New S3 seen today

The911SC

Reaction score
Hi All,
Went to see the new S3 at the dealers today..
No offense to potential buyers but its not happening for me, the older S3 is and was much 'more' I think..
Take a look..
DSC00367-1.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00365.jpg

I am intertested in the new S3 but the way I look at it I would need to spend 20k + my car to get the new shape.

Gotta say, the body panels are all the same, there are lower skirts on the doors and a focus ST style re diffuser on the back and thats about it. Seats are just the same as sline ones without any emobssing, same wheel/dash etc. I hear the recaros are now a 3K option taking the car well over 30K. Std wheels were dissapointing too. Maybe sprint blue is not the best colour to show it up either...

So glad I didn't go for the order!

Saw one the other week on the A1 in orange and thought it was a Focus ST coming towards me....would you not be gutted spending all that money on a car to be mistaken for a Focus!!

seeing the S3 badge on the back of that noggy... just looks wrong to me....

such a shame, it could have been so much better :(

I like the new S3 - am I the only one?

Whilst I like the 8L A3/S3 shape more (I don't like the squashed appearance of the new one so much) I still think the new S3 looks good, particularly from the front.

I'm probably replacing my current S3 next summer and the new S3 is definitely on the list of cars to test-drive (along with used M3, S4). I don't care if Clarkson gave it 3 out of 5, it's how it feels to me that counts.

I'm just not feeling that at all, it could have been a hell of a lot better.

:haudrauf:i agree it looks like a focus ST but still, u know its not a focus when it purrs past you.

regardless, im not so keen on it, but its still sex on wheels!

monkeytrousers said:
I like the new S3 - am I the only one?

Whilst I like the 8L A3/S3 shape more (I don't like the squashed appearance of the new one so much) I still think the new S3 looks good, particularly from the front.

I'm probably replacing my current S3 next summer and the new S3 is definitely on the list of cars to test-drive (along with used M3, S4). I don't care if Clarkson gave it 3 out of 5, it's how it feels to me that counts.

Your not the only one!, personally I think the new one looks great and from what I've read in various reviews once you get past the moans about the cost etc it handles and performs better than the previous S3. As someone who has owned 2 S3's in the past I am really looking forward to this one

knowing the audi brand has a huge fan base and in particular the s3 why have audi tried to pass this latest effort off as an s car.little or no imagination has been used when it has come to the exterior styling.great interior,engine on paper looks good so why skimp on the look.come on audi, could do better

mad max said:
knowing the audi brand has a huge fan base and in particular the s3 why have audi tried to pass this latest effort off as an s car.little or no imagination has been used when it has come to the exterior styling.great interior,engine on paper looks good so why skimp on the look.come on audi, could do better

I don't agree. Part of the attraction of the Audi "S" brands is that they are not overstyled, yet still manage to look good, and go fast. Think about it: S4, S6 - they all look very similar to the standard "A" cars.

Even the "RS" cars are subtle, particularly the RS6.

Same goes for the "old" S3: it has slightly wider arches, the double exhaust and a tiny roof spoiler ... otherwise it looks just like the A3.

I agree...
It's no duobt a fine car...but since there is now plenty of options at nearly £30k, it's just not special enough in my eyes.
Almost as if they've taken the easy (cheap) option and left the 'shell alone and stuck with basic bolt-ons to set it apart from the rest of the range.

It just doesn't look different enough to the trained eye, in my view.
I'm not even tempted to rush out and drive it...

Which is a shame.

i was in the stealers yesterday in cambs and they have a black one.

i took a few pics but in honesty it looks so boring im not sure if i can be bothered to get the from my phone.

Its seriously lacking the larger arches and could do with some nicer looking wheels. Inside just felt a bit bland aswell with no recaros. I love the inside of my S3... this new one just felt common though for some reason.

I was talking to a mechanic there though and he was saying its got better haldex control. he didnt know if it was mechanically different or if an upgraded controller to the old s3 would give the same results?? He was adament though that the RS3 will be announce soon which is why the s3 looks so muted.

jediknight said:
He was adament though that the RS3 will be announce soon which is why the s3 looks so muted.

Hmm...but at what cost?
If the S3 is nearly £30k in a decent spec, there's not likely to be much change from mid to late £30ks for an RS3.
Which, for a pumped up Golf/A3 will have to be very special indeed to justify that sort of cash.

Not to mantion it'll have to handle WAY better than any A3/S3 before it...

Thing is though from a branding angle it would cost more than a S4 going on the current prices of a new S3 and I don't think any company could put it above a "bigger" model from a marketing perspective

i dont know about the whole 'more expensive than a larger mode' thing.

Look at the price of a 997 turbo against the base model cayenne.

I dont think thats a valid argument... but the price is! for that money your into cayman and Z4M teritory.

Personally i dont know if there will be one or not... and dont really care as i wont be able to afford one.

In my mind even the faint prospect of an RS3 doesnt help justify why the new s3 looks so boring.

2p

basically, the new s3 looks like a tarts handbag. And a cheap copy one at that.

I think the money would be wiser saved untill the RS-TT comes out... now thats going to be niice...

monkeytrousers said:
I don't agree. Part of the attraction of the Audi "S" brands is that they are not overstyled, yet still manage to look good, and go fast. Think about it: S4, S6 - they all look very similar to the standard "A" cars.

Even the "RS" cars are subtle, particularly the RS6.

Same goes for the "old" S3: it has slightly wider arches, the double exhaust and a tiny roof spoiler ... otherwise it looks just like the A3.

Not so in this case... The S3 is basically the same as a 2.0T Quattro with a chipped haldex and engine. The S cars historically were all different from the A cars (S3 has the K04 turbo and all different panels, interior etc), the S4 has the 4.2V8 or 2.7 V6 plus different handling components etc not available in A guise. They were understated true but not just A cars with a bit of tarting!..

From what I see, this is the first S car that is just chipped and has a different grille.. Not very inspiring...

its a bigger turbo surely they wouldnt max out the standard turbo found in lower models cause they know people can just get a remap. As for the RS3 i wouldnt be surprised if they used the TTRS unit (2.5bi turbo) & released a limited number of the current A3 shape as RS3's before the new A3 is released.