Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

Question HEADLIGHT SWITCH ANY IDEA PLEASE

Hi there.,

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same thing happen to their head light switch? The 2 x small bulbs that light up the "O,sidelight & main beam." Are not lighting up, had switch out of dash un & repluged it etc but still will not work, presume bulbs u/s has anyone had switch appart and replaced bulbs? if so where can replacement bulbs be purchased and are they soldered in or simple push/plug in fit? Not the end of world not going to give local Audi stealers early crimbo bonus by buying new one, but would like to sort if poss..

Cheers Guys for any help.. Houch
    Houch

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I dont think a new headlight switch costs that much does it? Might be better than the hassle of replacing the diodes urself, will more than likely be a solder job
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

Reverse Gear

Status
    I need a new switch but only because all the black seems to have faded off the dial. If anyone knows how much they are would be good to know! Or if anyone has a spare hanging around?

4th Gear

Status
    They are LED's fitted in the units. As far as i know the switch is an expensive item. You can replace the led's if you are fairly good at soldering. I did remove all the original orange/red leds in mine and replace them with blue ones so i know it can be done.

1st Gear

Status
    paid 90 for a 98 a3 headlight switch at main audi dealer last year

4th Gear

Status
    Yep, I can confirm they're not cheap to replace!

Mine did the same, and after some dismantling, found that the LEDs were hard wired onto a mini circuit board which is part of the switch. Rather than unsolder the fixed LEDs from the board, and not knowing what voltage they were, I wired in some standard 12v LEDs from Halfrauds taking the feed from the wires at the back of the switch, and then hot glueing them into a suitable location to shed their red glow!

Total cost about 5.99.
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue - Gone
    VW Polo GTI - 2011MY - Candy White - Here

1st Gear

Status
    My two LED's referred to in this thread come on for the first 30 secs of switching on and then go out. Does this everytime I switch on the lights. Anyone know what would cause this?
    Black S3 | MY09 | APR 3.4 Stage 2+ | RNS-E LED | Tints | 19" OEM RS3 Rotors | APR DP | APR HPFP | WALK | Bilstein B14 Coilovers | Lamin-X | Ashtray delete | P3 Gauges integrated boost gauge | BlueVAG VAG-Check |

Brum brum

Status
    Spurred on with the recent discussion, I've just taken my headlight switch to bits as I suffer from the flickering illumination of the sidelight/dipped headlight indicator. The solder on the two LED's responsible for illumination looked a bit dodgy, so I've resoldered all four connections - and it still doesn't work. I guess there must be a dry solder connection somewhere in the circuitboard - but the LEDs are the only bits that can be easily accessed with the switch in bits.

I like your idea Tooks of powering some other LEDs from a separate feed - might give that a go, or most likely I'll just continue to live with it.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Neutral

Status
    mine does exactly the same as larsmate, comes on for 30 secs and then flickers on and off then off all together.
    2001 Audi A3 1.8TQ Black

Reverse Gear

Status
    lights are fine on mine but the actual switch that switches on the fogs seems to be on when i select only dips

new switch is 59.50+vat from Audi
    2001 Silver A3 T sport,S3 Spoiler, RS4 alloys, AMD stage 1........new ECU.... :-(