Lowered on coilovers

ben_turbo1

Reaction score
Website
www.rsctuning.com
Hi everyone,

I know this is a question asked many times but i've just fitted some FK coilovers to my a3 1.8ts really want to get it real low, at the minute it is about half way down the coils and i am getting a knocking sound when i drive, my knowledge isn't great so need some advise. Is it knocking on the ARB also the drive shaft was rubbing on the U shaped pipe at the front drivers side so i raised it up a bit and i think that has stopped now.

What do i need to buy and get fitted to be able to get it lower and not have any kocking or rubbing, also if iwant to go low will i need a Camber kit?

How much is a camber kit and is there any good garages in the west sussex/ Surrey area that could just sort this all our for me and who would have the parts in stock.

By the way i'm running 18" x 7.5 et35 wheels.

Any help or pointer would be great.

Anyone got anyviews on this, I have e-mailed The Phirm as they are on 20 mins away to see if they can do all the work needed. Anyone got any experience with these guys.

When does the knocking occur?
Did you make sure the strut caps that secure the damper were tight? I've seen them arrive loose. It makes a noise similar to worn out top mounts.

it makes the noise when i go over small sharp bumps, pretty sure i done all the nuts up nice and tight. Will have to check when i have the chance, i hate this time of year getting dark at 4 means no time to work on the car after work.

I've heard things about having to change the ARB when going low because the original one rubs?

I've heard on mk4 golfs you have to change the arb if you wanna go really low. I guess the a3 is pretty similar.
The phirm are very knowledgable and they even do a free checkover the first time you take your car there.

Just had a chat with Tim from The Phirm real nice guy very helpful, i am now booked in with them to have drop links fitted and a few other things done, Tim said in order to go low on A3s you either need a new ARB or Drop links.

Yeah the Phirm are very knowledgable, had them sort my suspension out and other bits for my golf and were absoulutely brilliant, reallly friendly and know there stuff.
As soon as I get sorted with bits for my car I will be knocking on their door for them to fit.:thumbsup: