1.8T Sport brake upgrade suggestions...?

P

Pete69zx

OK, so i think the standard brakes on my T Sport are garbage!

What is the next choice of upgrade to standard brakes?
(i am running some 17" TT rims on the car)

What is the next choice up from that above?

Finally, what is the next choice up from the above aswell?

I cant afford to go silly upgrade, but would love to... after all, what is power without control!?

Cheers :-D

I tried the 312mm set up on my golf and was very disappointed with them as an upgrade.You can pick up a good used set of R32 brakes for about £200 and you get 334/32mm discs and twin piston calipers and you can sell your original ones.If you go 312mm you use your original calipers.

I doubt 334's or 332's would fit behind 17's. There's only an inch or so each side of my 312's under 18's.

Andy

Thanks so far guys for your thoughts and suggestions, so...

Would you reccomend me going for some larger wheels first, then go for the R32 brake upgrade?

What spec wheels would i need?

It depends how big you want the brakes.I had three sets of 18's on the golf and had no problems with the R32 brakes.Some people on uk-mkiv's have had 17's with R32 brakes,guess it depends on what wheels you have.

Stock S3 Avus wheel (which is a 17") and 334x32 brakes disc

Picture047.jpg

What's the damage for a set of them, with all of the brackets and stuff you need?

Pete69zx said:
What car are those brakes from then Corey?

Lol thats my car, its an S3 with the 996 gt3 brakes that Corey fitted, you need spacers but they fit ok with the 17" standard S3 alloys and really fill out the wheel.
These brakes are the dogs dagglies :yahoo:

tommo-turbo said:
What's the damage for a set of them, with all of the brackets and stuff you need?

Price for the kit is £964, this excludes the spacer's and bolts (which we can supply also).
We also offer a cheaper kit using the stock S3 disc (£885) which doesn't require spacer's.
We also have a track biased kit which uses the Porsche 322x32 cross drilled 2 piece disc and again this doesn't use spacer's either (£1323)

We also fit them for a modest charge (£75)

For the weight of the A3 T Sport and the power it produces with a remap, the 312mm upgrade gives all the stopping power i could ever need. Decent fluid (Motul RBF 600 Dot4) makes all the differance.

Tallpaul said:
For the weight of the A3 T Sport and the power it produces with a remap, the 312mm upgrade gives all the stopping power i could ever need. Decent fluid (Motul RBF 600 Dot4) makes all the differance.

agree totally I woudln't fit anything other than the 312 mono kit to the TSport

Totally disagree.How much will it cost for the 312mm,then look at what you can get for around £200.No competion and think about the looks.

james0808 said:
Totally disagree.How much will it cost for the 312mm,then look at what you can get for around £200.No competion and think about the looks.

Totally disagree with what?

ChriS3 said:
The ECS kits are pretty good. Have a look at these http://www.jbrperformance.co.uk/

They do look good but they are using a the smaller Boxster caliper so disc width would be limted to 25-28mm.
What is the size of the disc out of interest?
What manufacturer is the disc from, are you able to get the disc from any OE outlet (think about this same question in 5-10 years time)
But the kit content looks the same as ours (except the brake fluid, that is extra as 1 litre wouldn't bleed the whole system as our kits come with all the Goodridge lines for the complete car)
Also we don't limit the colour of the caliper's, we can colour match them to any colour you wish, with the matching "Porsche" logo

Corey said:
They do look good but they are using a the smaller Boxster caliper so disc width would be limted to 25-28mm.
What is the size of the disc out of interest?

Depends what kit you're looking at. Some of the discs/calipers are from the Boxster, some are from 911, and some are from the Cayenne (358x32 6pots).

Corey said:
What manufacturer is the disc from, are you able to get the disc from any OE outlet (think about this same question in 5-10 years time)

I have the stage 3 kit. Uses OEM Porsche discs, pads, etc. ECS just machine the hats to fit and the caliper carriers.

Corey said:
But the kit content looks the same as ours (except the brake fluid, that is extra as 1 litre wouldn't bleed the whole system as our kits come with all the Goodridge lines for the complete car)
Also we don't limit the colour of the caliper's, we can colour match them to any colour you wish, with the matching "Porsche" logo

They do the colours too, same apart from the brake fluid then. :yes:

ChriS3 said:
I have the stage 3 kit. Uses OEM Porsche discs, pads, etc. ECS just machine the hats to fit and the caliper carriers.
We use exactly the same disc arrangement but use the monoblock caliper as opposed to the older 2 piece Big Red in their kit, you need to watch out for the corrosion issues that the 2 piece caliper's are prone to, the pad guide is made from stainless steel and over time they lift due to corrosion underneath because of the dissimilar metals (stainless/aluminium) causing the pads to bind.
Plus the the pad area is slightly bigger on the GT3 caliper we use, so there is slightly more clamping force available
ChriS3 said:
They do the colours too, same apart from the brake fluid then. :yes:
They only offer the factory colour's (Red, Black, Yellow and Silver) if you give us the colour code we can colour code to the colour of your car if need be.
So not quite the same but similar oh and
Monoblocks:rockwoot:

good upgrade over standard, these are fitted to the CupraR but for their size they are very heavy and the pistons are not that big.

Corey said:
Totally disagree with what?

R32 are soooo much better in performance,looks and value.I wouldnt fit the 312mm kit.How much is it for the carriers,discs and pads???

With them being standard on a leon its easier and cheaper to get new pads disks etc... i guess the porche pads n disks aint cheap!!!!! imo

KEF A3 20V T said:
With them being standard on a leon its easier and cheaper to get new pads disks etc... i guess the porche pads n disks aint cheap!!!!! imo

Disc's are not as bad as you think, the cross drilled item is £120 ish each, pads are about £55 for OE stuff

james0808 said:

R32 are soooo much better in performance,looks and value.I wouldnt fit the 312mm kit.How much is it for the carriers,discs and pads???

R32 disks alone will set you back over £250 new, for less than £265 you can have a nice new shiny set of TT 312mm brakes with new calipers and carriers that are just crying out to be painted! On a car with less than 250bhp these are more than adequate the most road users IMO

ok, just out of interest, what would you recommend for a pretty well done up S3? i currently have omni competition 312mm cross driled discs with sport pads and ate racing blue fluid...