oil pump failure early warnings ?

mad max

sixth gear
Reaction score
have owned two cars now with the same 1.8t engine namely 225 tt and now my s3 so i know they can sound noisy on initial start up because of hydraulic tappets.i have noticed of late it is taking several minutes or untill the engine has completely warmed up however for this noise to subside.my old tt was never this noisy is this because they had a non return valve.do you guys think this is an early sign of oil pump feed pipe blockage.not getting any oil warning signs coming up.would an oil pressure test show up any potential problems ? would appreciate any advice:thumbsup:

I think an oil pressure light would trigure if the pump was on its way out.....

more likely (perhaps) is that the hydraulic lifters are full of crap and oil isn't able to flow in as freely as it once could > hence no lubrication > hence the increased noise as it's metal-on-metal

this isn't a good thing in itself - I think audi say up to 2 minutes is normal and anything more than that requires replacement. btw adding an engine flush to the oil doesn't seem to work either (and isn't recomended by audi!). however, you could try it if you're close to an oil change - apparently forte brand is the best.

i have read about a fault with the strainer on the pump feed pipe.the gauze filter is quite fine and can become blocked and can starve the pump of oil .the pressure remains stable,its just that not enough oil is being supplied to the various components.if the camchain variator is starved of oil for any length of time the rattle can become permanent.before any of this happens would i get any early indications such as exhaust smoking or oil light on the dash.
anyone had anything similar on their car

VAGMAN1 said:
I think an oil pressure light would trigure if the pump was on its way out.....

more likely (perhaps) is that the hydraulic lifters are full of crap and oil isn't able to flow in as freely as it once could > hence no lubrication > hence the increased noise as it's metal-on-metal

this isn't a good thing in itself - I think audi say up to 2 minutes is normal and anything more than that requires replacement. btw adding an engine flush to the oil doesn't seem to work either (and isn't recomended by audi!). however, you could try it if you're close to an oil change - apparently forte brand is the best.

What are the possible consequences of this as I can here the lifters I think (car has covered 93K).

Cheers,

B.

it can remain undetected for some time causing damage to the turbo and the cam timing variator before any audible warning is heard or the oil pressure light comes on.utimately this damage would affect performance as the valve timing is affected.
can anyone add to this or has anyone got first hand knowledge of this problem ?

I've read about this somewhere,I've tried searching ukmkiv,and votex,but i can't find any mention of it.It might have been the guy who writes the technical colum,in Audi driver who mentioned it,but I've definetly read the same thing as you Max.If you catch it early,take the sump off and clean it,and all should be well,finger's crossed.

bantam1 said:
What are the possible consequences of this as I can here the lifters I think (car has covered 93K).

Cheers,

B.
not shirt lifters i hope or we are in trouble:scared2:

sorry couldnt resist it

oil pump will kill the engine almost instantly no warning.