A3 1.8T chip

S3_Pricey

Reaction score
hey, ive had my 2000 a3 1.8t a couple of months now and i really want to start to mod it. i have heard that the best start would be a chip and an n75 valve. does anyone know roughly how much i would need to spend and also if there is anywhere near Bristol i could take it to? any advice is appreciated, cheers:blackrs4:

Have a look in the FAQ mate, its been done to death this one....

im takin my car today to MIJ performance in walsall, REVO suppliers have been ordered to offer a 5 hours free trial on ECU custom remaps (must be a timer in the software somewhere)

so im taking it in today to have it put on, it works out at around £400 for a full remap, but ill keep you posted on what difference it makes!

markyp2002 said:
im takin my car today to MIJ performance in walsall, REVO suppliers have been ordered to offer a 5 hours free trial on ECU custom remaps (must be a timer in the software somewhere)

so im taking it in today to have it put on, it works out at around £400 for a full remap, but ill keep you posted on what difference it makes!
Um, if you've got 196bhp it's already been remapped! And a Revo remap won't get any more out of it than that without other mods...

garratt83 said:
Revo say 207 out of a turbo
They do indeed. If you take that as gospel I have some magic beans you may be interested in!

I'm only kidding. I think by changing the remap without changing anything else you're on a hiding to nothing, and you'll be wasting your money. Moreover in order to do the Revo trial they may have to flash the ECU back to normal (or a Revo approximation) first which would get rid of the remap you already have, so if you decide not to go ahead with the Revo remap you'd be back to 150bhp. Ask them what the trial will revert to after the 5 hours before you go ahead...

Who did your previous remap? And what makes you think a Revo remap will get any more out of the engine?

Timbo said:
They do indeed. If you take that as gospel I have some magic beans you may be interested in!

I'm only kidding. I think by changing the remap without changing anything else you're on a hiding to nothing, and you'll be wasting your money. Moreover in order to do the Revo trial they may have to flash the ECU back to normal (or a Revo approximation) first which would get rid of the remap you already have, so if you decide not to go ahead with the Revo remap you'd be back to 150bhp. Ask them what the trial will revert to after the 5 hours before you go ahead...

Who did your previous remap? And what makes you think a Revo remap will get any more out of the engine?

thats what im going to find out lol im also trying to find out whether my car has really been remapped, i only know this from what the previous owner has told me, he could have been filling me with bullspit! trying to find out now before its too late to smack him :arco:

If you do find somewhere Graham, please post here, or pm me with how you get on, as i'm also in the Bristol area considering a remap. Only thing is my engine is getting on a bit, i'll be on 100k soon, not so sure what the case is with mapping high mileage engines, anyone know?

markyp2002 said:
thats what im going to find out lol im also trying to find out whether my car has really been remapped, i only know this from what the previous owner has told me, he could have been filling me with bullspit! trying to find out now before its too late to smack him :arco:
Well the Revo dealer should be able to tell whether it's been remapped before. I'd explain the situation to them (i.e. that you're unsure if it's been remapped already) before they do any work in case it makes a difference.
cha1n said:
Only thing is my engine is getting on a bit, i'll be on 100k soon, not so sure what the case is with mapping high mileage engines, anyone know?
If it's been maintained it should be fine. A remap may put strain on components near the ends of their lives and hasten their demise (e.g. diverter valve, clutch) but whoever does the remapping should at the very least interrogate the ECU beforehand to check for faults.

Mines got 130k on it and i've had it chipped etc. If it lets go you'll be able to pick up another engine (1.8T) for bout £600 anyway.

Do it, best £400 you'll spend.

It really makes that much difference? I really am tempted but i've got quite a few things i want to do and they're all really expensive so it's trying to work out how to prioritise them, i want the following:

To be done at the same time; 18" RS6 wheels/suspension/brake upgrade

OEM HIDs, so with self levelers and washers etc.

Lower front bumper upgrade to standard with fogs, then all black parts (car's silver) colour coded.

AndyMac sub/amp installation.

Engine remap.

I don't want to add the costs of those modifications up because i know i wont end up doing them if i see how much money i will eventually lose when i sell the car..

cha1n said:
It really makes that much difference? I really am tempted but i've got quite a few things i want to do and they're all really expensive so it's trying to work out how to prioritise them, i want the following:

To be done at the same time; 18" RS6 wheels/suspension/brake upgrade

OEM HIDs, so with self levelers and washers etc.

Lower front bumper upgrade to standard with fogs, then all black parts (car's silver) colour coded.

AndyMac sub/amp installation.

Engine remap.

I don't want to add the costs of those modifications up because i know i wont end up doing them if i see how much money i will eventually lose when i sell the car..

Of all the things you've listed you should remap first. it's the one thing that'll put the biggest smile on your face.

Pound for pound it's by far the best mod.

There must be a downside to the remap. I mean, call me pessimistic but there must be something. Does the engine run alot hotter? Can you list all the downsides please so i can get an idea of the value of a remap, how does it effect fuel economy?

If you did a lot of motorway driving you'd getter better mpg but in reality cos it's better to drive you rag it more. If you drive it hard it probably will shorten the lifespan of the engine but that goes without saying.

need new front tyres every 5 mins. they spin so easy with the extra power.

smitch said:
If you did a lot of motorway driving you'd getter better mpg but in reality cos it's better to drive you rag it more. If you drive it hard it probably will shorten the lifespan of the engine but that goes without saying.
Well, the internals are the same as the 210/225bhp S3/TT/LCR engine so it shouldn't wear any quicker than those. The only thing which may suffer is the turbo as it'll be working harder.

KEF A3 20V T said:
need new front tyres every 5 mins. they spin so easy with the extra power.
Need a lighter right foot in the lower gears! ;)

I have def made up my mind after wats been said, im going to get it remapped as soon as the cash is available:) thanks for the advice, is much appreciated:arco:

contact Chipped-UK

they doing custom remaps for £275!!

they stated an increase of around 40 bhp for my 180bhp quattro

i think its special offer until xmas
im going to get it done soon as i get some money sorted