My 1st good run

garratt83

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share that I finally had chance to push my car. Got it to 120 before I ran out off road and bottle. As I have always had small engines, it felt really good.

Is there much point increasing the power in my 1.8 non turbo, or is it worth waiting till I get a turbo or S3?

you can answer that question for yourself, go get in a car with someone that has an A3 turbo or S3.

youll want one i promise u lol

i am interested to see the reply's for this as well garratt83.....are there any mods that can really improve the power of a 1.8 20v non turbo??

never really payed attention to non turbos!! so what do people know on this?

i think, to be honest, you wont get much power out of a non-turbo car without doing extreme mods, for example, before i had my audi i had a focus (dont say anything - i already know).

i had it remapped cost me £250 and it went from standard 99bhp to 114 bhp, and i was told that was a good gain! i think with out spending a lot of money, you wont get a lot more out of it!

Yeah I do wish I'd bought a turbo but I've got this one now and will prob have it for a while unless a bargin Turbo comes along and I can get a good price for this one. Got to get out of debt 1st before I can think about a new one. Also have a morgage and love football so spend alot.

Having a punto before this as soon as I got in to this one I loved it.

markyp2002 said:
i think, to be honest, you wont get much power out of a non-turbo car without doing extreme mods, for example, before i had my audi i had a focus (dont say anything - i already know).

i had it remapped cost me £250 and it went from standard 99bhp to 114 bhp, and i was told that was a good gain! i think with out spending a lot of money, you wont get a lot more out of it!

same here i had a focus 1.8 standard with 118bhp never done anything to that except exhaust system and induction kit.

but audis are built different to ford so maybe if it was remapped it would give it more than youd bargain for surely?? its 20valve so it must do something if you were to get a superchip for a non turbo??

All they give is sound mate induction kits and airfilters i think are a waste of time......they dont do much for the engine and they certainly dont make a difference in power....if it does its all in the mind .lol

Thats my opinion anyway....i wouldnt tamper with audis in that way anyway...they are built like rocks for a reason!! but they have got more valves so that might make a difference???

my opinion so please correct me if i am wrong.

cheers

chris

Yeah just did a search and every says stick with the standard one. Think mine might need a change soon. Wheres the best palce to get one, the stealers?

You should have got the Turbo mate! your 23 insurance would have been no probs!

1.8 T's go for around the 4k-6k mark

I paid top dollar for mine went to the stealers though

Jason

Re-maps on non turbo/naturallay asparated cars cant really do much. the main reason if im right is because there is no way of controlling more air flow into the engine, and so jus pumping in more fuel can only do so much. as with turbo's u force in more air and more fuel = bigger bang and more BHP!. :blackrs4:

i paid 6.5k for mine a 2001 with 73k miles from the stealers, full recaro interior, s3 bodystyling, apex suspension and "apparent" remap. althought i am going to get this checked out today!

markyp2002 said:
i paid 6.5k for mine a 2001 with 73k miles from the stealers, full recaro interior, s3 bodystyling, apex suspension and "apparent" remap. althought i am going to get this checked out today!

Way that an Audi stealers?

garratt83 said:
Yeah just did a search and every says stick with the standard one. Think mine might need a change soon. Wheres the best palce to get one, the stealers?
Are you talking about cars or OEM air filters?

If the latter you can get them from German & Swedish (http://www.gsfcarparts.com) for about a fiver.

What do you think I would get for it privatley

Spec
1.8 Sport, 64k, 17 alloys, FSH, 3m tax, Met Black.

i See matemaybe you should have waited a bit longer for a T sport

Paid £5999 for mine on an S Plate with 68k One owner from new though

JAson

i paid £4300 for my '98 R 1.8T Sport.

Came with climate and cruise control (both options for the year). It had 80k-odd on the clock but had full audi main dealer history and AA inspection report. The previous service (79k) cost the owner £1000 (cambelt, water pump, discs, pads and service) it also had virtually new dunlop rubber on each corner. I had to spend another £300 sorting out little faults/annoyances, but i've ended up with a solid car.

I put out 192bhp/218lb_ft with the remap at AMD. I'm now well over 90k, it's solid as a rock - doesn't smoke, use oil or water, nothing (has a funny idle problem but i've given up on that, it's harmless but annoying). The 1.8T is ruthlessly efficient piece of german engineering and if you look after it, it's all good. Hell, i know of people that have run IHI (330bhp) for 30k plus without a sniff from the engine apart from the usual sensor failures.