Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Bike rack/towbar?

Hey,

I've done a search on this and can't seem to find any definite answers. I'm after a bike carrier for my car, but as far as I can make out, I won't be able to mount a strap on type one on account of my spoiler, so I'm looking at getting a detachable (and most importantly of all fully hideable when not in use) bosal towbar. I don't want to go down the roof mounted carrier path. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on this?
    Cheers in advance.

Marc
    2001 Brilliant Black A3 Turbo, Bose, Audi iPod Kit, TT pedals, S3 Spoiler

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Were you planning on just using the towbar for the bike rack or did you want to tow stuff at the same time?
    Built in Germany, Perfected in England

Neutral

Status
    No, just for the bike rack. Seems like a lot of hassle for a bike rack, but I don't want to jeapordise my lovely spoiler!

6th Gear

Status
    It depends how the spoiler sits really, if its flush to the top of the roof then you cant have a rack on the boot. But if theres a small gap between it you can.

A detatchable towbar is going to cost a fair bit so yea does seem a bit much for just a bike rack. Roof mount completely out of the question?

Neutral

Status
    I can get one of the towbars for about €150, and I have a tow bar mounted bike rack from an old car, so at least wouldn't need to buy one of those. Theres a little gap between the spoiler and roof, but I'd be afraid the weight of the bikes (especially over bumps) might just pull the spoiler clean off. If I was going down the roof mount path I'd need the roof bars themselves, and the bike carrier, which would work out at more than €150, and they're a pain in the ar$e when you're going under a barrier or into a car park or anything!

Neutral

Status
    Oh yeah, and the fact that all the mud and $hite from the bikes would end up all over the car with a roof mounted carrier, not good!

6th Gear

Status
    sounds like a removable tow bars is the preffered route then

5th Gear

Status
    Mark,

I have a bike rack that fits my A3 and doesn't affect the spoiler at all, it's made by a company called saris and is the bones model - you can fold it right down as well when your finished with it, mine can hold 3 bikes but i think they do a 2 bike version as well.

mike

Neutral

Status
    Hey,
    thanks for the advice guys. had a look at the saris rack, looks pretty good, and not a rip off either. Mike, does the rack hold the bike along the top tube? Just want to be sure my bike will fit. My spoiler isn't perfectly flush with the roof, will that affect it at all? Cheers

Marc

BrianM

Status
    Saris Bones, best rack in the business, try bidding on Ebay for one, they are really hard to get on Ebay unless you pay silly money. Also colour coordinated. The 3 bike retails at about £110 and the going rate on Ebay seems to be £60 ish. take a look at this Ebay no 170046345228, betsbuybikes?

Slowest car ever round the Top Gear track?!?

Status
    I got my Saris Bones from Halfords for about £80. I think it was on sale.

Be careful when mounting it, make sure the bottom feet are supported by the boot lid not the bumper as the weight of the bikes can make the bumper flex which makes the paint crack on the corners of the bumper...

Also, don't use duct tape to protect the bumper paint as it's quite capable of pulling the paint off when you come to remove it (or at least it did on my old car)...

Also, I've found that although it has space for 3 bikes it feels a bit wobbly under the weight of 3 unless you take the wheels off. It also obscures the rear number plate and lights a bit, although I've never bothered with a light/number plate board and I've never been stopped.
    1997 1.8T || AmD Stage 1 || Eibach springs || Bilstein shocks || EBC Brakes - Gone!
    2006 Nissan 350z GT

Neutral

Status
    Looks like this might be the answer alright, I'm just a bit concerned about how the rack holds the bikes themselves. I have a (2000) Gary Fisher Sugar, which has an unusual shaped top tube, will the bike fit in the rack ok? Thanks again for all the info guys.

Marc

5th Gear

Status
    it's quite tricky to explain - there are plastic grooves which the top bar sits in and then there are clips - a bit like cable ties which secure it in place over the top bar

probably easier if i take a couple of pics tonight & mail you

Neutral

Status
    I've got the Saris Bones, and it is indeed a good rack, i have only had 2 bikes on it though, but it was very stable.
    What i had to do was get a cross bar adapter as i have a full sus bike. Saris do their own one and if i remeber its about 30/40 so quite expensive for what it is, there are other cheaper ones available though, have look at wiggle.co.uk.
    I put a bit of rubber waffle matting under the feet so that it doesnt scratch the paintwork, and so far, it has worked a treat.

Neutral

Status
    That's brilliant lads, thanks for all the info, think I'll be going for one of these. Mike, sorry to be a pain, but would there be any way you could mail me a few pics of the carrier on the car? Still curious about how it's mounted and how the bike sits in the rack. I've google imaged it but it's still pretty difficult to make out. Also, want to figure out if I'll have to buy one of those crossbar adaptor things. Cheers again.
    Marc

5th Gear

Status
    I should be able to take some for you - it won't be until the weekend though i'm afraid as my boss has just decided to send me to leeds for the next few days.

Neutral

Status
    Thats brilliant Mike, no hurry, whenever you get a chance. Much appreciated.