Rear roof rattle - SO annoying

benk

Reaction score
I get a super-annoying roof rattle coming from the plastic panels that line the roof above the parcel shelf.

I think it's the part where the long panel above the rear headrests joins a side panel near the rear-left passenger seat.

During a drive, my brother sat in the back and pressed the long panel VERY hard upwards, about six inches from the end, and the rattle stopped, but you have to press really hard to get it to stop.

Has anyone else had this? It's a real distraction, like some midget sending morse code from the boot.
Is it easy to remove these plastic panels, or do I risk damaging/breaking them and causing more rattles, etc?

Many thanks. Please help before I go super-loopy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
B

Hey,

My parents have an A4 2.5TDI Quattro and they have the same thing! It's quite faint but when you're sitting right by it it's really annoying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif! It does stop when you press on it though!
Something for them to look at next time it goes in!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

This rattle is there most of the time, not really loud, but loud enough to bug the hell out of you when driving. It actually sounds like the parcel shelf is bumping up and down all the time, but it's definitely from within the plastic headlining at the back.
Has anyone ever removed theirs - is it easy and will it go back? I'm guessing the noise is plastic rubbing, but it could be something like a metal part rattling, and pressing the plastic up stops the metal. I can't remember if that's about where the boot hinge joins..