V5 reg doc question

simch

Reaction score
I I put a deposit down on a nice spec'd 03 S3 yesterday from a private buyer, having done a prelim HPI check and it all came out ok, HPI data ceck now want me to update with some document info that I only saw when viewing the car, ie after the first basic check.
It asks for the v5 document serial number, and date of issue. Are these the items in the s9 of the new style v5s?
it asks for MOT cert number, I entered the "test" number as its a new style computer MOT and it would not accept it? Any ideas
Finally, and perhaps most unusually, the engine number per the V5c is shown as "NOT KNOWN". Its a one owner car, three years old, the guy has moved house one, but no other changes to the V5 (apart from change of address). Could it be that this info was just never input to DVLA at new reg?

And then daft question, is there anyway of checking the engine number, perhaps to an audi dealer network computer, as there is no other doc to check it to?

Any help appreciated guys.

There's no such thing as an MOT certificate number. As it's all computerised then anyone can check the status and history of a vehicles MOT's online, all you need is the Reg and MOT test number or the Ref No. from the V5.
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECSID-Internet-Status-Request.jsp

Can't see why they'd need it anyway as everything to do with the vehicle can be checked online with the reg and chassis number or V5 ref. This is how people like Autoglass can replace your windscreen without you providing any info other than the Reg.

you could contact audi and enquire about the service history etc i did that with an m5 we were looking to buy I would take much notice of the hpi check any way if you know waht you are doing you can get any accident iformation removed:sadlike:
The last 4 cars i bought came without logbooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and front ends!!!

Reg number is not showing on audi system, chassis number is, comes up as an import..? Not sure if this matters too much, its out of warrnaty anyway, but local dealer says no record of ever being at an audit garage? I saw the history, (only 2 long life services, most recent in Jan at 36k), and saw the health check sheet from that service too. O I am sure its been done, rang the dealer who did it who confirmed it fromt he reg number, (not chassis) and confirmed the invoice, (in fact two invoices for nearly a grand together only a few days apart). One is described as service, the other general mechanical, but there is no details fo the work done as "we've been taken over and there is no detailed records prior to take over!" WTF, I thought all dealers showuld be centrally linked ...or is this only for audi UK cars?

What do you guys think?

personally I wouldnt buy it. insurance will be more, plus it may be hard to sell on again

there are plenty of S3's out there for sale, just dont rush into anything...

Insurance is the same its not a grey import, its a full UK spec car.

As for resale, anything sells for right money I suppose. What do you guys think a Virgin EU sourced UK spec car is worth compared to a same spec UK official car? Once warrnaty is over, I'm not sure why they would be any difference in value, other than one was cheaper to begin with?!

OK, your situation basically sounds like the first few months of my audi dealer souced "approved" used s3. It too is an import.

1. I have the same details on the V5c as you descibe - no problem.

2. I also had 'missing' history according to dialogue, even though the service book was fully stamped up, and paperwork with receipts was sold with the car. I asked them to fill in the details on dialogue, as it was becomig a pain when i took it in for work I'd get a big red stamp with "NO SERVICE HISTORY" on the work-sheet.... that got sorted and i was happy.

3. Most insurers will now insure full UK spec personal imports without the need to declare them, but worth checking.

UK spec imports are an absolute bargain. They mean you can get a (usually) fully loaded car. Some people wont touch one, due to scare stories about 'greys', but they're missing out.

Audi Dealer's don't keep all SH records and you certainly cannot obtain the info from a different dealer. I had the same issue when I purchased my car in January, contacted my local dealer (the supplying dealer) and no record of service as it had been done elsewhere. I contacted the serviding dealer and they didn't keep anything over 2 years old!
Now Toyota, thats another story....

col6821, all i can suggest is that the dealer your car was serviced at previously was an extremely bad one. All work done on VAG cars should be entered on dialogue - thats the point of it.

As for saying that they dont keep records over 2 years, they must be lying. Companies have to keep records for at least 6 years (and i think its 10) for financial auditing purposes.

I think you are sort of both right, I now traced both the previous services, (audi long life service at 18k and 36k) with the respective dealers, but there is NOTHING showing on any other dealer system.
My concern wiht this for us all is that if you buy a car that say had a grands eorth of service and other work done in say Jan 06, (like this one I bought did!) and you don't get the invoices from the old owner, there si NOTHING that will tell you on say another dealer's system as to what parts were replaced and remeber, we all get 2 years warranty on genuine parts, (wheter fitted by audi or not). So may this is why the dealers dont enter stuff on dialogue.....!! Because there is less chance of a successful warranty claim!

NOW VW for eg, are able to look at the car's history no matter where it has been serviced, or at least that's what I found with my golf.

So I feel much happier now, espeically as I spoke ot a feeindly local dealer who did the first service and explained my dilema the service manager was very helpful, Suggested when I actually get the car, to pop in and they would enter all the relevant data on the audi system to make sure it does not happen again.

Jsut looking forward to getting it now, its mint .....and I have some big plans for it once I've done a few miles in it to ensure there is nothing too nasty wrong with the mechanicals or anything!!
OH and yes it is fully loaded and I think I got a good deal on it! Certainly compared to others I've seen and some at the dealers..??!!??!?

Cheers guys

BTW, if I get the engine number off the car, can I confirm it with say Audi Germany or the factory to ensure its the right one!! I mean there si nothing anywhere to compare to on anny docs or systems in the UK it seems!! Weird!

Madvw, I agree, they must have been poor. Luckily the car came with all the LL service receipts and also those for additional work carried out (ARB's NOT under warranty, brake discs and pads etc).
The dealer that completed the last service, cited a new computer system as the reason for no previous data. I work in IT and would lose my job if I replaced systems and lost data!!
It's most recent service at 74k was done by an independent, I can't see the benefit of Audi SH (maybe I will when I come to sell it)?!

To bea fair, once its outside the warrnaty period I agree, an independent service hsitory on some cars is worth more. I have a "classic!" (read old!!) POrker and the service history from an independant is worth golddust....the car is older than most of the techs at my local POrsche centre!! At least they actually work on these cars aday in say out at the independant place and actually carry manuals etc for them! ! Anything older than a 993, forget about it at an OfficialPorsche Centre!!!

I think my S3 will have some bits done at APS and Jabbasport. Maybe the odd oilchange at a dealer