Just fitted R32 ARB

cjhill

hmmmmm interesting.
Reaction score
Dear all,

After much consideration i have gone ahead and got the r32 arb. Just fitted the rear today - what a differance, its amazing.

planning on fitting the front this weekend when i will have the help of a mate but for the price of the r32 bar compaired to aftermarket ones i highly recommend it.

I went for it as i wanted an improvement on the current set up (which is like a boat) but didnt want to pay the 300 quid or so other kits cost. (at the end of the day i dont drive on circuits and the improvement is more than enough for my average commute and weekend trips.

Got them from VAG parts, 3 days, 43.97 +vat for the front and 103 +vat for the rear, delivery 10.

Hope that helps for anyone in the same dilema as i was a few weeks ago...

cool sorry for sounding dumb but what does the arb do and how do i no if i need a new one, thanks

arb - antirollbar.

Keeps the car flatter when cornering. you probably dont need a new one but a thicker one reduces roll further, improving ride alot.

have a search around theres loads of threads on the subject - its how i learnt about it all.

(i asked the same question as you have just done about 6 months ago... now it feels like i know loads about the subject. )

Have you upgraded any other parts of your suspension? Which bushes did you go for in the end?

wak-tt says OEM front and Neupeed rear. Any comments on this?

Cheers,

ICE

Thanks for that, although I had already read it and there doesn't seem to be any mention of what bushes to go for with the 22mm Front and 19mm Rear combination.

Cheers,

ICE

vanilla_ice said:
wak-tt says OEM front and Neupeed rear. Any comments on this?

Cheers,

ICE

impossible to say without driving it. Personally i went for a H&R kit as its been developed for the car. Once you uprate your ARB's the car feels incredibly flat in the corners but you soon re-calibrate as you do with a cars power and want more. R32 bars are a half way house, you'd probably wish you'd going for a proper kit after a couple of months for the extra £100. Either way there a fantastic mod and a must do!!!

Thanks leecs3.

Although, if I was to uprate my ARB's I still want a comfortable ride. I'm not trying to make a track day car, I just want to absorb some of the wallowing - therefore would the R32's be a safer bet?

Likewise, I hear that powerflex bushes can be a little harsh, so I would be looking for bushes to match the ride of the ARB's.

Or by going all Neuspeed do I get the best of both worlds? :think:

Cheers,

ICE

vanilla_ice said:
Thanks leecs3.

Although, if I was to uprate my ARB's I still want a comfortable ride. I'm not trying to make a track day car, I just want to absorb some of the wallowing - therefore would the R32's be a safer bet?

Likewise, I hear that powerflex bushes can be a little harsh, so I would be looking for bushes to match the ride of the ARB's.

Or by going all Neuspeed do I get the best of both worlds? :think:

Cheers,

ICE

the ARB's on mine didn't affect the ride at all. Just massively reduced roll and added a lot of feeling to the steering. Powerflex can increase NVH but you can use them selectively. My arb's can with soft (red) poly bushes. Avoid for example using a poly rear engine mount but poly front and gearbox feel good.

vanilla_ice said:
Thanks for that, although I had already read it and there doesn't seem to be any mention of what bushes to go for with the 22mm Front and 19mm Rear combination.

Cheers,

ICE

just checked back through my receipts, I have polybushes fitted all round. I cant comment on the "harsh" opinions of these from others but the car just feels very supple and "tight". This was the opinion to fit poly's from the garage that did the work. The suspension kit will be providing a lot of this feel though. Not crashy and thats on Edinburgh crappy roads, 8.5" rims and 18" tyres.

Just buy the complete R32 kit bushes brakets and ARB's..straight swap and yes more responsive in steering and less roll, mine turns in at higher speeds with ease now, less understeer. Ive also replaced the droplinks with TT ones as ive changed shocks & Springs too..

does any one know if these will fit a T sport?? or if there are any other options for one???

Whats wrong with yr website Rich,seems really slow or is it me,lol..also cudnt find owt for A3 sportlines..

i went for the R32 bar as

1, i didnt want to pay the price for the other kits.
2, i didnt want a red/blue/yellow bar underneath the car
3, felt that the r32 increase of 4mm front and back (standard 15 & 19, now 19 & 23) keeps the proportional increase the same as the manufacturer.

Ok there may be no mechanical logic to this but it makes some sense in my mind and im happy with the result - good compromise. (and its my car so thats all that matters)

I went for the standard bushes, again i like to keep things reasonably standard... and i have kept original springs/shocks for the moment.

Oh and just as an extra piece of information - the original bushes from the old arb (which have done just over 70K) look absolutely fine, almost no noticable wear - v impressed.

yeah was impressed with my OEM bushes changed ARB's at 34k and the bars had failed and bushes looked very good, also same as u cjhill i kept with the standard bushes as i know they're cheap and easy to to get hold off

ive just come back form the dealer (need new spring seats on the rear) and was talking about the arb, he was saying that basically its the arb that goes on all models of audi. they all have the same inherant design fault.
The facelift ones are built differently.

Also found out today that the local dealer is now an MTM authorised workshop... might be worth a look. You can order the new S3 already chipped to 340 something!

cjhill said:
3, felt that the r32 increase of 4mm front and back (standard 15 & 19, now 19 & 23) keeps the proportional increase the same as the manufacturer.
Actually, the 19mm one is 21% stiffer than standard and the 23mm one is only 17% stiffer, which should make it understeer less - probably what you wanted.

As long as it works, who cares! lol

cjhill said:
how did you figure that one out... me no unerstando?
Actually, thinking about it, I'm talking ********. I was working on the basis that there's a linear relationship between ARB thickness and roll stiffness, which I'm fairly sure there isn't. As you were...

I would have thought that since R32s are slightly more front heavy, the front R32 bar might be slightly too stiff... however there's not much weight difference between an R32 and an S3 so it's probably not very noticeable, if at all.

The Slug said:
As long as it works, who cares! lol
Absolutely.

Update....

just finished fitting the front ARB, didnt make as much a difference as the rear but the handling is totally transformed. Im very happy with it now.

As someone has already mentioned, the only really hard bit about the whole front arb change was putting the clamps back on... took ****** ages.

Anyway must go and find an industrial estate somewhere.

cjhill said:
Update....

just finished fitting the front ARB, didnt make as much a difference as the rear but the handling is totally transformed. Im very happy with it now.

As someone has already mentioned, the only really hard bit about the whole front arb change was putting the clamps back on... took ****** ages.

Anyway must go and find an industrial estate somewhere.

interesting. I noticed a big difference with my 25mm front ARB. Great stuff, highlighting to pro and cons to the R32 vs Aftermarket ARB's.

bushes were extra, but only a few pounds... £3 i think each

Wow, excellent!!

Do you have all of the part numbers you used to get the lot fitted? :lazy:

I have a mate who works at a VW garage and has said he can get me nice reductions :arco:

Cheers,

ICE

i dont have the part numbers to hand at the moment, but they are standard R32 antiroll bars and bushes, 19mm rear and 23mm front.

When i ordered them from VAG parts, they said there was only one type for the r32.

Good luck... well worth it.

I have part numbers,but not to hand im sure if u PM rickquattro he had them from me! Hope that helps, if i can dig em out i will post em up for U.

right got them...

Front ARB - 1J0 411 205AF
Rear ARB - 1J0 511 409K

Front bush - 1J0 411 314T
Rear bush - 4B0 511 327

Bolts for front - N101 016 03
Bolts for rear - N010 2366

hope it helps

This is what Rich sent me as part numbers, hope it helps.

Part numbers as requested:

R32 ARB's Front and rear.....

1J0411305AF - STABILIZER
1J0411314T - RUBBER MOUNT (NEED 2)
1J0411336D - CLIP (NEED 2)
1J0511409K - STABILIZER
4B0511327 - MOUNTING (NEED 2)
8A0511439 - CLIP (NEED 2)

TOTAL COST INCLUDING VAT - £193.08

rickquattro said:
This is what Rich sent me as part numbers, hope it helps.

Part numbers as requested:

R32 ARB's Front and rear.....

1J0411305AF - STABILIZER
1J0411314T - RUBBER MOUNT (NEED 2)
1J0411336D - CLIP (NEED 2)
1J0511409K - STABILIZER
4B0511327 - MOUNTING (NEED 2)
8A0511439 - CLIP (NEED 2)

TOTAL COST INCLUDING VAT - £193.08

Spot on cheers Rick! saved me a job, and we both have this done soo correctomondo parts!

Just been reading the thread where people were commenting on changing the shocks and springs before the ARB's.

In what order did you guys (The Slug and rickquattro) uprate your handling and what shocks and springs did you go for?

Cheers,

ICE

My upgrade running order was, in bundles:

1. Superchip and cruise control then,
2. 18" RS6 reps follwed by
3. RNS-E, then a long gap in time and an empty wallet...
4. Drilled/grooved/race fluid/better pads.. bit more time then,
5. ARB's/suspension kit/spacers all at the same time. It must be better overall as the car is on the ramps and all the jobs are around the same components. Bite the bullet and get it all done at the same time or it will be a fiddle or a hassle, and you probably won't do the whole job.... Get it all done, get all the fun straight away..

Saving now for "Vanilla Magic Tree".... Wallet's empty again....

Hope this helps.

yeah, suspension all at same time..

the i had remap, knowin that the power was gonna be glued to the ground, lol