Coil Pack went in Milton Keynes 100m from Home

MingBluS3

Reaction score
Was racing a golf TDI and ripping him apart, got to the roundabout and thought i'd show him the grip on the 4x4 anyway pulled away hard and it felt like the traction control had kicked in (no power). So i stuck my foot hard down and the car nearly stalled, it was lumpy and running on only 3 cylinders i think. So the golf pulled away and i had to find somewhere safe to pullover.

Anyway audi roadside recovered me and a technician came out on sunday to sort out the replacements, and they have made a huge difference to the performance, even cold starts, i reckon my coil packs were on there way out for some time.

All i'd like to say is that the Audi customer service was superb.

hmmm, what are the signs of a dodgy coil pack...mines an 03...on cold the car runs terribly till warmed up...Is this normal? Seems to be mainly while it is still on choke.

when it sounds like an old subaru and is shaking its self to bits, your know... and it will be your coil packs...

Pure - my '03 is also gutless when still cold - I guess this is normal, but I don't remember it being so pronounced on my '00 (210 version).

I was working on the assumption that my '03 model would have come with a fixed coil pack version, am I right in assuming that?

thats exaclty how mine sounded, like a lumpy old subaru.

I'm sure i smelt something before it totally packed up and hestitation. The new 03 models should have the new replacement parts where they do away with the distributor cap etc.

Similar thing happened to me on Sunday in my S3. Audi roadside fixed it. Technician replaced all 4 as he said Audi had brought out some modified ones. Did notice drop in performance for a couple of weeks before it went. Thought it was oil level as that's happened to me before. Oil seemed OK though. Ended up thinking I'd just got used to the power and was thinking I'd need to upgrade to something with more poke. Much better with 4 new coil packs. Grinning again.