Are A3 and S3 windscreens identical?

monkeytrousers

Reaction score
Hi

My front windscreen was struck by a large stone and is badly cracked. Direct Line / Autoglass are going to replace it later in the week.

They insist on referring to my car as an "A3 S3 Quattro" and as such only have A3 windscreens on their database.

Is this OK? I don't think there is any difference but thought I'd check here.

Cheers

i just had a screen fitted the guy said that there are only two types and that there are differnt in colour one is green and the other grey over green shame your not a northern as the screen only cost me 150 fitted

S3's have the green tint and A3's have a grey tint IIRC, apart from that, they are the same. I had an A3 item fitted onto my S3 a few years back, as there was a week wait for an S3 item, and mine had a huge crack right accross it. Wasn't noticeable due to my S3 being black though. :cool:

nick1973 said:
i just had a screen fitted the guy said that there are only two types and that there are differnt in colour one is green and the other grey over green shame your not a northern as the screen only cost me 150 fitted

That's well cheap. How far north are you?

jojo said:
S3's have the green tint and A3's have a grey tint IIRC, apart from that, they are the same.

:( I think mine has a grey tint. Maybe I got sold an A3 with an S3 bodykit :sob:

Better go check....

Heh, still drunk.

ChriS3 said:
:( I think mine has a grey tint. Maybe I got sold an A3 with an S3 bodykit :sob:

Better go check....

Heh, still drunk.

<goes to look outside>

OK, my bad, maybe the bit of wine is still lingering lol, mine is green!, I got it the other way round!! :keule:
S3 should have a grey upper tint, and A3's have a green tint. :moa:

Happy New Year! :yahoo:

Emmmmmm my screen has always had a green tint, and the replacement when i had a crack in mine had a green tint too, it was a3 glass, maybe different colour cars have different colour strips.

Oh and the reason for one glass being different, RAC auto windscreens use a copy glass, autoglass use an oem glass.

Hence one is much cheaper.

Or it may be the other way round, rac real autoglass copy, whatever lol

the guy who fitted my screen was fom rotherham
tel 01709 865157

great service

Cheers for the replies.

I only have to pay &#163;60 excess and no loss of no-claims-bonus, as I have comp insurance. Autoglass are coming to my office on Weds.

monkeytrousers said:
Autoglass are coming to my office on Weds.

At the time of my S3's windscreen replacement, they needed my car for a good few hours, as they needed time to remove the old one as it was bonded on, and they needed more time for the bonding stuff to set!... they wouldn't come out to me?

jojo said:
At the time of my S3's windscreen replacement, they needed my car for a good few hours, as they needed time to remove the old one as it was bonded on, and they needed more time for the bonding stuff to set!... they wouldn't come out to me?

The call centre have made the appointment, so perhaps Autoglass will contact me tomorrow if it can't be done off-site. They quoted 2 hours.

All done. Took just over an hour in my office car park. The tint looks exactly the same as the old windscreen, so all fine. Cheers.