Engine Noise in 4th and 5th

BiffS3

Reaction score
Hi all

New to forum but would like some advice please.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with regards a strange noise? My S3 is booked in for a service next week and I have asked them to road check the car to explain a noise that is worrying me a little. Has anyone experienced this before?

Not being mechanically minded I will attempt to explain it as best I can.

Going along in 4th or 5th, quite quickly, take foot off the gas and the engine makes a vibrating noise or rumble as it uses the engine to slow down.

Any ideas or am I being clueless?

Many thanks
Biff
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hi Biff - welcome to the forums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does this happen at around 3000rpm? If so, I get this noise too, and I've just been putting it down to an exhaust that's on its way out - perhaps it's more serious than that?

Hi Alex

It does seem to happen at about 3000rpm! Maybe someone knows something we don't? Let's wait and see.

Morning and welcome.

I had an issue with my S3 where there was a resonating sound when the car was around 3000k in the high gears and around/slightly lower in the low gears, it was also happening when I was just coasting along. I thought it to be a number of issues heatmanifold, loose connection somewhere, exhaust etc. So took it into my dealer, on return they discovered that it was the rear tyres causing the sound due to 'high and low' spots on the tyres themselves. Looking at the tyres they were quite bad, so I got them changed and hey presto the noises went.

Hopefully it'll be that as it was a cheaper alternative to some expensive warranty work that may have been needed.

Cheers

Well mine's definitely exhaust/engine-related - decelerating on the motorway in 6th so the revs pass through the 3000-rpm band I get the low rumble/vibration, but even if I just slightly touch the accelerator (not enough to start accelerating though) the noise disappears.

I was going to solve the problem by getting a full Milltek stainless steel exhaust, but I think that's a few months away at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hmmm, thats what I thought and was astounded when they said it was the tyres, even went out in the car with the technician to point out the sound, straightaway he was like 'Yep High and low spots sir'. Worth a check anyway, just imagine if the noise was still there after you got the Milltek...only then you probably wouldn't hear it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif