S3 ticking noise at idle

Mike.M

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Got an S3 and at idle there is a ticking noise that sounds like a tappet but is not.....quite noticable. It is coming from the drivers side (rad/washer top up bottle side of the engine bay).

I had a similar problem with a previous car and it was the charcoal canister that recirculates/filters emisions (excesively noisey they said and replaced it)

All the 1.8Ts make that to some extent. Most are fairly noisy and can easily be heard with the bonnet closed from outside the car at idle.

It is, as you say, something to do with a charcoal filter. Wouldn't worry, but if it gets much louder get the warranty to replace it for peace of mind.

Its like someone is tapping there nail on the bonnet every second or less.

Might take it in and get them to change it for peace of mind.....cheers

My A6 1.8t (98) does that. I've heard its normal. I only notice it with the bonnet open, or when the stereo is not at ear-bleed level (which is not that often...!)

I hear it with the bonnet down while standing about a metre away

I raised a post about this sometime ago as my S3 does the same, the end result is that this noise is normal, and nothing to worry about. Here is the post I placed if you want to have a look.

Click Here

Cheers Paul and co,

Car is getting coil packs checked on Sat so will get them to have a look at the noise too.....peace of mind and all.

Thats totally normal for a S3 i had the same question and asked the technicain at Audi.