From Corrado to S3 ?

noslojo

Reaction score
Website
www.starperformance.co.uk
Hi All,

Looking at changing my Corrado for an S3. Would be interested to know if anyone out there either has both cars or has previously owned a Corrado and moved onto an S3.

Still love my Corrado but it's getting time to move on and want something a bit more tunable too. What I like best is the Corrado is a dream drive with fantastic steering and handling, especially as mine's is slammed on Koni coilovers and 17" wheels.

So anyone out there willing to offer their 2p worth ???

TIA

No_Slo_Jo !

well, the s3 will feel a bit more heavy to drive...not quite as chuckable.

what engine does your corrado have?

Hey,

Thanks for the reply ! And sorry for not mentioning it but I'm a forum newbie who will probably take about 6 months to find the right car as i like to do lots of homework before buying mainly as I can't afford to change too often so like to get it right. I've already been working my way through the threads on this forum and been impressed by the advice and help on offer.

It's a modded 2.0L 16V with around 165-170bhp. As it's lighter than a VR it just about keeps up on the straights but I can kick @ss on the twisty stuff. Also great for getting the car drifting around bigger roundabouts using the throttle to control the slide.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I'm some fantastic driver, the car makes this sort of fun very accessible. VRs are more nose heavy and make this sort of thing much harder.
Looks like I'll have to try and blagg a test drive from a dealer. Anyone know a decent dealer in central Scotland or will I have to trail into Edinbugger ? I'm near Stirling, Scotland by the way.

Cheers

Welcome to the boards,

If you want to 'hang it out' the S3 will be quite difficult to do so...I've tried. You can get the drift on but no back-end tricks otherwise it will follow you round the roundabout/bend.

With the S3 you'll be looking at 14k+ for a resonable one you can then tune it up to how you feel. For the 14K you'd get a 210hp 2000 version I guess, if you want the 225hp @ £19K or so.

You will still get the mod cons: climate control, electrics alround, Xenon lights, leather interior, Recaro seats, 4WD etc. Options to look at are Armrest (a must), Heated Seats (a defo must), 6CD (goes without saying), Sunroof, Alu mirrors.

Don't know any dealers in the Outer Hebridies but if you have a look in the Dealer Forum there maybe something in there.

Like the Corrado and always will, the Supercharged one I liked and a mate had one before he blew it up by tinkering a bit too much under the bonnet!

Taking a vaguely similar step from Golf GTi 16V (approx 165bhp) to S3.
Didn't get a very welcome reception from the local Audi dealer as I clearly don't look the part!
Got decent info on the few remaining new ones though.
Going to have to move pretty fast to get one of them!

The wife has the Corrado in the UK, the big differance is the twisty stuff in the corrado you always seem to come out the other side thinking maybe i could have done that quicker in the S3 you don't !! but that may be because it is quicker. Also the ride in the S3 is not so harsh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Muchos gracias guys, lots of replies

I'll probably be looking at a 2000 model and maybe squeeze out a facelifted one if I'm lucky. I'll have £15K max depending on what the C goes for. Like my cars to look good but have almost that factory modded look to them.
The S3 is a bit more subtle than the Corrado so I reckon it will need to be a primary colour - 1st choice would be yellow, then red then nigaro blue.

Also I will have to chip it - had quite a lot of VW experience with regards tuning/chipping and will probably go for APR, MTM or Oettinger. Sorry but just won't touch Revo or Superchips - I won't bore you with the reasons.
Now the options, not fussed about a sunroof as I need plenty of head room for my big fat head ! The arm rest ??? why so important ? Heated seats - oh yes please !
6CD very handy but always just had a single CD in my previous cars - maybe a change of make needs a change of habit? Alu mirrors - I do like but only on certain colours and so long as they go with other shiney bits on the exterior.

What about Reiger RS4 style bumpers or have I just mentioned the unforgiveable here ?

"Don't know any dealers in the Outer Hebridies but if you have a look in the Dealer Forum there maybe something in there."
Will have a look, cheers !

"Like the Corrado and always will, the Supercharged one I liked and a mate had one before he blew it up by tinkering a bit too much under the bonnet!"
Yup there is a line you don't cross with tuning the G-ladder. The only reason I didn't buy a G60 was I hated the very 80s interior with it's stripey switches etc. and while your probably thinking it I'll just answer - Yes I am sad !

Wow thats a bit if a post - luckily I'm off work today, woo hoo !

laters,

I had a 2.0 16v (K reg) and a VR6 Corrado (M reg) - and would have had another one if they hadn't stopped making them! IMHO the S3 is faster on acceleration, and once you get used to the quattro system, it's quicker thru the twisty stuff. The S3 brakes are not as good - I never had a problem with those on the Corrado - In 2 S3's Ive gone through 4 sets of discs!

Believe it or not, the S3 is also easier on it's tyres(quattro again).

You'll luv it!

DJ

[ QUOTE ]
No_Slo_Jo said:

It's a modded 2.0L 16V with around 165-170bhp. As it's lighter than a VR it just about keeps up on the straights but I can kick @ss on the twisty stuff. Also great for getting the car drifting around bigger roundabouts using the throttle to control the slide.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I'm some fantastic driver, the car makes this sort of fun very accessible. VRs are more nose heavy and make this sort of thing much harder.
Looks like I'll have to try and blagg a test drive from a dealer. Anyone know a decent dealer in central Scotland or will I have to trail into Edinbugger ? I'm near Stirling, Scotland by the way.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

i drive a golf vr6 and yes you can feel the extra wait on the front...but's it not that much of an issue if you change your drivin style to suit (drive it on its nose...if you know what i mean). i would've thought a vr6 would def pull away on the motorway when you get up to seriously illegal speeds!

Arvo,

On the colour, if you go for the yellow, get the one with the matching leather interior, for the red go for Misano Red, on the Noggy Blue fair shout.

On the chip each to their own, what are you looking to go up to?

I just like the armrest, they are a few heretics on here that don't understand the wonderful functionality it gives your S3! Not one for the Alu mirrors, like you say on some colours they are fine but not on all plus I see to many of them around on other cars.

Don't know the Reiger ones, may have seen them, but the ones I am partial too are the s3-tuning ones ( Bad Boy S3 ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Also by the looks of it Lomond and Stirling Audi are the ones good for you.

Good luck

Hi Guys,

Thans again for all the info, I'll keep on doing my research and sussing out which way to go with things but it's looking like Imola Yellow, with black/yellow electric interior (how the heck I will keep it clean I don't know!).

Mods will include coilovers and rechip (prob APR as I have a tuner quite close called Star Performance who do their stuff and they seem to know what they are talking about - they also did the first RS6 in the UK ??? if you belive The Sun !!!

Eventually things like RS4 style bumper and uprated sounds will come. BTW I know a bit about sounds as I've been involved with car hifi for several years. Don't know much about the S3 system though as it's so built in with the car - not sure if I like this but can't see how you could replace the head unit.

Thanks again

my insurance on a g60 is over 4k but on a s3 its 1299

weird. wots the 0-60 on the g60?

its not that great - in the low 7s but a lot of thats to do with the gearing and the usual issues with FWD. Bear in mind a standard G60 has 160bhp but 210bhp is relatively easy to get to.

i'd have never picked a g60 over a vr6, just for the reliabilty..vr6=bomb proof, the supercharger isn't the worlds most reliable device.

[ QUOTE ]
acf8181 said:
i'd have never picked a g60 over a vr6, just for the reliabilty..vr6=bomb proof, the supercharger isn't the worlds most reliable device.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never a truer word spoken after my experience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry but can only disagree here as every guy I know with a G60 (and thats a good few dozen) says the same - look after the charger and there's no probs - all they mean is regular servicing (not by VW stealerships either as they no diddley about chargers) and overhaul every £40K miles.
A rechip, pulley and exhaust gives approx 190 bhp which means it kicks VR butt as it's lighter and handles better.
The guys on the Corrado Egroup who seem to have most probs are those with VR's especially if they start to tinker. Want lots of probs then supercharge a VR - your local nut house will set a room aside for you once they find out your trying this ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
The bad press for G60s mostly came from chargers blowing that had not been properly maintained by stealers and this scared off VW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6 Years ago i had an Corrado 2.9 Vr6, wich was real quick in that time. (I thought) I also had an Honda CBR900RR that time. Now ive got a 250 PK (BPH) Audi S3, wich i love and think it's quick. But i think the Corrado was almost as quick as this car. I'm not so impressed with the Audi power.

I've got a chipped S3 and a mk2 golf vr6 and i'd say the vr6 is as quick or quicker. The vr6 just lacks the traction.

A supercharged vr6 is a monster.

i've never driven a cprrado vr6, but i think the golf vr6 is a very disceptive car...it's a lot faster than it feels. s3 is fractionally quicker than the golf, i'd say (thats comparing with a 225bhp s3) so its quite possible that the corrado vr6 is a little quicker.

but having said that, the power comes in in very different ways...a vr6 has to be wound up more.

Low down the S3 is quicker but it's after 100mph when the vr6 comes into play. My S3 isn't standard and i've even been along side a few of my mates with their chipped tt quattro's and the vr6 is by their side.

[ QUOTE ]
Hiten said:
Low down the S3 is quicker but it's after 100mph when the vr6 comes into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly the conclusion i've been coming to (i take it your talkin about golf vr6's?)

I might have the best of both worlds,

I've a highly modified S3 and a Corrado(formerly a g60) with a 6sp box,quaife LSD and an S3 engine on DTA management.

A sorted S3 can be chucked around like a Corrado,but it needs money spending on it,biggest difference is low speed ride comfort and the S3 ability to absorb bumps and dips(I run H&R Coilovers by the way)also stabilty under braking in the S3 is superb,the Corrado by comparison needs more effort to drive quickly,still one of the finest handling FWD cars out there though.......