Which A3 To Go For? Need Advice Please

emzino

Reaction score
Hi there. I've been saving about 12months for a A3 facelift model and finally the time has come but i've come across 3 choices. I'll make this as short as I can... Btw, there all 1.6.

1) 2000, Black, 62k, ew, em, sunroof, cl, 3door, £4795.
2) 2001, Silver, 74k, ew, em, cl, 5door, computer, sat nav, £4700.
3) 2000, Blue, 40k, ew, em, sunroof, computer, 3door, blue plastic interior (hate that). £5000.

I'd go for 3 but when I have black available it's hard plus the interior on the Blue is really bad but can it be dealt with?
Is the Computer really good to have?

Thanks in advance.

whichever one you choose, thats a lot of money for a 1.6

is the computer worth it? no.
sunroof was a must for me though, and i wouldn't buy a car with an interior you cant handle - its the bit your going to be staring at the most...

I'd get whichever I liked spending time in the most, it's not going to be very quick so you might as well make it somewhere you want to spend time.

I hate sunroofs and don't really see the point in the computer nice to play with I guess.

Not sure I'd be spending £5k on a 1.6 A3 though...

I have a 1.6 and i would say dont buy one, especially not at those prices.

a 1.8 is the minimum i would have now, much more comfortable drive especially on the motorway, im assuming you cant have a turbo for insurance reasons?

I know your all right. It is very expensive for a 1.6 but I can't find it any cheaper, not for the facelift version i'm looking for as well.

I would love a 1.8 or even a 1.8T but as you pointed out rodenal the insurance would finish me off plus the petrol but I think i'm going to give a miss on the Blue (3) one.
Gonna try and get the Black down to £4500, if not I might pay £4600 for it.

u ever thaught of going for the TDI? i have the 130 quattro, i know insurance may kill u on that but the 110BHP version couldnt b too bad, a remap would take it to around 130-40 ish. just a thaught.

I would LOVE the TDI but it's too expensive for me at the moment. I'd have to save for another 6months and i've already been saving for a year now.
It's not that im impatient, I actually need the car for genuine reasons, not just for the sake of knowing that i've got one, which is why I don't think I can hold out for another 6months.

Damnit A3's are so overpriced :(

i know how u feel mate, unlucky but even tho u'll b chuffed wen u get crusiing in your wat eva is under the bonnet! :blackrs4:

Hehe thanks Quattro :) So far this is what I am dreaming of and this would make it perfect!...
1) Audi A3. HAS to be the facelift. Love the clear front lights and S3 rears.
2) RS6 18" alloys with F1 tyres. Don't know the number stuff but it has to be thick. Not beach buggy thick but just right. Infact, I believe the F1 tyres have been discontinued and replaced? But don't know what by.
3) Drilled & Grooved big brakes. Because the rims will be 18", gotta have the big brakes and got to be drilled & grooved, would look ace! Plus it's good for braking and i'm very concious about security.

That would be it. Not bothered about the rest. Think the 1.6 would help me slow down too, got a bit of a heavy foot. It'd be my cruise car >)

to get a lower spec for insurance reasons, then modify it to increase your premium makes no sense.

Just out of interest how old are you? I pay silly amounts of insurance for my 1.8T but i am 17,

Theres no way id pay that for a 1.6 A3 i personally wouldnt get an A3 if your looking at a non turbo 1.6 or 1.8 better options for that money IMO.

Jason

I agree, i would buy a different car, buy a 1.6 golf or a tdi ibiza or leon for that money.

Another thing, the 1.6's are rubbish on fuel, im lucky to see over 32ish mpg even on long trips and i dont drive it like a tool, and there's nothing wrong with it just the way they are.

I have to say id be very wary of that car at that price, looks like a definate writeoff, traders are never that generous

Thanks for all the links and advice :)

I am 20 with 1 claim (not my fault) & 1 conviction (crossed a verge on a dead motorway on new years day).

I just love the looks of the A3 and i'm not modifying it to go faster, i'm doing subtle mods on looks just to make it look great. I don't think rims and brakes are anything major.
Now i'd love the 1.8 to get a much smoother ride but i'm already getting quoted £1100+ on the 1.6.
I also previously rang the cheap TDI 130 on autotrader and it's a CAT D. It'd been damaged in an accident in 2004 then repaired but there is no indication of what exactly happened in an HPI check so I left it.

I might just get a Polo again and be happy with it until I can afford a A3. It's just at 20, I wanted a more mature car and the Golfs I just despise lol. There nice don't get me wrong, but there so common and they look so blah heh

Well thanks again for all your time and help. Think I might bite the bullet and get a Polo.

Try FIREBOND for insurance. I had them for most my cars and in practice have proved to be the cheapest. Although having no points and convictions i couldn't say what its like on those.

Why not save some money and get a pre facelift, then in a few years get a facelift model?

£1100 seems a bit steep!

When i turn 18 with 1yr NCB mine goesdown to £1500...

Try else where and if you really want an A3 get the 1.8 it should be that different on your premium,

you want something a bit more classy dont get a polo please mate!

Do you like the BMW 318 IS? Fairly quick

Jason

I had a nice '92 318 IS. It was a nice ride i sold it about a year ago and as far as i'm aware off its still going well even after 172K on the clock.

erm im a little curious now. Who on earth quoted a 20y/o over a grand for a 1.6? :hubbahubba:

Im 21, 0 years n/c and 0 convictions and i pay under 2grand for my 51plate S3...

shop around on insurance mate!!

also, hate to break it to you, but the cluth on the 1.6 is so light. If you w/spin or rev high in 1st gear the clutch wont last long.

Yea I really don't want a Polo, think I'll just continue saving but I will give Firebond a try.
So far (this is with claim and conviction declared):
Directline - £1300
AA - £1200
Zurich - £1106
CIS - £1150.

Tesco, Norwich Union, Brentacare, Adrien Flux, Bell, Elephant, Quinn-Direct all refused to insure me.

The quotes are all based on me being under my mums name who has 10years NCB but still no luck. Maybe my area is bad? Live in Croydon, Selsdon but it's quiet around here. Only thing I see putting it off is the fact that it's near New Addington, which is notorious for being a bad area that's all.

Meh, i'm gonna save for a TDI and that'll be that lol. Looks like the RS6 alloys will have to be put on hold for a while :(

Wait longer and save some more pennies!

1.6 is the most under powered engine in its class :unsure:

try it the other way around. Have the insurance in your name, with your mum as a named driver. The no-fault calim will not affect your premium, but your conviction will.

might be worth giving adrian flux a bell, there a brokers so might be able to get you a better deal on your insurance :)