Wheels...

FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi folks, hope you're well (I'm currently eating antibiotics like smarties as I can hear almost nothing in both ears :( - anyone else got it?)...

Aaaannyyyway; as subject, my car is currently sat on its old 15" wheels as the tyres on the Avus were getting pretty low. I considered leaving the 15" on over winter because of the salt situation and general road conditions; but even though I'm not 'nailing-it' (and lets face it, my car couldn't if I tried), I've noticed a distinct feeling of sailing rather than driving, I guess because of the sudden reduction in road contact and also the fact the tyres could've come off a Bus. So; I'm now considering just getting some inexpensive wheels (thinking that something 18" would be nice, and the Avus are looking a bit battle-worn) with whatever tyres - so long as they've got decent wet performance, but they don't need to be exceptional as having less than half the horses most of you have up-front I seldom find myself so committed in corners - obviously I've considered the fact I'm going to be waxing them weekly in an attempt to keep them tip-top over the winter, but if it means it feels even a tiny bit more planted I'm prepared for that I think.

Thinking along those lines then, and having considered all the usual suspects, made-up then changed my mind at least three times, I'm in a bit of a mess... So, I'd be grateful if any of you have suggestions or piccies to look at to help me make up my mind. As mentioned though, I don't want to break the Bank and while I realise the only parts of my car that touch the road are the tyres, like I say average is good enough for the kind of driving I do (think lots of motorway and slow pretty much everywhere else because it wouldn't pull you out of bed with more than a driver and 20 quid's worth of fuel :() - so much as I'd love BBS RC with GSD3 or Proxies etc. - it's just not practical for me; the other thing is that if my waxing doesn't look after them as well as I hope at least the winter won't be wearing away at £1500+ worth of alloy and rubber.

Any suggestions/pics gratefully received!

Regards,

Rob.

I still think RS4's look good a on a A3, and keep the OE look.
1.jpg

I personally think you will notice a drop in economy running 18's on a 1.6, but if it's 18's you want, go for a set of 18" Avus(B7 S4 wheel) replica's with tyres, they are going pretty cheap, and will look the danglies once fitted! :cool:

Cheers guys (and to the rest of you who normally jump at the chance to show off your shiny wheels - you're crap! :p)

I take your point jojo, but to be honest my 1.6 already pulls an S3 interior and some rather heavy audio equipment as it is; so I'm not sure I'd notice it all that much.

I'm not sure about Avus reps though; I sorta fancy a change, but I have always liked the fact that you don't see so many cars with Avus around though. I really really love the way RS4s look, but part of me wants to choose something else as I'd guess that about eight of the dozen Audis that are regularly parked somewhere near work have RS4/TT alloys. It seems to be a bit of a similar story with RS6 too since Audi started fitting very similar rims to more or less anything with an S-Line badge. I've even considered the Nuvolari reps - they're sort of reminiscent of RS4s which is good, they're sort of in keeping with the OEM thing, but they might just be a bit too 'bling' in the flesh. As you can see, I'm a bit lost :think: It's a shame you don't seem to see Bimoto reps around that much anymore; I'd be straight in there I think!

Regards,

Rob.

EDIT: As a side note to all this, I'm going to have to make my mind up soon; tonight was the first night I've noticed the roads were a little bit less than ideal to drive on and on leaving some lights and making a right turn I found out just how pants the narrow wheel + bus tyre combination is - without even trying to give it a squirt I was nearly getting a proper shimmy on; and I know for a fact that with my other wheels and tyres (well, when they had a bit more tread left) would've been good for at least twice the speed.

I'd go with Jo on this one. I wish i'd got them for my S3 now. There seems to be a little dish on the 18" Avus. Nice wheel in keeping with the OEM+ theme.
You could do a lot worse. Promise me you'll not get those awful A8 things !
I thought it was quite easy to get the bimoto reps in 18s though.

Chris.

I'll definitely give them a look and the photoshop treatment; and no I won't be putting A8 wheels within 100 yards of it.

If you've got any links for suitable fitment Bimoto reps I'm all ears! (eyes?)...

Regards,

Rob.

Give Elite a ring. John Nye is the man I dealt with. The manufacturer is either AT Alloys or AZ alloys. They are italian. I had 19s but they are not a true bimoto rep. The 18s are more similar but still not an exact copy. Ask him for 007s for an Audi fitment.

Chris.

FactionOne said:
I've even considered the Nuvolari reps....

please god no...

RS4s reps suit our cars best but way too common I dont like RS6's as they look heavy and imo not very sporty... try www.dubmeister.co.uk for euro style wheels not sure if your into that though?

s3bow said:
Give Elite a ring. John Nye is the man I dealt with. The manufacturer is either AT Alloys or AZ alloys. They are italian. I had 19s but they are not a true bimoto rep. The 18s are more similar but still not an exact copy. Ask him for 007s for an Audi fitment.

Chris.

That's these guys yeah? - http://www.elitewheels.co.uk/

Regards,

Rob.

Personally I love the simplistic look of the RS6s
If I could justify a new set or rims i'd have a set, but that's just me
I don't particularly care if others have the same
Sometimes it's better to go with a proven look rather than try and be different!
My current wheels are not your average styling and people either love them or hate them
After driving a Toyota Supra it's actually quite nice to be subtle!

Mike