exhaust blow sound downpipe?

Bellic

Reaction score
i can hear exhaust blowing sound when i first start up and when accelerating quite faint with windows closed
could it be down pipe or turbo gasket anyone else had this problem?

have you noticed a loss in power? it most likely sounds like your manifold gasket has blown (where the center exhaust port is) this would be causing the blowing noise but it could be a number of things

well it feels though it is low on power not to sure i have only had the car a week and i have not driven another 1.8t to compare , when you mean centre is that where the turbo bolts onto manifold

yes thats the one fella, exhuast manifold gasket has probably gone, its not one of those problems where you need to fix it asap it wont damage your engine your just leaking some boost is all

what is this gasket like to change ?

Let the engine cool fully and begin loosening the studs or nuts attaching the manifold to the engine's cylinder head. Once the attaching hardware is removed, gently pull the manifold from the head studs. If resistance is encountered, check for additional brackets or mounting hardware further down the exhaust system that may be preventing manifold removal. Once the manifold is clear, remove all traces of the old gasket and clean the mating surfaces, ensuring that both are flat and will have a good seal against the new gasket. Slide on the new gasket, reinstall the manifold, and tighten attaching nuts and/or studs to factory torque specifications.

basically :)

but your talking about the manifold it self but how about the turbo gasket or downpipe gasket?

ok cheers matey:icon_thumright:

have you come across this problem before then?

Before you start changing things it'd be a good idea to get the car on a ramp or even jack it up on a cold morning, get underneath and have a look - u'll see exactly where the blow is.

Much better than a guessing game - even if the problem is 90% definately the gasket - u'll be ****** if u change it and its still there lol.

Check the tightness of the manifold to turbo AND exhaust downpipe to turbo bolts but be very careful not to horse them up too much. If the studs are brittle they will easly snap.

It might well be the manifold gasket, but just a few optiosn to check first

Mine has always had this problem from day dot. When the car was under waranty I told Audi and they said it was normal.

I have had the boost logged and its dead on 1bar so its got all of the boost and when it was dyno'd it was making good power 232bhp.

I just ignore it now. Would be nice to know what it is but there are no ill effects.

Just to be sure its the same thing, I can make it happen when I rev the engine to ~2000rpm and then when driving its just when the car returns onto boost.

I always thought it was a heat shield that is a bit loose and resonating.