Revo and Rolling road.

Ricco

SweetS3
Reaction score
Evening all, Just wanted to know if it is possible to Rolling Road a stage 1 Revo map?
If so what are the benefits and does any1 know of a reliable RR near North London or around??

Ricco said:
Evening all, Just wanted to know if it is possible to Rolling Road a stage 1 Revo map?
If so what are the benefits and does any1 know of a reliable RR near North London or around??

What exactly do you mean? Have the map setup on a Rolling Road?

REVO Stage 1 can simply be flashed to your ECU. If you have no further modifications then it won't require any particular 'setup' but the dealer will road test it and check certain engine parameters to ensure it is working OK.

If you have more mods, like a full exhaust system, FMIC, CAI etc. Then it may be worth buying an SPS3, this will allow you to fettle the boost and timing to 'optimise' the REVO map for your modification which may squeeze a few more horses out or simply make the characterstics of the power delivery 'better'. This is best done on the road with 'real world' inlet temps etc. You'll also need a laptop and VAG-COM to log certain engine parameters so that you can see what the altered SPS3 setting are doing.

As for Rolling Roads, there are loads about. Personally i'd only take my car to one where the operator is experienced in running VAG turbos. Things like fan position/size of fan and load applied to the rollers are extremely important if you want a good approximation of your engine performance. Even then RR results aren't gospel anyway. 2 Best rollers for VAG are probably Stealth Racing and Awesome GTI. I've been to AMD and theirs seemed OK too but i have no other RR results to compare them to for this car.

I used Awesome at the weekend and they seem to know their stuff about vag cars. I was there with SCN. Bit out of your range if you're in London, although a few guys at the weekend came up from Essex!

Tallpaul said:
If you have no further modifications then it won't require any particular 'setup' but the dealer will road test it and check certain engine parameters to ensure it is working OK.

All cars perform differently, we have REVO'd many cars with stage 1 and not all of them end up with the same settings.
The SPS3 allows the end user to adjust the same settings that the dealer would but you would need VAGCom to properly log the results.

Corey said:
All cars perform differently, we have REVO'd many cars with stage 1 and not all of them end up with the same settings.
The SPS3 allows the end user to adjust the same settings that the dealer would but you would need VAGCom to properly log the results.

I know, just trying to point out simply that REVO won't require RR setup. So, no point paying extra for it.

Thanks every1 for clearing that up for me.
After reading some threads on here I was wondering if a RR session would be needed for stage 1. Late, much later, after some tweeks.
Next step for me then is to find a better manifold as im only interested in improving the breathing system, as I believe this engine in quite suffocated and this would really maximise the standard potential of the engine with out going nuts on a big turbo conversion. Than match/custom an exhaust system
Any opinions on manifolds choice?

Well, i'm of the opinion you'll max out the turbo before you max out the manifold, least ways you'll be operating in excess of it's temperature efficiency. So at the very least you'd need to uprate your intercoolers before the mani.

A guy on here (Ess Three) had an S3 where he was getting 280bhp-odd out of a K04, i'm pretty sure he had changed the mani too but i'm sure he'll be able to tell you what he did.

In contrast another chap (ChrisS3 is running an S3 with an ATP Eliminator Turbo on the stock mani at about 330bhp.

Yup, the S3 manifold gets alot of slating, but it's not actually that bad. It's the engine internals that are restricting the power in my car.

I wouldn't put too much hope in rolling road results. Just because a garage has one doesn't mean they can use it properly, nor does it mean you'll get a better map because it was done on one. Most of the mapping on my car was done on the open road, with real loadings and real airflow. It was given plenty of power runs on the dyno to check the results, but it didn't add to the mapping process.

The first thing to be uprated will be the IC. But Without going down the bigger turbo route, id like to run the engine more efficiantly over more Bhp, but in the process, if gains are made to power its a bonus.

Tallpaul said:
Well, i'm of the opinion you'll max out the turbo before you max out the manifold, least ways you'll be operating in excess of it's temperature efficiency. So at the very least you'd need to uprate your intercoolers before the mani.

A guy on here (Ess Three) had an S3 where he was getting 280bhp-odd out of a K04, i'm pretty sure he had changed the mani too but i'm sure he'll be able to tell you what he did.

In contrast another chap (ChrisS3 is running an S3 with an ATP Eliminator Turbo on the stock mani at about 330bhp.

Awesome GTi are doing an offer on their rr time at the minute. 80 quids worth free with any remap.

Rich