Which Oil?

Mobil1 is what gets used in my S3 and was the only oil I used in my BMW's as well

I would very strongly urge everyone that they dont use mobile 1 in their cars. Especially turbocharged cars.

If i had a pound for every tubo that ive seen that has died because of incorrect oil i would be very rich indeed.

The viscocity of mobil 1 is low at room temp. At 150+deg c (in the bearings of your turbocharger) the viscoity drops so low that the oil is unable to maintain a lubricant surface in the bearing and you can get metal to metal contact. this very rapidly leads to turbo failure!

The beraing clearances in the whole of the engine are calculated using a specific oil viscocity, if you change the oil, you need to change the beraing clearings, if you dont parts fail...

Thats my 2ps worth.

Would i put it in my car? not a flippin chance. Use the recommended oil.

Safest bet is to go with a decent quality 10w40 spec oil with a VAG 505 00 and 501 01. Cant really go wrong then. Gotta agree, i'd NEVER stick Mobil 1 in any of my cars.

Mobil1 has the Audi specific codes on the back of the bottle, also there are Audi dealers out there using it for their servicing as well.

So I guess you are saying that all the oil we are using whether it be mobil or something else is $hit?

Everyone will always have a preffered favorite oil they use, i personally wouldnt use Mobil 1 even if the queen fed it to her corgis!
:puke2:

Ive just got some slx longtec 0w-30

the viscocity rating of any oil is only a small part of the oils speciifaction. a more important measurement is the HTSS or High Temperature Shear Strength. This is a measure of the oils ability to provide a lubricant surface at high temps.

This spec is not usually listed on oil packaging but is an important part of the vw specification. Hence, if you use the correct viscocity it may still not meet the VW standard.

I have an email from the castrol engineers outlining this fact to me when i asked the question.

I would stronlgy urge everone to use the VW spec oil and nothing else.

For this reason i would be very wary of any dealership that offers mobil 1...

Buster said:
Mobil1 has the Audi specific codes on the back of the bottle, also there are Audi dealers out there using it for their servicing as well.

So I guess you are saying that all the oil we are using whether it be mobil or something else is $hit?

im not saying its $hit, just that the engine (especially turbocharger bearings) wasnt designed for it!

I put Mobil 1 in and haven't had any problems either, my dealer also uses it!

Never heard ANY bad reports about it...

Mobil1 is also what my Audi Dealer uses. Never had any trouble with it!

And it meets VW503.01 approval that is required for the S3!

Out of spec or not, mine's been run on Mobil 1 almost all its life and has just gone over 100K. Doesn't use any oil whatsoever and runs well. Oil changes every 10K miles and chipped from 70K.

Of course, the turbo might fail tomorrow...

Motul 0w-40 E-Tech 8100. Meets VW503.1 and specifically recommended for the S3/TT.

Ester based oils are 100% shear stable, Mobil1 is not; Mobil don't even claim it is.

So what about the Synta Gold fully synth oil - would that be OK?

Tallpaul said:
Motul 0w-40 E-Tech 8100. Meets VW503.1 and specifically recommended for the S3/TT.

Ester based oils are 100% shear stable, Mobil1 is not; Mobil don't even claim it is.

thats whats in mine :o.k:

i can't get any of that stuff over here, so what else is esther based? i can only find big brand products...

or is it enough if the oil meets the above specification?

dultanur said:
i can't get any of that stuff over here, so what else is esther based? i can only find big brand products...

or is it enough if the oil meets the above specification?

To be honest, you'll be fine with whatever your Audi dealer puts in it.

i think audi uses castrol over here, but the place i take my car to uses mobil, thats why i have mobil1 in mine at the moment. reading all this stuff wants me wanna suck it all out :(

dultanur said:
i think audi uses castrol over here, but the place i take my car to uses mobil, thats why i have mobil1 in mine at the moment. reading all this stuff wants me wanna suck it all out :(

There is a website called 'opieoils' go have a look and email them your concerns and ask them to recommend you an oil based on what's available where you are. I'm sure one of the owners is a user on here (Oilman), he is registered on most VAG forums and what he doesn't know about oil ain't worth knowing.