Another cam belt question

monkeytrousers

Reaction score
It's another cam belt question so look away now if you're fed up with them!

My S3 is 4.5 years old, and has done 48,000 miles. So milage is well under the recommended 80,000 for cam belt change.

My car has full Audi dealer service history, and common opinion says that if a cam belt fails early, Audi will pay up (or at least contribute).

To get to the point: Do you think they would be so kind if they knew a car was remapped?! I think not, and for that reason I'm seriously considering changing my belt now as a precaution. What does everyone else think?

Thanks.

I wouldn't bank on the warranty covering it, remapped or stock.
If it's over 3 years old then it's not an Audi warranty, just Audi dealer subbing it out to a warranty company. In similar situations we've seen these jokers weasel out of turbo failures on S4's, supposedly under "warranty".
On top of that you have a conveniently vague and wide ranging description from Audi on when the cambelt needs to be done, varying from 4 years to 115k miles and everything in between. Couple all that with the fact it's been remapped, which in my opinion basically voids any warranty coverage on anything to do with the engine and I'd say you need to get it done ASAP.

No, I'm not talking about it being under warranty.

There is a feeling that as long as the car has been serviced according to the Audi schedule, and the cam belt breaks before the recommended change time, then Audi will pay or contribute, even where there is no warranty.

My point is that there's no way they would do this if the car's been remapped.

Yeah don't think they would look to kindly on a remap.

I wouldn't bank on Audi paying anything, if theres a way out they will take it.

I would wait till about 60-70 for a cam change, but as yours has had a remap I don't know how much more strain will be on it so I would change at about 50 if you can afford it. Peace of mind.

I agree with Andymac on the warrenty, if you change anything on it and it goes they will simply show you the door.

Hope this helps

"There is a feeling that as long as the car has been serviced according to the Audi schedule, and the cam belt breaks before the recommended change time, then Audi will pay or contribute, even where there is no warranty."

There's a feeling possibly that this should be the case, meanwhile back on planet earth I think the comments about the fact it wouldn't even be definately covered under warranty and that there have been misleading guidelines on when it should be changed i.e. it's certainly over 4 years old, would indicate that you'd be laughed out of the dealership.
Sorry but that's the harsh reality. Audi would only be obliged to contribute if the part that failed was a known issue and the FASH had failed to replace it under some sort of recall. Even then the onus is on the owner to point these things out.
After 3 years you're on your own, warranty or no warranty.

my W reg S3 has just done 49k and ive just had the cam belt, tensioners and water pump done for my own piece of mind, audi reccomend its changed every 5 years regardless of mileage.
had mine done by an audi technician doing the job as a foreigner, using all genuine brand new parts, total came to £160 inc labour wich i thought was very good, even stamped the service book for me too!

when he removed the old water pump some of the fins had broken up on it, aparently this is a very common fault with them as they are only made from plastic, good job it was changed before it got any worse realy!

160 that very cheap. Where about you live and would he do another. Mines a 1.8 Sport non T, done 64k, would like what you've had done soon

garratt83 said:
160 that very cheap. Where about you live and would he do another. Mines a 1.8 Sport non T, done 64k, would like what you've had done soon

im from Shrewsbury mate, he prob would do anouther, did it at his house tho, just left it with him, droped it off friday evening and collected sat afternoon!