EM TuningVolks Autos

Thread: Audi A3 1.6 SE

Savin' & Lookin' for an A3!

Status

Audi A3 1.6 SE

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an Audi A3. I have found a R Reg 1.6 SE with FSH. But I have a few questions:

1. What bulb fittings does the car have. i.e H7, H1 etc..?
    2. What size wipers does it have?
    3. Has anyone fitted retrofit hid kits to the standard A3 headlamps? I have found kits at hids4u.co.uk.

Thanks
    Last edited by skyliner34; 19th November 2006 at 17:34.

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Your nothing more than a line in my book"

Status
    Hey bud,
    Cant answer any of your questions unfortunately..... but out of curiosity why do you need to know wiper sizes and bulb fitments????
    They seem like the last things I would need to know when deciding weather or not to buy a car!

Status
    lol.

I'm not deciding the car on those questions. I just want to know the bulb fitment because I like in the country side and good lights is very important. So I want to know what bulbs I can get for the A3, hence why I was asking about the HID retrofits.

I want to upgrade/try out these retrofit aero wipers. And I just wanted to know what sizes the blades on the A3

Oh I see you're also from Wales

P.S. How much quicker is the 1.6 A3 compared to a 1L Micra, 0-60 in 16s Becuase I'm driving my twins Micra at the moment, it's my first car in a way, driven it hard, like I stole it and done thousands and thousands of miles in it and it's never skipped a beat!, poor thing
    Last edited by skyliner34; 19th November 2006 at 21:20.

6th Gear

Status
    i own a 1.6 sport late 97 so roughly same as what your looking at.

It's not by any means a fast car, you'll notice a difference compared to a micra but if your looking for something quick buy a turbo, or even a n/a 1.8 as they have a bit more get up and go.

Having said that for a 1.6 it is a fairly torquey engine so feels fairly at home on the motorway etc, i also love the interior it'll be a world apart from the micra you're driving just now.

If i remember correctly the bulb fitments are h7 for headlights and h1 for full beams - you can get an HID kit but remember you really need levellers and especially headlamp washers for them to remain effective.

I've fitted some facelift style angel eyes to mine and i have to say there is a world of difference compared to the rubbish pre facelift headlights. They just use 4 H7 bulbs but really do light the way much better.

As for the wipers i cant remember think the drivers side is 21 inch, not sure about passengers.

Hope this helps mate

6th Gear

Status
    oh yeah to answer your actual question, 1.6 0-60 is about ten seconds

Status
    Thanks

So it's about 6 seconds quicker than the Micra. It's inbetween the gears it counts really. The Micra is a bit suggish, so you have to prepare ahead to overtake which is annoying.

Where did you get the angel eyes from in the UK?

Thanks

6th Gear

Status
    I got mine on ebay, got them cheap as nobody seems to want the ones for the facelifft cars, meant i had to make a new wiring loom up and cut some inner bits of metal/wing but its not as scary as it sounds plus i only paid £40 for them.

Lots of people prefer the standard facelift lights, they really make a difference to the way the car looks i'd recommend it.

The car is fine for everyday driving but you'll need to give it a bit of a kicking to do any sort of safe overtaking - although i also own an mr2 and its no quicker in gear than the audi if not slower (until you hit 5k revs then it goes)

Status
    whats the standard facelift lights?, and whats the difference between these and the pre facelift?

6th Gear

Status
    in 2001 audi gave the car new lights front and back - the fronts were changed to single piece units in a projector style, pre facelift have seperate indicator units and look rather rubbish in comparison.

The rears on the facelift have a larger white strip in the middle as opposed to the slim one in the pre-facelift. I 'think' that they can be replaced and just plugged straight in, no wiring to be done, not sure as i havent done it somebody will correct me im sure.

I'll stick two pics of my car on, one with pre facelift and one with the new lights, my angel eyes look almost identical to facelift lights bar the rings obviously

6th Gear

Status

Before

Now

its dirty in the first pic which dont help either

Status
    Have you got bigger pics?

It does look better though

Also will I have to cut metal/wiring to fit the Audi facelift lamps? or just with the angel eyes?

6th Gear

Status

If fitting the facelifted lights, you need to cut metal from the inside of the wing, and also a bit of the bumper guide to make them sit perfectly, there are angel eye lights very similar to mine available that should just plug straight into the gap no cutting required

Status
    Right ok.

I've gone to http://www.europerformance.co.uk and I dont know which ones is the for 97-98 A3. The ones with the indicators included are the 03- A3 headlights.

P.S. Do they come in pairs?, looks like if I want the 97 A3 angeleyes I have to buy the lamp and indicator lamp seperate which I dont mind. But do they just slot in and plug in?, can anyone confirm?
    Last edited by skyliner34; 19th November 2006 at 23:07.

6th Gear

Status
    Dont be paying that much for them, these are the ones you would buy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-96-00-...QQcmdZViewItem

They differ slightly to the ones i have in that they still have a sidelight as well as the angel eyes, mines dont but every pair i have seen for pre facelift cars have them

1st Gear

Status
    i have a pair of unused a3 one piece face lift headlights , not angel eyes
    if your interested , bought them at this years gti international , but now have a facelift s3 so they are surplus to requirements .

Status
    Ok thanks.

The ebay auction states that it comes with a wiring harness. WHat exacltly is a wiring harness?

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    I wouldnt get them off ebay, im ordering some Angel eyes soon ive got the crapy pre facelift tones too.

Im getting some that fit properly 200 but hey are Hella ones same make as your exisiting headlights.

I bought a set of angels off ebay for a punto while back didnt fit right and wires everywhere!

Jason
    A3 1.8TS
    K03S,Pro Alloy FMIC, Neuspeed TIP, Forge 007P,Jabba Stage 2, BMC CDA, Turbo Back Miltek,H&R Cup Kit,H&R Arb's,18" Cup 3's Wrapped in Parada Spec 2's, Facelifted, 10k Hids, Dewipered, Debadged,S3 Interior, S3 Rear bumper, S4 Front bumper, Brembo's, Momo Team, LCR Splitter.

6th Gear

Status
    Probably just an adapter to take your current wiring loom to the type of plug that those lights require

Status
    Thanks

Jase: Where are you getting the Hellas from? I have faith in hellas

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    The only Place to go is Damian At DPM autostyling click the banner at the top of this page!

Jason
    A3 1.8TS
    K03S,Pro Alloy FMIC, Neuspeed TIP, Forge 007P,Jabba Stage 2, BMC CDA, Turbo Back Miltek,H&R Cup Kit,H&R Arb's,18" Cup 3's Wrapped in Parada Spec 2's, Facelifted, 10k Hids, Dewipered, Debadged,S3 Interior, S3 Rear bumper, S4 Front bumper, Brembo's, Momo Team, LCR Splitter.

Status
    Thanks Jase.

I've had a look. But I can only find 2003 A3 shape. You got a direct link to the 98 shape A3?