does optimax make a difference?

viper

Reaction score
what are you views? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Does a bear s**t in the woods? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You don't notice much of a difference when putting it in, but you sure notice it when you change back to standard unleaded!

It seems to make my car react quicker when you put your foot on the accelerator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can't comment on my Audi (it's diesel), but earlier this week I put a standard tank of 95 octane Esso in my V5 Golf and it has run like a bucket of snot since then!

The Golf has been run on Optimax since new, but I just wanted to try some normal fuel, BIG MISTAKE! It now hesitates, and does not rev as cleanly, and the idle seems rough.

I can't wait to empty this tank, and get some proper stuf back in.

[ QUOTE ]
V5Ade said:
I can't comment on my Audi (it's diesel), but earlier this week I put a standard tank of 95 octane Esso in my V5 Golf and it has run like a bucket of snot since then!

The Golf has been run on Optimax since new, but I just wanted to try some normal fuel, BIG MISTAKE! It now hesitates, and does not rev as cleanly, and the idle seems rough.

I can't wait to empty this tank, and get some proper stuf back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic! Glad im not the only one! Petrol station has been out of 97 last few times i have gassed up, and its running like a bag of W*nk! Really quite slow. NEED 97 again, as im getting bored! 120miles left yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich

I think its mainly perceived gain on Audi turbo engines. RR plots have showed virtually no difference between optimax and regular unleaded and I bet my strides that if I put any one of us in a car blind as asked to guess the fuel, the reply would be just that. You expect it to be faster, you paid more cash, therefore you think you feel that it is quicker.

However, it its defence, the increased octane rating allows the clever people at APR to further ****** ignition on their optimax specific program and therefore get an improved power output. So optimax plus an optimax specific map is slightly better that regular fuel on a 95ron map.

I never wasted my money on optimax before the rechip...

Exscuse my ignorance here, but do the S3's require super-unleaded as the norm, while the A3's (e.g. 1.8, 1.8T) don't need the super? My petrol flap label recommends 95RON
Would running optimax in my (unchipped) 1.8T only have benefits, or is it not advised?

While I'm on it, label on petrol flap also recommends abut 28-30psi for an unloaded car, but what do most people run with? I've got the 1.8Tsport with stock 5-spoke wheels (16inch) and run at about 30psi all 'round, but that seems a bit low to me, although tyre wear is even, so no obvious effects if I am running too low.

My old 306Gti6 would not rev cleanly between 2000-3500rpm with out Optimax, it would alway splutter. Optimax cured that, but it didn't make any noticeable top end gain.

I guess that is down to the higher octane rating (meaning it is more volatile rather than containing more energy). I wonder what the calorific value is compared to normal fuel..

[ QUOTE ]
bk1 said:
Exscuse my ignorance here, but do the S3's require super-unleaded as the norm, while the A3's (e.g. 1.8, 1.8T) don't need the super? My petrol flap label recommends 95RON
Would running optimax in my (unchipped) 1.8T only have benefits, or is it not advised?

While I'm on it, label on petrol flap also recommends abut 28-30psi for an unloaded car, but what do most people run with? I've got the 1.8Tsport with stock 5-spoke wheels (16inch) and run at about 30psi all 'round, but that seems a bit low to me, although tyre wear is even, so no obvious effects if I am running too low.

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK the S3s are happy on 95 ron, and the S4 reccommends 95ron

I ran 32 psi all round on my old TSport with the same wheels and got even tyre wear.

Maybe before the question that gets asked at least once a month, you may what to do a search and then add to existing threads

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So, does a bear s**t in the woods then? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

I run a standard 1.8T and when I initially bought it I tried running it on Optimax then normal then optimax again to compare. Im my opinion it does make a difference for the better, the car feels smoother yet more urgent under acceleration. Also considering the car is booked at 150bhp and 150lbs of torque but on optimax it RR'd at 153bhp and 158lbs of torque....for me that says it all....

So...does a bear s**t in the woods?.....damn right it does!

[ QUOTE ]
Funky_Junky said:
Also considering the car is booked at 150bhp and 150lbs of torque but on optimax it RR'd at 153bhp and 158lbs of torque....for me that says it all....

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say you car is "booked" at 150bhp/ 150lbft do you mean you dynoed it to get that figure because most OEM 150bhp 1.8Ts get about 150-155bhp and 150-160lbft OEM on 95 ron fuel.

Assuming you car was dynoed at 150/150 to start witn on 95ron petrol then bear in mind that a rolling roads accuracy tolerance is +/-2%, so at 150bhp +/- 3bhp and +/- 3lbft torque. So if you say your RR was on a good day thats precisely no more power and 5lbft of torque. On a bad day thats less power and less torque than one would expect from an OEM engine.

I think the marketers at Optimax are the ones that are doing the 5hitting. Don't beleive all the hype /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Someone on the forum said there is no point alternating between normal & optimax to see if there's a difference. He said the ECU takes time to adjust to the different octane value. The only way to get it to adjust immediately is to reset it. So if you normally use optimax, then can't get it, it's no wonder the car struggles with normal unleaded as it is expecting the higher octane. By the time it's worked it out, you've filled up with optimax again.

I did try optimax a couple of months ago, (assuming that no harm would be done by using it), and I noticed that the engine sounded slightly more urgent, and that there definitely seemed to be a faster delivery of power when accelerating, particularly on motorways.
I put in 3 tankfulls in a row, and then went back to other 95 RON fuels (partly because getting to a Shell garage is a bit of a pain for me).
On going back to the other fuels, I didn't notice much difference, just a slight loss of urgency and a smoother engine note.

My S3 and Golf cab (2.0) both responds well to using optimax, definitely smoother and more responsive throughout the rev range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
viper said:
do the wheels on the bus go round?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much smoke in the nursery today? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
[ QUOTE ]
Funky_Junky said:
Also considering the car is booked at 150bhp and 150lbs of torque but on optimax it RR'd at 153bhp and 158lbs of torque....for me that says it all....

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say you car is "booked" at 150bhp/ 150lbft do you mean you dynoed it to get that figure because most OEM 150bhp 1.8Ts get about 150-155bhp and 150-160lbft OEM on 95 ron fuel.

Assuming you car was dynoed at 150/150 to start witn on 95ron petrol then bear in mind that a rolling roads accuracy tolerance is +/-2%, so at 150bhp +/- 3bhp and +/- 3lbft torque. So if you say your RR was on a good day thats precisely no more power and 5lbft of torque. On a bad day thats less power and less torque than one would expect from an OEM engine.

I think the marketers at Optimax are the ones that are doing the 5hitting. Don't beleive all the hype /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats all very technical, but like I said "Im my opinion it does make a difference for the better, the car feels smoother yet more urgent under acceleration". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
However, it its defence, the increased octane rating allows the clever people at APR to further ****** ignition on their optimax specific program and therefore get an improved power output.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't that read "further ADVANCE ignition" as opposed to ******, Dr Rooke? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Unless, of course, you have found a way of extracting an ever increasing power output by retarding ignition timing?

The norm would certainly be to increase ignition advance to take advantage of the increased octane rating...Might be wrong though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
However, it its defence, the increased octane rating allows the clever people at APR to further ****** ignition on their optimax specific program and therefore get an improved power output.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't that read "further ADVANCE ignition" as opposed to ******, Dr Rooke? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Unless, of course, you have found a way of extracting an ever increasing power output by retarding ignition timing?

The norm would certainly be to increase ignition advance to take advantage of the increased octane rating...Might be wrong though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, too many fumes and rubber smoke for me today too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mutley said:
AndyMac,

That would be me then - here is the blurb

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=1,10,15,105,200,900,1000&Board=technical&Number=31580&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Jon, I knew I didn't dream such technically sound logic

[ QUOTE ]
bk1 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

On the inside of my petrol flap it specifies 98 / 95 RON which I have been informed indicates a preference for 98 RON.

That is also backed up here:-
S3 technical data

I've a 3.0 A4 and have used both 95Ron and Optimax since I picked the car up Aug 1st. I have alternated for periods between 95 Ron and Optimax and so far I've seen an approx 2 mpg benefit with Optimax (plus better performance).