first came out i was 22 and at university so i had no intention of the buying the car, vw still let my test drive it.

I think he's under 21 that's why... :undwech:

Well thats just it! Im 18 in 3 weeks so no way near 21!

I was after an S3 next year sometime as i dont want to keep ploughing money into my 1.8 T but i wouldnt buy one without testing 1 first!

Jason

It possible, i had my S3 at 20 only 21 now :yes:

ive owned both s3 and 225 tt and i can honestly say there is nothing between them performance wise.what i would say is the s3 has better all round visibility,can take five adults,and is less nickable.same engine, gearbox and suspension practical everyday car and just as agile round the twisty stuff

And less of them around - I was looking at a TT & S3 and thought I'd leave the TT's to the Spikey hair and pink T shirt club (lets see how many people I offend):gun2:

im impressed that you can get insurance on a 1.8t at 17! I had to wait until i was 19 before i could get insured on my mk1 golf gti

Yeah alot of places wouldnt touch me on it until i was 21!

Just had to shop about.

Not cheap though!

Jason

mk1chopper said:
im impressed that you can get insurance on a 1.8t at 17! I had to wait until i was 19 before i could get insured on my mk1 golf gti

theres a fair few companies that wont touch you till your 25

God bless elephant/admiral :hi:

Some til you're 30! I had a company call me to offer me a policy and then they said, "Actually sir we can't insure anyone on that car under 30, but please do consider us when you are...". I was 22!

Direct Line and Greenlight seem to give me the best quotes, by quite some margin.

Rich

I had the same discussion with a few salesman at audi dealers and 3 ADT techy's and all of them said they would take the S3 over the TT and in actual fact 2 of the techy's even said they would still have the S3 out of any of the Audi range as its an everyday driveable car that you can enjoy and not have to worry about it being nicked or getting points etc.
S3 anyday for me!!

Jason_letts said:
Yeah alot of places wouldnt touch me on it until i was 21!

Just had to shop about.

Not cheap though!

Jason

Who are you insured with at the mo mate? And if you dont mind me asking how much do you pay a year? Im 17 and am having trouble getting insured on a 1600!

a great example why the S3:

Went to Ikea tonight managed to fit a complete flat pack wadrobe in the car with enough room for one passenger & more laguage. The wardrobe must be almost 2.4metres in length. Try getting that in a TT (no chance).

Cripes, I am so disappointed wiht the size of my s3 compared to my mk4 golf! boot's miniscule. !!

And don get me started on the cup holder (singular) and inferior armrest!!
Hamdles like a barge too compared to koni'd hand R mk4, but I'll cure that!!

Mo-S3 said:
I had the same discussion with a few salesman at audi dealers and 3 ADT techy's and all of them said they would take the S3 over the TT and in actual fact 2 of the techy's even said they would still have the S3 out of any of the Audi range as its an everyday driveable car that you can enjoy and not have to worry about it being nicked or getting points etc.
S3 anyday for me!!

I got some points the other day :rolleyes: :whistle2:

Didn't Audi de-tune the first of the S3's to 210bhp so it wouldn't out perform the TT?

simch said:
Cripes, I am so disappointed wiht the size of my s3 compared to my mk4 golf! boot's miniscule. !!

Yeah...it's a bit shallow, isn't it?
The 4Motion Golf's as bad though...

And don get me started on the cup holder (singular) and inferior armrest!!

This must be a wind up?
Cupholders?
Armrest?
Armrests belong in Jags...not S3s anyway. No armrest...no problem. It's a useless thing that gets in the way of proper driving anyway...hateful thing.

Hamdles like a barge too compared to koni'd hand R mk4, but I'll cure that!!

I can assure you an S3 in a similar state of suspension upgrade will be a better drive than a golf with an archaic rear beam!!

holy **** lol £250 a month at 17?

u get paid too much mate.

Im moaning at £100 a month at 21 on a 1.8T and thats with 0 no claims lol

My deposit was the same as ur monthly payments =x

I wouldn't pay £250 a month to insure ANY car...

Hell...that's just daft.
I'm pleased I'm getting older if that's what people have to pay.

My insurance has never been any higher than £1100PA on any car or bike I've owned all through my driving time.

£250PM...that's proper sore!

I was paying 140 a month on my S3 at 22 with 1 years NCB, and I felt the hit. You must really love that car mate!

Rich

Well bear in mind i only passed my test in the summer of 06 they wanted £2k for my first car which was a Punto sporting i moved onto a old BMW 318.

Generally had real bad luck with both those cars so wanted to spend a bit of money on a car for reasurrance etc. the only cars my local garage had in was a 2.0 golf no thanks and my 1.8 T a3.

Didnt see the point of spending 6k on a car that i didnt want ie a 1.6 or something i wouldnt be happy with.

I got stung the first year with this at 3k but im being told it should go down alot when i come to renew.

I know you all think im mad!

Jason

Yeah thats some serious money to be putting out for insurance, most ive ever paid was 1200.

It gets better tho cost me 550 this year, with one fault claim and 4 points and im 22.