Question 4th to 6th, anyone else?

Jampublic

Taking it easy..
Reaction score
I thought I would find out if any one else has this habit!

I picked it up driving my boss's twin turbo supra a few years back. Just fly through the gears up to 4th, then go straight to 6th! I find my self doing it constantly in my S3, am I the only person?

Just being simple:unsure:

no your not the only one!....even though i only have 5 gear....i red line each gear up to third that takes me to about 86 then i just jump to 5th.....and cruise on the motorway!!!!:)

depends how fast im going, only having 5 gears aswell (which by the way was a bad design fault by audi, even the 1.8T should have 6 gears - 6th being a cruiser) if im tankin it down the motorway, ill go straight thru 1-5!

6th is a luxury then! lol

Sorry to change the subject, you've had your A3 up to 144mph! Braver man than me, I've never been that fast in my S3! :unsure:

i go 6 to 4 to 2 but not really up the gears if im driving steady I need them all, if im pushing it I max them all lol

Jampublic said:
you've had your A3 up to 144mph! Braver man than me, I've never been that fast in my S3! :unsure:

144 mph was a poo-your-pants speed. it did have a little more go in it, but by this time, i was needing a **** lol. take it out onto an open road late evening with no gatso's on it. the audi isnt a fast top end car, its just the time it takes to get there is ****** brilliant :D

I always run out of straight road, not sure if S3 goes that fast:confused:

I only have the 210hp!

I have gone into the one 30's, surely I would be in the red doing 144? :faint:

of what i remember i was at 5,500 revs at 140, im pretty sure the S3 210bhp should b doing that sort of speed at least, or maybe your not crazy enough lol

I skip the odd gear depending on the roads I'm on. Built up and in a hurry I'll go from 2nd to 4th, on motorways I could go from 4th to 6th but if I'm really in a hurry all the gears get their fair share.
Regarding the top speed. I've had 150 (on the clock ess-three :) ) with still a bit to go. But like you said, my **** was startin to flap by then and the bends (which didn't even seem like bends before btw) were getting a bit extreme.

i jump gears all the time as well, 1st to 3rd, 4th to 6th depends how much i can be ***** driving, ive had 140 out of mine so im sure an S3 can do more than that, i had some left in it but the M6 toll was comming to a very quick end lol! :scared2:

Ok so I drive slow, and will need a nappy if i go faster than the one 30's!

And i should be able to get the one 50's!? Ok well I will keep you posted!

As for 4th to 6th, just me being lazy I guess!

I fully get the changing down from 6th, 4th to 2nd thats for some serious slowing up action!:yes:

yup 6th to 4th to 2nd is the slowing action required after doing poo-your-pants speeds and seeing a bobby holding a speed camera on the bridge 600metres ahead of u :D

Lucky i don't see much bridge action down here, no space on bridges to park up!!

But these will be my fatal last words... :wtf:

boo

Jampublic said:
I always run out of straight road, not sure if S3 goes that fast:confused:

I only have the 210hp!

I have gone into the one 30's, surely I would be in the red doing 144? :faint:

At 100mph your car should only be doing 4k rpm in 6th, thats 25mph per 1k rpm approx. Your car will get to 150 on the speedo and beyond if it had more power and still won't be in the red.

Oh thats good to know thanks!

I will make sure that is the case!

:cool:

QUATTRO_REP said:
i had some left in it but the M6 toll was comming to a very quick end lol! :scared2:

How 'safe' is the M6 toll if you know what i mean? Has anyone ever seen anything 'untoward' :busted_cop: ??

i do 4th to 6th on ocassion, not all the time, i quite regulary c 70MPH on the motorway. wow thats fast really quite scary at them speeds :scared2: :lmfao:

I skip gears all the time, if I put my foot down hard from stand still & then wannna calm down 1st to 3rd works well & I do 3rd to 5th regulaly & 4th to 6th as well, the S3 seems to like most gears at almost any speed - within reason :)

TQS said:
How 'safe' is the M6 toll if you know what i mean? Has anyone ever seen anything 'untoward' :busted_cop: ??

I may have been well into 3 figures on that road (well it's rude not too).

ps the S3 may or may not quite like sitting at around 120mph on a good road surface!:thumbsup:

1st, 1nd, 4th then 6 th

lowest speed i'd do in 6th is about 40 ish :)

fastest for me was 130 @ 4,800rpm, middle of the night, empty roads

another question, does the rev limiter go to 8k or cut in before that?

another question, does the rev limiter go to 8k or cut in before that?

I think the rev limiter cuts in at around 7200 revs, though you can raise it to 7500 with a revo remap and break the 60mph in 2nd gear.

Talking about boxing the gearbox, I do like the fact that you can shift from 6th to 3rd in one movement, by just pushing the gearstick forwards and letting the springloaded centering do the rest, I do that a lot.

TQS said:

ive been told its quite safe, was a bit warey at first but its always empty and the long straight got the better of me!

I quite often skip gears, i was taught that by my driving instructor when learning to drive. He also taught me to skip out mass amounts of gears when slowing down, i've heard a rumour though that it's not good for the gearbox.

I wouldn't mind finding out if it's just a rumour though as i do it all the time, i think people look stupid when they are pointlessly running through the gears only to take it out of the gear as soon as it's engaged, what a waste of time..

cha1n said:
I quite often skip gears, i was taught that by my driving instructor when learning to drive. He also taught me to skip out mass amounts of gears when slowing down, i've heard a rumour though that it's not good for the gearbox.

I wouldn't mind finding out if it's just a rumour though as i do it all the time, i think people look stupid when they are pointlessly running through the gears only to take it out of the gear as soon as it's engaged, what a waste of time..

I've heard changing down in blocks is good practice in modern cars. I always wondered if it was bad for the gearbox to change up in blocks because I remember my driving instructor telling me not to do it but maybe that was more to do with my acceleration at the time :racer:

There's something about it here: http://www.2pass.co.uk/gears.htm

markyp2002 said:
.... if im tankin it down the motorway, ill go straight thru 1-5!

:think:1-5?!?!? .. don't you end up driving really sllloooooowwwww?!?! poss severe chugging?!?

I was told using the gears to slow down was good practice as it saves your brakes & was especially good practice in the snow. :yes:

yeh, but he's on about changing from 1-5 not 5-1 (the car must be screaming??)..

cha1n said:

:sly: lol