Radar Detector?

DaveS3Turbo

Sepang Blue S3
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was just wondering how many of you own a radar detector that is fairly new considering techonology etc...

What is the best to get for money?

I was thinking about the snooper S6-R or just the GPS only?

What are your opinions, one more question you know these police speed vans that stop with the boot open mounted with a camera in the back, this works of digital vido right with no radar/lasar so i take it the GPS detectors store the common places where these mobile traps are?

Thanks, you help is much appreciated for this and sorry for Bad English because i type to quick and don't read throught what i have typed....

Last Mondays 5th Gear program went into detail on these.

There were two approaches basic. One that detected the standard radar cameras etc and the other was a gps system that you subscribed to and that maps out all the cameras in the country.
These both are of no use if somebody pops out with a handheld speedgun or the vans as you will be caught by the time the device warns you. For this, there is a device that sends out a radar beam of its own. It is marketed as a device to open a garage door automatically but it scrambles any radar pointed at the car and returns an error to the user. This gives you time to slow down before he tries again.

The best one quite simply is the Road Angel!

This is GPS so it will tell you about all the gatso's, truveli, specs, mobile cameras and blackspots (which you can turn off). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

One thing to bear in mind is that laser detection is pointless if being used for avoidance. Once it detects laser it's to late! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

The Road Angel is also one only a few that tell you what speed you need to be at! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

You will have to pay a subscription fee on a 1/2 yearly basis, however you can pay a one off fee of £99. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On the same quest as you davidmann. And done some diggin, the ones to check out are Road Angel, S6R, Origin B2 and Euro 550.

You can go here: Networx , here: Snooper or here: UK RD for more pricing and info or on www.ebay.co.uk for £40-£50 off.

From looking at them all I have compiled a short note on each to help me decide:

Euro 550, though would fit in the centre cubby hole, is a one piece unit ,can be used in 12 countries and can detect most traps I have heard that against specs and the newer range or cameras it is not so good and is not GPS.

S6-R, have to be dashmounted (or airvent mounted) for this 2 piecer, looks good though and can detect the majority of traps also it has a good sized LCD screen TO read. Is the best of both worlds with GPS and radar, however you pay the £50.00 a year for the updates.

OriginB2, from what I can ascertain is a one piecer and can be put anywhere but is similar in size to the S6-R. Very similar looking and nice screen to the S6-R. Finds most traps and school areas but can't see radar yet but can with laser, GPS enabled as well and has £50.00 year updates.

Roadangel, two piecer but can fit in the cubby hole and can be hidden well. Has it all GPS, Laser, Radar checking and endorsed by a number of bodies. Not the best looking on the market but with a £99.00 lifetime of updates it's seems the best value.

All in all you will be paying £300-£400 on anyone of these little 'license keepers'. Personally I am swayed to either the RoadAngel or the Euro550 due to the size, but more to the RoadAngel due to the GPS and laser detection and cheap updates. I have seem the RA for £310 on ebay.

Let us know what you go for as I'd be intrigued

Don't forget no matter how clued up you are, the police can still covertly tail you, with vid cam on, and still do you. There is as yet no defense for that one yet, maybe a invisibility shield?

I know, cause that's how I was last done.

Plus these devices turn your motor into a gibbering bleep machine, and if not fitted correctly bounce on the windscreen or worse fly across the dash board on fast corners..

I am however interested in garage door openers..

You may want to do a search on the Valentine 1. I'm not telling you supa dupa good they are 'cause you'll all think it;s a bias opinion as I sell them! Read last months PVW or search the Net for reviews, then come back to me and buy one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif