Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    'The boat can leave now, tell the crew'

Status

Newbie Qs for '97 A3 1.8T

Hello people,
    I have just dipped my toe into the world of Audi, specifically the A3 1.8T. I was wondering if you guys would help by dishing out some of your tuning wisdom on this particular model. Basically i would like to know the simplest MODs (Lights etc) and what u would recommend to add a little more OOOMPHH! Also what type of DV would peeps recommend, Brands etc etc?

Thanks for your help.

2. # ADS
    ADS

All Torque

Status
    most cost effective tuning is by far a remap mate, i dont know exactly what the T sports gain (me having a TQ) but i think 190bhp is attainable?

as for the DV its up to you some people say aftermarkets are best some say the standard bosche ones are best, theres hardly a difference imo

after that the other two simple mods are a turbo back exhaust system and cold air intake, along with a remap they should see you over 200bhp no problems
    2000 A3 T Sport Quattro
    Absolut Red
    225 Bhp Remap

Slowest car ever round the Top Gear track?!?

Status
    Lew is right on the DV front. The aftermarket ones are rebuildable, but the plastic Bosch ones work just as well and only cost 15-20 each anyway.

People on the forum have found there is no advantage in changing the standard airbox. Not sure if that's what you meant Lew or if you were talking about adding a cold air feed to the standard airbox? I think the standard one gets its feed from the "cold" wing anyway (the one without an I/C in it on a 1.8T).

I'd say after a remap the next thing to do is the suspension and brakes, especially if the car's getting on a bit. My standard suspension was pretty wallowy by 65K miles.
    Last edited by Timbo; 14th November 2006 at 09:59. Reason: Clarification!
    1997 1.8T || AmD Stage 1 || Eibach springs || Bilstein shocks || EBC Brakes - Gone!
    2006 Nissan 350z GT

Status

A3 1.8T Mods

Thanks guys. I'll have to start writing a list. I've looked into a couple of MAPS namely APR and Revo. Anyone have any experiance with these? I've read that CAIs don't add much if anything to the BHP. Is there any 'How To's' on the introduction of an extra cold air pipe and where to resource the pipe material from?

4th Gear

Status
    An extra cold air pipe is easy to do mate, just pop the bonnet and it's obvious where to put it

I got a decent bit of corrugated aluminium from Green for about 20:

http://www.greenfilters.com/

go to 'Search by Part' then look in 'Air Filter Flexible Tubing' the 80mm Alloy stuff is just the job @ 20ish.

I have REVO on my '98 A3 1.8T Sport and think it's great. Here's roughly what sort of power i'm making:

My AMD Dyno Results and Pics/Video

Dyno Plots are in Post #4.

REVO for our cars is 400, which is an utter bargain:

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/....aspx?pvID=189

All Torque

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo

People on the forum have found there is no advantage in changing the standard airbox. Not sure if that's what you meant Lew or if you were talking about adding a cold air feed to the standard airbox?
    yes mate agreed, its probably just best to swap your panel filter as that will do the same job if not a little bit better, no point in a whole new induction kit imo
    2000 A3 T Sport Quattro
    Absolut Red
    225 Bhp Remap

Status
    Thanks Guys. All looks good to me. One more thing though. With the addition of an extra cold air feed, how have peeps attached the tubing to the box? any nice little mods for that?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by portsA318T
    Thanks Guys. All looks good to me. One more thing though. With the addition of an extra cold air feed, how have peeps attached the tubing to the box? any nice little mods for that?
    I found wrapping the 80mm tube in electrical insulation tape gave a pretty good seal to the inlet to the airbox as the tube has to be squeezed in to the hole anyway. I then zip-tied the hose to the OE ductings mounting bracket that is on the inside of the wing.

Status
    Tallpaul. I take it from what you are saying that you haven't drilled an extra hole into the box and somehow added it to the original intake? Or am i just confusing myself and you have made a new hole. Thanks

4th Gear

Status
    No, i completely removed the original intake that ran around the battery to the front grill. Instead i ran an 80mm hose from the airbox to the corner grill at the bottom of the bumper (where the horn is). The hose just slots in to the hole left in the airbox when the original intake was removed.

It's still all pretty much a waste of time, but i just like tinkering. Now i run a Carbonio CAI, not for any performance reasons - just because i like the wooshy dump valve sound

Status
    Cheers for that. Now where's my toolkit.