Grinding noise when the wheels start to spin?

JB_A3_Turbo

Reaction score
My car has always done these two things it.

1. If i'm a bit heavy especially on the greasy/wet roads at the moment I get this kind of small grinding noise from the front for a brief second as the wheels start to spin (at very low speeds). It's not the wheels spinning making the noise, but it only last for a very short time- any ideas?

2. The first time the car is switch on once I move past about 15-20MPH I hear a clicking/grinding type noise for a second. This doesn't repeat when you slow down and start moving again. It sounds like something is activating once I get above 15-20mph- any ideas? I don't have traction control BTW.

1.i think that would be the EDL (elect. diff. lock)
2.maybe your central locking is locking the doors? mine does.

1. It's a bit strange since my car does not have any form of traction control? No dash board buttons or traction lights etc...and was sold without?!? But I've noticed the same noise when starting off on wet grass and the front wheels spin slightly- you get this grinding type noise just as they spin- really weird.

2. Central locking does not lock itself when moving ( thought it might be something to do with that since my mates Leon does this)

Can u spin the wheels freely if you try?

Yes the wheels will spin you just get this noise briefly as they start. I can get them to spin on wet roads 2nd/3rd gear foot flat to the floor.

JB_A3_Turbo said:
Yes the wheels will spin you just get this noise briefly as they start. I can get them to spin on wet roads 2nd/3rd gear foot flat to the floor.

Sounds like your Haldex differential isn't transferring any drive to your rear wheels! It's very difficult to get wheel spin, if at all, from a chipped S3 in any gear from 2nd and upwards, even in snow, all four wheels would spin at the same speed when wheelspinning.

not sure if your A3 is a quattro or not but if it just 2wd i think it's some spring loaded 'thing' to do with the diff and it's just the spring un-coiling when it dis-engauges.
If it sounds like a spring then it's just a noise the A3 makes!

Very technical explanation i know!!!!!!!!