Best £40 Iv'e ever spent....

JamS3

Reaction score
Just finally bought a N75J valve from the local dealer and wondering why I never did this before!

Given a extra 4-6psi of boost so now spiking around the 20-21psi mark in 4th, 5th and 6th gears at low revs. Throttle repsonse much sharper and lower gears now much more aggressive on boost.

It gives the AMD remap a little "edge" now as it was a good remap but needed a bit more aggressive boost delivery in my opinion!

No signs of limp mode yet and I was driving it all yesterday...

Dont think it will ever hit limp only maxing out at 21-22psi

Can i also bennefit from this, running an AGU engined 1.8T with remap?

How much do these valves cost? and where is it located?
cheers

The trouble is you get more boost but i dont think you get fueling adapted to suit so it could run lean.I tried one on mine but with vagcom plotted runs it did spike more but it was not as progressive and smooth.

Pete69zx said:
Can i also bennefit from this, running an AGU engined 1.8T with remap?
Yes you can.Its located on the TIP inbetween the turbo and MAF.

The brown thing in the picture.
123404935_a75547d00e_m.jpg

ANDYTQ said:
The trouble is you get more boost but i dont think you get fueling adapted to suit so it could run lean.I tried one on mine but with vagcom plotted runs it did spike more but it was not as progressive and smooth.

Yup more boost but where's the extra fuel coming from? No such thing as a free lunch...

Ive been running one of these J valves on my golf(agu) for over 3 years and haven't had a problem with it.

You could always try the H variant on your agu Pete69zx.Its abit more aggressive than the J.Some people like it though.

Tallpaul said:
Yup more boost but where's the extra fuel coming from? No such thing as a free lunch...

Not a great idea to run a turbo'd car lean.

james0808 said:
Had my golf on two different rollers and wasn't lean.

If people are fitting things then ensuring that the engine is running correctly with them, then all good. It's chucking bits on and not logging/measuring to enusre that safety is still there that i think is crazy.

what do most of the engines have as standard on them and is there a power increase with this j valve or just more aggressive on boost?

Alot of people have been running this "modification" for years and years on their cars...I personally have NEVER heard of engine problems/malfunctions.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=4578

from Glen's comments from post#10 onwards ,

its clear to me its something not worth dabbling with unless you really know what your doing, and how to check things are still running within acceptable parameters.

its certainly not something i would want to worry about.

Seems alot of tuners (not wanting to name names at this stage!) are happy to put this mod on without testing so can't be all that bad!

Don't forget the higher boost is ony on for fractions of a second ie spiking

Have a look on uk-mkiv's.There are plenty of people on there with this mod.

Spoke with a Audi mechanic today...

Limp mode will kick in before any damage occurs, thats why it is there ie overboosting.

Apparently the engine ecu will automatically add more fuel if it senses more air going in.

He went out in my car and could find no signs of pinking/detonation ie car running lean so I'm happy!

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but find me a thread on any forum where a N75J valve had caused engine damage and I'll be surprised. As people have said loads of people are running with this mod.

JamS3 said:
Seems alot of tuners (not wanting to name names at this stage!) are happy to put this mod on without testing so can't be all that bad!
A lot of tuners put mods on because they have to assume the manufacturer has tested it, this is simply something someone else has tried in response to the ECS Race valve mod from the states. I mean why pay ECS when you can get similar direct from a dealer.

The ECS N75 race valve and other variants may produce limp mode but the race valve is the least likely to do it compared to using H/J versions which are more agressive.

Its also less likely on cars with simple mods like a remap only.

1. If you play with DV shimming or stronger springs , you are more likely to hit limp mode.

2. Limp mode and boost spikes wont neccesarily occur at full throttle and in fact are less likely at full throttle.

Its the partial throttle situations and in particular around your typical peak boost rev range to watch out for. try testing partial throttle acceleration at around 2800 revs. You may be fine , but try some tests like that because it better to find out when you may expect it than to find out when you are trying to overtake.

so should the car hit limp mode is it a case of simply putting the standard N75 valve or do you need dianostics ?

mattyboy199 said:
so should the car hit limp mode is it a case of simply putting the standard N75 valve or do you need dianostics ?

goes back to normal when you switch the ignition off and back on again, though you would most likely have triggered a fault code stored in the ECU.