A3 1.8T Turbo Upgrade

FatLad

Reaction score
Looking to give my car just that extra bit of oomph and was considering a bigger turbo. Has anyone had the above work undertaken and if can I have your comments ?? Here's some pointers ;

Was it worth it ??
What bhp are you running ??
How much did you pay ??
Did you uprate any other components to cope e.g bigger intercooler over standard one ??
Can I expect abnormal engine wear ??
Should I look to change the cambelt sooner etc etc. if it's going to be getting more stick ??

Currently my car, a 1997 R reg (December) on 41K has the following mods ;

Revised engine chip,
Big bore inlet pipe to turbo,
K&N panel filter,
Stratmosphere DV,
Milltek highflow cat,
STW Scorpion SS exhaust

MTM have quoted £1220 +vat which includes engine remap and suggest around 240 - 250 bhp when finished ???

Hi, Off topic but how did you get on with the K & N Filter? Does it make much difference? The model filter I have seen is 57i. It says it will give 7-10PS extra. Truth or pants? I have just chipped mine with new DV and getting 195bhp. I was also looking at the turbo inlet pipe. AmD do one relatively cheap. How much power is yours running? Thanks. Graham

I deliberatted and cogitated to quote that ballbag on the telly about what filter to go for, some saying the pre-oiled K&N panel filter would stuff up my maf sensor yet a cone like 57i kit would just suck in hot air if not properly sheilded. If you read other sites the debate goes on and on with many happy users of both types. In the end the risk of sucking in hot air swung me towards the panel filter housed in the car's original air box. I consider the results very good yet can't give you bhp figures because I've not had the car rolling roaded (I plan to soon) but when installed with just my cat-back Scorpion exhaust at the time, I felt the car breathed much much better and made it run more smoothly and with added oomph. For best results clean out the air box thoroughly (no brainer really), I was surprised to see how much crap had accumulated and let the the filter drain over night since they do come very oiled up. The kit also comes with a small tube of air box sealant grease which you squirt into the groove around the top of the box to ensure an air tight fit.

As for the big bore inlet pipe it's harder to tell. I had it fitted when I had my highflow cat and stratmosphere DV fitted (the former I can recommend very highly, if you ring Milltek they will say there isn't one listed for the A3 yet the one for the Golf 1.8T does the job nicely and fits perfectly). I originally rang MTM for all 3 bits yet because I work in Nottingham where Milltek are located they sent up the bigger bore inlet pipe for Milltek to fit which they did without any trouble, they also stocked the DV. I suppose I just had one because Kim Colins (QST/MTM) said it was a revision Audi made to later 1.8T's so could only make the car go better (5 bhp seems to be quoted everywhere yet does sound a bit optimistic I must admit). In fact you may not even need one, Kim said early models have a black pipe which mine did and later models a silver alloy one of bigger bore - so check first.

As I've prattled on this far I might as well tell you that I strictly had two bigger bore inlet pipes, the one mentioned above and one from ABT which they mistakingly sent me to replace the air box inlet pipe which had perished on my car through what I can only presume was age and heat build up in the engine bay. It cost £200 ! as compared to Audi's revised part at £100 from MTM. When I said I needed to send it back because I already had a bigger bore pipe fitted they said I may have got a bigger pipe but there's went one step further and was derived from their racing heritage. ******** I said since I compared the Audi part with theirs and yes the casting was marginally different yet the bore identical so I couldn't justify fiitting it at £100 pounds more. After many an arguement I sent it back and got a refund.

[ QUOTE ]
cpt_splash said:
Hi, Off topic but how did you get on with the K & N Filter? Does it make much difference? The model filter I have seen is 57i. It says it will give 7-10PS extra. Truth or pants? I have just chipped mine with new DV and getting 195bhp. I was also looking at the turbo inlet pipe. AmD do one relatively cheap. How much power is yours running? Thanks. Graham

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

oiled filters will screw the MAF over time! No doubt about it... The way forward for uprated filters is stainless gauze (unoiled stainless steel mesh).

Check out this

Groupbuy has ended... ut will still offer a 5% discount to ALL audi-sport members!

Rich