Exhaust Manifold Problems S3

ash_s3

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has problems with one of the 3 bolts that join the exhaust manifold to the turbo coming loose and falling out causing it to 'blow'
I have to keep replacing the bolt and washers every 2-3 weeks

any ideas how i can stop this happening? not very safe if the bolt should flick up and hit someones car / windscreen

Cheers
ash

Never heard of that happening, should be fine if tightened to the correct torque, however if not why not put some locktight on it or go the motorsport route and wirelock the bolt in place.

tried threadlock and it didnt work at all, i imagine the heat would just melt it
my dad suggested to wire-it-in but its so tight down there i just cant see it happening! Im running out of bolts and split washers!!!

do you think i should try a genuine audi bolt n see if it makes any diference?
thanks
Ash

There are lots of different types of thread lock designed to work in different applications, you should be able to get one that can handle the heat.

What nuts have you been using?

If i remember rightly the genuine VAG bolts are locking nuts with a slightly oval'd hole, if you are not using these that may explain why they are coming undone

definitely use VAG bolts!!

unless you use proper bolts, theres the chance that the difference in metals will cause a difference in size expansion due to the heat. Also you need to make sure the thread depth is sufficient to stop them just dropping out (however unlikely that sounds!).

you need to use copper bolts which have the slit in the side....They lock down and should not come undone!

ah great thanks!
are the genuine bolts copper??
i dont think you need nuts because the hole is threaded??
:uhm:
thanks for the help!
ash