A3 engine Swap!

Offtrack4Speed

Reaction score
Yup I am the idiot that got the flooded A3 8L, 97 hatch Try to unlock the engine but no luck with that. I think it has to do with being full of salt water for two years. Mmm I wonder. hehe any way! I need to find a wrecked car in the us to get an engine and a Tranny. So people what should I look for? Mine is a right hand drive, I was told the engine and tranny are in te same position but I am nt sure. I tought about a A4 1.8T but not sure. Would a V6 be better? I am also looking to make it a simple swap.. So also any VW engine that would be the same? They are cheaper and easier to find. Would that work? Help me out here... I dont have the key of the back door, anybody know how to open it from the inside or something? Haven't sein a pull for it. :yellowrs4: :yellowrs4: :yellowrs4:

If you want to do an easy swap, replace the engine with the one that was fitted in there in the first place, just get the 3-letter engine code e.g AKL and replace it with one of the same. You can find the engine code on a sticker on top of the timing belt cover (if it has not been corroded off), if not there is sometimes a sticker in the boot with it on, or if not it is in the log book. If you cant find a second hand one anywhere and dont want to pay the dealer price for a brand new one, you can buy reconditioned engines.
If you want to put a more powerful engine in it, VW and Audi have the same engines as well as Skoda and Seat. As for compatibility into your A3, to save yourself having to modify and bodge the car/engine so that it fits, just put one in there that came standard on A3s. Get the engine code off the engine that you have found and I'll let you know whether they were fitted in A3s standard equipment.
Hope this helps.

they didn't sell the 8L A3 or SEAT Leon in North America. The Golf mkIV was available but it was LHD, i'm not entirely sure if that'll be a problem or not for a 2wd application.

is the A3 you have a 1.8T? If it is then youre engine code from a 1997 rhd model will be AGU, and have a throttle cable (simpler engine management than later 'drive by wire' engines). you'll save a lot of hassle by getting an AGU engine as a replacement, this was available in n. america so picking one up won't be a problem.

vwvortex in a n. american based forum and would be a good place to go looking for advice on lhd/rhd compatibility and sourcing a new engine and gearbox. good luck!

Thanks a lot man.. I will look in to that, The engine is a 1.8 but not Turbo 5 Valve, Would like an engine with a bit more power so i tough about a V6 but that might be just too much work. Donno Going to research what you guys said and see what I can afford Thanks again

hi i need help ive got an audi a4 19tdi auto 2003,also an a4 25 tdi v6 auto 1998,can i put the v6 into 2003 car?