Upgrading the brakes on A3

MikeA3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Had my car mapped a few months back and am now considering improving the brakes to handle the extra horses.

It's putting out 162bhp so i don't really see the point in going for something like the brembo kit as the benefits would be negligable IMO (also it's quite an expensive option)

I'm now thinking of changing the brakes to those used by the TT & S3 - 312mm if i'm not mistaken -has anyone else done this and if so any idea how complicated it would be and how much it's liable to set me back?

Alternatively i could go for an aftermarket setup so if anyone has any suggestions it'd be handy.

Thanks

Mike

Hello, I got a kit from this ebay seller...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/312mm-Brake-Conversion-MK4-MK3-VW-Golf-Fabia-vRS_W0QQitemZ190056271915QQihZ009QQcategoryZ23013QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are off delivery mileage Audi TT's I believe, but I went this route because all the bits were new. You could probably source the same parts for a lot cheaper from a breakers or similar though.

Fitting was easy/ok, even for somebody who'd never done it before (like me!), and I upgraded the hoses to braided items at the same time. I used a pressure bleed type thing to bleed the brakes afterwards, but I was surprised how little fluid escaped during the change, so it didn't take long.

Power wise, not as dramatically powerful as my bro's Brembo setup on his Leon, but a useful increase in power and fade resistance from my 288mm setup, and I would say worth it for the cost of the above kit. Even more so as my old pads were shot anyway.

I'm not aware of any other options before you start getting into 4 figure aftermarket kits, but a lot of people seemed to have just upgraded the discs and pads for something a bit more aggressive. (EBC/Black Diamond etc)

Jason_letts said:
What A3 Do you have mate?

Maybe just upgrade the pads and discs all round?

Jason

it's a 2002 TDI PD 130 (fwd) re-mapped to 162bhp

You can pick up a decent set of MK4 R32 front brakes for around the same as them 312mm.
332mm by 34mm discs and twin piston calipers.

You can just get caliper carriers from vw or audi (I'll post the part number asap) that move your calipers out to accept the TT discs. Then buy a set of Zimmerman (or similar) TT discs and uprate your pads (I'm using Pagid fast road and would recomend them).

You will however need 17" wheels or be willing to grind down your calipers a little to give standard 16" rims clearance.

I'm running the 312mm S3/TT setup on my 192bhp A3 with OE VAG Pads and Discs. All the stopping power i could ever need, not as fade resistant as a twin-pot setup but i don't drive in a manor that requires repeated heavy braking so it doesn't bother me.

Difference from 288mm setup is significant. With my remap they were woefully inadequate, but i also blame the fluid. I swapped to Motul RBF 600 Dot4 Race Fluid when i changed to the TT setup and i think this has helped considerably.

Second biggest improvement i made to braking was fitting Eibach Shock and H & R Springs; the car is much more stable and doesn't nose dive under braking like before. This is a good thing as prevents the back end getting 'twitchy'.

Skanky I know your local to me whereabouts did you get them fitted and how much? Need brake discs and pads asap

Thanks for the information guys, i think i'll go for the TT/S3 brake conversion when i've got some spare time, i've got 17" S3 alloys on at the moment so they should just fit on (i hope)

MikeA3 said:
i've got 17" S3 alloys on at the moment so they should just fit on (i hope)

They'll fit with room to spare ;)

Same Caliper as the 288mm setup, just spaced out by the carrier to accomadate the larger disc. I'm pretty sure they'd fit behind the 16" OE alloys too.

Tallpaul said:

Same Caliper as the 288mm setup, just spaced out by the carrier to accomadate the larger disc. I'm pretty sure they'd fit behind the 16" OE alloys too.

might be a daft question but from my understanding of the brake setup all i'd need is the new discs and pads?

MikeA3 said:
might be a daft question but from my understanding of the brake setup all i'd need is the new discs and pads?

And the Caliper Carriers to physically move the calipers further from the hub to accomadate the disc...

Discs about £80, Caliper Carriers about £140... But you can get them from a scrappie

Tallpaul said:

If your doing it on the 16's you will need to grind a little off the calipers (I know this from doing it on my mates Bora) but if your sticking with your 17's you'll have no problems :thumbsup:

Tallpaul said:

I can confirm that the 312mm set up go under OEM 16" wheels no problem, they fill the inner rim though!!!

TRS1 said:
If your doing it on the 16's you will need to grind a little off the calipers (I know this from doing it on my mates Bora) but if your sticking with your 17's you'll have no problems :thumbsup:

If they are OEM wheels you won't need to grind any off as they are designed with a slight lip oin the inside to give the adequate clearance. The V6 4mo golf's and Bora's came with this set up as standard.

His Bora had 16" bbs split rims that came on when he purchased it new.
We had to grind a little off. I'm unsure why then if your saying they fit.
Suck it and see! ;)

Just re-read my last post - it wasn't meant to sound like I was questioning you! You just seem to know what your talking about. :icon_thumright:

Maybe we had an odd set of calipers or something?!

I bought the caliper carriers from uk-mkivs for £100 and then got some new discs and fitted them myself in a couple of hours. Worthwhile upgrade if you ask me for the price.

j4jon said:
I bought the caliper carriers from uk-mkivs for £100 and then got some new discs and fitted them myself in a couple of hours. Worthwhile upgrade if you ask me for the price.

Did you fit OEM standard pads and discs or aftermarket ones?

also - has anyone done the rear brakes as well - this would have to wait for a bit but is it worth doing?

thanks again

mike