Battery light flashing on display

solihul

Reaction score
Hi,

Started my car up after work and noticed the battery symbol flashing on the display, stopped at the shops not far away, when I started the car back up no sign of the symbol all the way home:confused: . How accurate are these warning symbols, has this happened to anyone else & would you recommend changing the battery?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dude make sure all battery connections are tight and give them a squirt of WD40.... maybe moisture or a loose connection.
Graham.

Mate, I had this problem a little while back.Ignored it, only to realise, that I was doing my battery more harm.
Light came on, then went off the next time I drove the car. started to notice that the battery seemed more weaker each time I started the car(slower tick-over)

Ignored it for a week..Came a point where the car was not driven over a weekend. returned to the car to find the battery dead. jump started the car and continued driving as normal. while i was driving, i notced a smell.really bad smell, similiar to the catalyst smell, all throughout my 20 mile trip. as though my milltek cats had given way. The smell seemed to get stronger even with the windows up. I reach my destination, baffled, and look under the car and cant seem to smell it. open the bonnet and see a little smoking under the battery cover. removed it and saw the battery had inflated and was misting out battery acid as though it was gonna blow! Realised at that point I had been inhaling battery acid for half an hour, which explained the extremely bad headache and nausia.
I let it settle, took the battery out, and replaced it immediately.

May not be the same problem, but I wouldnt wait to find out..
Get your battery tested from any decent spares shop.I believe halfords test your battery free of charge.

hope this helps

Thanks for the advice,

Took the car into Halfords yesterday to get the battery checked, when they plugged their machine in it said 'unable to test' the guy in the shop said that there wasn't much that he could do.

Rung Audi up seeing as the car is still under warranty, they sent a technician out this morning, he measured the battry voltage with the engine running. It read around 14.15 volts which he said was good & said that the alternator seemed fine.

Said that a belt could have come loose and then tightened itself back up !!! Anyway advised that if it comes back on to take it straight to Audi - which I will do because whatever it is should be covered under the warranty, hopefully.

Cool...glad to hear that you got it sorted..