coilover rear springs.normal?

dultanur

all promises, no action :)
Reaction score
hi guys.
i have bilstein pss9 coilovers, and the rear springs look a bit funny to me. could you guys check your own rear coilover springs to see if this is normal?

the car is sitting on the ground normally, and the spring seems to be almost completely compressed...but the ride is quite normal except when going over big bumps at speed the rear springs make a noise probably because they rub each other :)lmfao:)

also the fronts are made up of 2 springs, a main and a smaller one. the small one is also almost completely compressed. is this normal?

thanks for looking guys!
regards
deniz

That looks very odd. i sure the rear spring are not ment to sit like that?:uhm:

You've basically go no suspension on the back as the rear spring looks totally compressed, they all like look they're touching... not right! As for the front, i think your meaning the helper spring which again shouldn't really be fully compressed. How low is the car and who fitted the kit?

the helper springs aren't fully compressed, but nearly so. when i first got the set it was adjusted wrongly so the helper was totally compressed but i fixed that. the rears i left as i got them thinking the adjustment wouldn't matter, if it was set too tight it would only lift the car...
i'll check out the rears when i have a chance.
but the car rides well? its not like it has no travel or no springs...
i'm confused...

Mine are the same, so after fitting them i had jabba look at them and phone fk to see if this was normal they said it was so i left it because it worked ok, but there starting to wear now any advise would be good thanks.

sagol canım ;)

thanks for the pic pete...
i would love to see a picture of an S3 with coilovers if anyone has one?so jamos3, yours was the same as mine correct?

i will try to get a pic on soon as i can for you. I wonder if we have been given a kit that is for an a3 quattro instead of a s3

havin a few problems getting a pic on this site try vag20v.net i,ve just posted one on there

ok buddy, could you give me link?
i don't think so because i think the rear weights would be very similar in both cars. it would't cause such a big difference IMO. as i said before, the car handles normaLLY, so maybe its supposed to be this way... but i dont know...

Is it maybe because you have them set really really low? so the spring has to be compressed to get it down to that level?

no the springs dont get compressed as you lower them, its the screw thingy below that gets smaller as you screw it up tighter.

My Eibach coilovers, for comparison.

vbpgimage.php

Looks like yours need winding down a fair bit.

im sure it,s the wrong spring there seems to be one to many coils looking at chris,s. nice rear disc conversion mate does it brake much better, it looks good btw.

does yours adjust from the top of the spring chris. both of ours seem to be from the bottom, maybe it just needs turning around.

jamos3 said:
does yours adjust from the top of the spring chris. both of ours seem to be from the bottom, maybe it just needs turning around.

Mine are screwed from the bottom, and they're screwed all the way down. That's kinda what I was trying to show you. If you compare the two, yours are all the way up, mine are all the way down. :)

Cheers for the comments, the brakes are nice. They go well with the front upgrade. Pretty well ballanced.

i started off with them screwed down it,s only 10mm to help take some of the camber out of the rear, jabba reconded it would help if the back was a bit higher.

yeah i have got them, but need new ones now after a bit of a bump they have siezed up so i think its time to replace with new and realine them. i think i might change the whole kit i have been looking at h&r,s and they are not that bad price

I have a set of H&R coilovers fotted to my S3 if you want to see the setup someone send me a pm and i will email them the pics so they can be uploaded to here.

but chris, your car seems to be lifted so the wheel can be removed. my springs look normal when the car is lifted as well. if you can check it wile the car is on the ground, looking between the wheel spokes that would be cool.

i'm 99% sure that the setting of the rear adjustment screws has nothing to do with the way the spring looks. because as you tighten them up, it only lifts the car further. if the suspension hasn't got anymore movement left, then the spring would start to compress. but as you must have seen when lifting the car, the susp. has a pretty large travel.

UPDATE: after a lot of research, i found out that the adjustment rings had been fitted on the wrong side. on the pss9, the adjustment ring should be fitted to the top of the spring, as in the picture below.

i corrected this, but haven't felt a difference, the spring looks quite the same when the car is sitting on the ground.

Those billy springs look weird, just so darned short? SUrely theya re getting coil bound over big bumps...? Not good IMO!

Are you sure your springs are not broken anywhere?

yep deffo sure. and just a few days ago a friend fitted the pss9 to his TT (thats how i found out the springs were upside down) and his looks exactly like mine. and they all look like the above picture when lifted...(which i found on the net, not my car. also a TT i think)

you're right though, i do get coil bound sometimes, and my coils have started to rust because they rub against each other all the time...this sucks :(

if i knew this stuff was gonna happen, i wouldn't have bought this kit.

You sure your shocks are not on upside down too??
Have you contacted Bilstein tech support for their opinion on the fitment? because it still looks wrong. The adjustment ring; have you got that wound out fully as well?

a mate of mine told me not to get coilovers for my car, he said the springs compress so they touch each other (liek yours) ive ignored him and bought them anyway but ive not fitted them yet.

I guess hes right they all do it on these cars?

I found it very hard to take decent pictures with the wheels on, but here
is an attempt to see what KW coilovers look like. Neither front nor rear are signicantly compressed. This is with a cm or two of drop.

Rear:

P1020335.jpg

P1020337.jpg

Front:

P1020343.jpg

hey lad

i'm out the country but will try an arrainge some pictures of my billstiens for ya, there not as compressed as yours? my PSS9's were fitted by AmD think she dropped 40mm?

i'll try an get it sorted k

thanks for your concern Mo, my shocks are just fine :) i can't tell you how far the rings are wound down, but i adjusted them so the rear of my car has only around 15mm drop. so there is quite a lot of thread left (at least 3cm). if the springs were bigger, there wouldn't be this much adjustment range i think?

eddy, i also saw that none of the other coilovers look quite like the bilsteins, thats how i started to ask around. so all you guys with a different brand, your're lucky and wont have such problems...

eatdegrub, thanks mate, looking forward to your pics.

alright mate i don,t no how to get pics up on this site. i,ve got them in my pc though. and they are the same as yours i have just changed to h&rs and they are stiffer and the spring looks right to.

sorry for the delay!

i've got pictures but cant seem to post them??

post your address i'll send them to you

aidan

here are some pics of aidan's (eatdegrub's) rear springs. the 3rd one is with the car on a lift.
http://imageshack.us

so this situation is surely the norm for billy pss9 rear springs. as you can see from these pics and the ones i posted before, the springs have corrosion where the coils touch eachother. this can't be a good thing :)

i've read and heard of people using the H&R coilover kit rear springs instead of the std. billy springs with good results. the part number for ONLY the H&R rear springs is:
29434HA1

if i can, i will try this setup and write short report on it.

although the weird springs don't seem to have a negative effect for normal driving, when you give it some beans on tight twisties on a rough road the springs DO bottom out and the car bounces like crazy. i wouldn't recommend this coilover set to anyone thinking of driving hard on regular roads. it may be good for track work and normal road use though.