Volks AutosChris Nott
    5th Gear

Status

Upgrading the brakes on A3

Had my car mapped a few months back and am now considering improving the brakes to handle the extra horses.

It's putting out 162bhp so i don't really see the point in going for something like the brembo kit as the benefits would be negligable IMO (also it's quite an expensive option)

I'm now thinking of changing the brakes to those used by the TT & S3 - 312mm if i'm not mistaken -has anyone else done this and if so any idea how complicated it would be and how much it's liable to set me back?

Alternatively i could go for an aftermarket setup so if anyone has any suggestions it'd be handy.

Thanks

Mike

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Hello, I got a kit from this ebay seller...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/312mm-Brake-Co...QQcmdZViewItem

They are off delivery mileage Audi TT's I believe, but I went this route because all the bits were new. You could probably source the same parts for a lot cheaper from a breakers or similar though.

Fitting was easy/ok, even for somebody who'd never done it before (like me!), and I upgraded the hoses to braided items at the same time. I used a pressure bleed type thing to bleed the brakes afterwards, but I was surprised how little fluid escaped during the change, so it didn't take long.

Power wise, not as dramatically powerful as my bro's Brembo setup on his Leon, but a useful increase in power and fade resistance from my 288mm setup, and I would say worth it for the cost of the above kit. Even more so as my old pads were shot anyway.

I'm not aware of any other options before you start getting into 4 figure aftermarket kits, but a lot of people seemed to have just upgraded the discs and pads for something a bit more aggressive. (EBC/Black Diamond etc)
    Last edited by Tooks; 6th December 2006 at 15:06.
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    What A3 Do you have mate?

Maybe just upgrade the pads and discs all round?

Jason
    A3 1.8TS
    K03S,Pro Alloy FMIC, Neuspeed TIP, Forge 007P,Jabba Stage 2, BMC CDA, Turbo Back Miltek,H&R Cup Kit,H&R Arb's,18" Cup 3's Wrapped in Parada Spec 2's, Facelifted, 10k Hids, Dewipered, Debadged,S3 Interior, S3 Rear bumper, S4 Front bumper, Brembo's, Momo Team, LCR Splitter.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_letts
    What A3 Do you have mate?

Maybe just upgrade the pads and discs all round?

Jason
    it's a 2002 TDI PD 130 (fwd) re-mapped to 162bhp

6th Gear

Status
    You can pick up a decent set of MK4 R32 front brakes for around the same as them 312mm.
    332mm by 34mm discs and twin piston calipers.

Big Ron

Status
    where from?

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

6th Gear

Status
    Ebay or uk-mkiv.I sold a set not too long ago for 200.

Topper Harley

Status
    You can just get caliper carriers from vw or audi (I'll post the part number asap) that move your calipers out to accept the TT discs. Then buy a set of Zimmerman (or similar) TT discs and uprate your pads (I'm using Pagid fast road and would recomend them).

You will however need 17" wheels or be willing to grind down your calipers a little to give standard 16" rims clearance.
    Last edited by TRS1; 6th December 2006 at 19:04.

Topper Harley

Status

4th Gear

Status
    I'm running the 312mm S3/TT setup on my 192bhp A3 with OE VAG Pads and Discs. All the stopping power i could ever need, not as fade resistant as a twin-pot setup but i don't drive in a manor that requires repeated heavy braking so it doesn't bother me.

Difference from 288mm setup is significant. With my remap they were woefully inadequate, but i also blame the fluid. I swapped to Motul RBF 600 Dot4 Race Fluid when i changed to the TT setup and i think this has helped considerably.

Second biggest improvement i made to braking was fitting Eibach Shock and H & R Springs; the car is much more stable and doesn't nose dive under braking like before. This is a good thing as prevents the back end getting 'twitchy'.

2nd Gear

Status
    i got mine from here: http://www.golfturbo.com/ and another set for a mate.

Big Ron

Status
    Skanky I know your local to me whereabouts did you get them fitted and how much? Need brake discs and pads asap

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the information guys, i think i'll go for the TT/S3 brake conversion when i've got some spare time, i've got 17" S3 alloys on at the moment so they should just fit on (i hope)

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeA3
    i've got 17" S3 alloys on at the moment so they should just fit on (i hope)
    They'll fit with room to spare

Same Caliper as the 288mm setup, just spaced out by the carrier to accomadate the larger disc. I'm pretty sure they'd fit behind the 16" OE alloys too.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallpaul

Same Caliper as the 288mm setup, just spaced out by the carrier to accomadate the larger disc. I'm pretty sure they'd fit behind the 16" OE alloys too.
    might be a daft question but from my understanding of the brake setup all i'd need is the new discs and pads?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeA3
    might be a daft question but from my understanding of the brake setup all i'd need is the new discs and pads?
    And the Caliper Carriers to physically move the calipers further from the hub to accomadate the disc...

Discs about 80, Caliper Carriers about 140... But you can get them from a scrappie

Topper Harley

Status

If your doing it on the 16's you will need to grind a little off the calipers (I know this from doing it on my mates Bora) but if your sticking with your 17's you'll have no problems

Reverse Gear

Status

I can confirm that the 312mm set up go under OEM 16" wheels no problem, they fill the inner rim though!!!
    '02 Golf GTI Turbo
    Xenons | Santas | Milltek | .:R32 Front Bumper | Pentagon Tints | Forge DV | K&N | TT Pedals | W8 Light | '03 Wipers | US Spec Rear Clusters | Custom Rear Wiper | foxy mods | H&R -35mm & More!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TRS1
    If your doing it on the 16's you will need to grind a little off the calipers (I know this from doing it on my mates Bora) but if your sticking with your 17's you'll have no problems
    If they are OEM wheels you won't need to grind any off as they are designed with a slight lip oin the inside to give the adequate clearance. The V6 4mo golf's and Bora's came with this set up as standard.
    '02 Golf GTI Turbo
    Xenons | Santas | Milltek | .:R32 Front Bumper | Pentagon Tints | Forge DV | K&N | TT Pedals | W8 Light | '03 Wipers | US Spec Rear Clusters | Custom Rear Wiper | foxy mods | H&R -35mm & More!

Topper Harley

Status
    His Bora had 16" bbs split rims that came on when he purchased it new.
    We had to grind a little off. I'm unsure why then if your saying they fit.
    Suck it and see!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Never come across an OEM set that wouldn't clear but there is always the 1st time and I stand corrected!
    '02 Golf GTI Turbo

Topper Harley

Status
    Do you do this mod a lot then matey?

Reverse Gear

Status
    I don't fit them myself but lots of people who know me have!
    '02 Golf GTI Turbo

Topper Harley

Status
    Just re-read my last post - it wasn't meant to sound like I was questioning you! You just seem to know what your talking about.

Maybe we had an odd set of calipers or something?!

Topper Harley

Status

4th Gear

Status
    I bought the caliper carriers from uk-mkivs for £100 and then got some new discs and fitted them myself in a couple of hours. Worthwhile upgrade if you ask me for the price.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by j4jon
    I bought the caliper carriers from uk-mkivs for 100 and then got some new discs and fitted them myself in a couple of hours. Worthwhile upgrade if you ask me for the price.
    Did you fit OEM standard pads and discs or aftermarket ones?

also - has anyone done the rear brakes as well - this would have to wait for a bit but is it worth doing?

thanks again

mike