will this work in my A3

Herby1

VAG All the way
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I have an audi A3 1.8 20V year 1999 on a (T) Plate

The thing is mine did not come with a trip computer in between the speedo's but my friend is going to be giving me his one out of his A3 which has a computer in between the speedo's. he has upgraded to a set of white dials.

anyway i was just wondering if i just plugged it in....in replace of my one will it work ok? or what do i need to do for it to work? will it still power up if the computer doesnt work though?

Any help on this would be excellent cheers, saves me taking out my dash ay!

thank you

Chris

I think you men the DIS - driver information system - thats the centre section between the speedo & the rev counter that tells you how many mpg your doing & how many miles you have left etc.

I'm don't think it would be an easy swap as the DIS must be connected to several sensors throughout the car in order for it to get the information it shows you and if i remember correctly the system is integrated within the dash unit, if your friend is just changing the dials over I don't see how he could give you the unit.

Also the dash is programmed to accept signals from your keys etc so it'd be a hell of a task to retro fit IMO and i think it'd cost you a fair bit at an audi dealer as they would need to reprogram the new dash as it would still hold the information from the previous car.

I'm not 100% though so someone please correct me if i've got it wrong.

Mike

no its a straight swap, there arte 3 connectors at the back and that it....il show you apic of the whole thing...there must be one on ebay...hold on il check.

never realised it was that simple :) , i'd still be concerned over the sensors though - if your car didn't come with the DIS system as standard i doubt audi would have put the connectors & sensors into it when they built it so IMO it might not work - you could always give it a go and if it doesn't work out give it back to your friend? or even give audi a ring - i'm sure they will have been asked the question before

yeah i suppose mate, cheers for your help anyway! i just thought maybe someone on here has already attempted this or knoes of how to do it!

oh well hopefully someone will post and let me know ay.

thanks once again for your reply bud

I've read posts where people have changed their dials over but i'm not sure if anyone has actually removed the dial "unit" to do it.

maybe try a search? - if it does work you'll have to post a guide in the how to section as i'm sure lots of people without DIS would like to upgrade (including me).

lol...il see what i can do. would be awesome if it worked! but saying that though.....even if the computer didnt work and just the oil, water light etc came on that would be better, cause it still looks smarter than the normal one ay!!

KEF A3 20V T said:
i think you will need vag com to change the immobiliser code!!​
Hello matey,

in English please :) im not sure what you mean?

where can i get this from?

Vagcom is aftermarket software based on dealer diagnostic tools.
more information here: http://www.ross-tech.com/

Yes i'm sure it will all plug in, maybe even work - warning lamps etc, however your car will not start and run.

You would then use Vagcom software and a suitable cable to match your keys to your new clocks, but you need the information tag which comes with your keyset, but usually gets lost after the first owner!

What about buying a set of clocks,keys and lockset?

I may try this one day!!

One last thing - i think you would need to change your wiper stalk as well, to use the controls for the DIS (possible additional wiring there?)

maybe mileage correction would also need doing.

Regards Steve

you havent got DIS right ?

if you havent there is no way to swap it over because it needs to be conected to the ECU etc

am 99% sure

dont worry the experts should be here soon :)

sounds like alot of work....when will the experts be getting here. lol

come on i need some info.lol