Revo 5 Hour Trial on 225 S3

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Happy New Year. Thought I would quickly post my experiences of this.

After quite a bit of work and £1k lighter (thread to be posted later) I thought I would get my 130k 225 S3 Revoed on the S3 to see what all the fuss was about.

I got the work and remap done at Fontain in Iver, very helpful and insightful in what to expect and what can be done to heighten for further performance. The 5 Hour trial is based on actual driving of the car over 15mph so I should get a few days worth of driving it, currently have done 3 hours since weds 27th December and still I have 2 hours left to play!! Excellent stratergy to be able to get the full extent of the free trial.

From initial start up there is little difference to previous, on prodding the accelerator it sounds minimally different but a slightly more deeper woosh. On getting going there does seem to be beeter throttle response at low revs but it's not until 3000 that the response in harsher and more willing to get going. On changing up through the gears the sound of the woosh is now more prominent and the noise form the rear is more throaty both listening inside and with the wondows down. In the car park (sad I know) it does sound better and more rumbling then normal. Is this normal for such a remap, I guess the extra emissions and the boost is helping resonating the exhaust pipe, I hear the Miltek is advised for more throatyness but is it more and any further use then what I know have experienced?? Who knows.

On the open road the remap is impressive the through gear acceleration is linear and more improtantly it is so much smoother what firing it up and down through the gears. On applicaiton through the bends it does feel more conviincing that the front end is biting hard into the road. I recently put 4 x GSD3 at all corners and this seems to be a very wise move given the extra horses and torque that is being put down.

On the straight it is excellent a real woomph in the front as it punches the air, I didn't quite believe the guy at Fontain when he says it pushes you back in your seat, but on two instances this has happened and proves the extra torque is there and working hard for you. The in gear accelration at full chat is immense and very very quick compared to the standard 225/206 with the quoted 265/245 I am amazed at the differnence in pace. The accleration in 3rd and 4th is simply breathtaking compared to standard but not as quick as the Evo 6 I had, nevertheless getting to 100 compared to before is now easily attainable in a very short space of time.

The only downsides has been the mpg and the brakes. After the first hour, I had been pounding it and had a few hard braking judgments to make they stank to high heaven. The tyres were also exceptional warm and though not feathering on the tread yet they did look like they had a very good work out. I guess the soft compound of the tyres could prove very expensive if the re-map was to stay. I would be interested to know how your brakes have stood up to it and whether a simple pad change would be better suited, the guy at Fontain was sure that the standard set-up would be fine and admittedly it does do well with good reaction and shutting the car down, but the smell, jesus!

The mpg; i reset this and normal I get 29/30mpg, I know have 21mpg I put this down to the 'excessive' use than normal of the throttle rather than anything else, but put men to mind that this too could prove expensive on 52litres of V-power very other day rather than just twice a week.

The free trial has put me in a dilema, the cost £499 + SPS2 @ £249 (a must IMO) is a hefty whack, and so too is the insurance (extra £200 with Privelige and higher excess £500) add to this the cost of tyres and fuel this could become expensive, especially after the recent £1k bill I have had to pay.

Also that I just want to boot it all the time (maybe because I want to get the most out of the 5 hours) and so that losing license is round the corner as well as Mr Deer stepping across the road a night all of a sudden.

I know self restraint is called for, but seriously; the grin factor is immense and most definitly entertaining. Dunno. Tricky one.

Anyways. All the best and Happy New Year.

I hope your enjoying it buddy, I had a friend with a Cupra R remapped by Jabba, and ****** hell did that thing shift....

But the fuel economy was a killer, but as i have always said,

"YOU PLAY, YOU PAY" :)

I have actually found that after my remap my fuel economy is better on normal day to day use. You only get worse economy than standard when you are driving the car hard.

if your gonna get an SPS, buy second hand and go for the SPS3. These come up on other VAG forums for less than £150.

Had to say.....
Just Revo'd my A3 on thursday ...Oh my, Oh my...
the best 400 quid i ever spent on any mod. ive done about 60 miles and it still feels like its getting quicker and quicker. Even though i can feel the clutch slipping a little.
I would like to advise - ones brakes need doing straight away.

dubhyper said:
Had to say.....
Just Revo'd my A3 on thursday ...Oh my, Oh my...
the best 400 quid i ever spent on any mod. ive done about 60 miles and it still feels like its getting quicker and quicker. Even though i can feel the clutch slipping a little.
I would like to advise - ones brakes need doing straight away.

Don't forget your clutch will need doing shortly. Its a bit of a hidden cost when you get your car remaped

sorry to steal the thread:

dubhyper: which revo program did you have put on your A3? from teh pics in your gallery you appear to have a massive FMIC, and an AGU cable throttle engine.

what results did the revo give? was it the generic stage 1? or a custom one to go with your mods?

Prawn said:
sorry to steal the thread:

dubhyper: which revo program did you have put on your A3? from teh pics in your gallery you appear to have a massive FMIC, and an AGU cable throttle engine.

what results did the revo give? was it the generic stage 1? or a custom one to go with your mods?

yep i do have an FMIC and AGU engine as you said. ITs a standard stage 1 map...had it done at vagtech.
So far all i can really fairly comment on is boost... where i had 0.7 psi before... it now peaks between 15 to 17 psi...The boost also builds up much quicker. If i think of anything else ill come back and repost..

:detective2: (..Whens the next rolling road day..)