Haldex Problem (i think!)

Wicked666

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
Hi guys

A lot of the time i'm driving and putting my foot down, the car keeps jerking, almost like a bunnyhop.

At first I though it was my turbo as it happens whenever i'm going over 80mph. But it sometimes happens at slower speeds.

Could this by a problem with the car shifting power to the rear? If so can I check it with VAGCOM? It was serviced recently (however i'm nit sure if they serviced the haldex - this was definately serviced 18 months ago though)

If the haldex does need replacing, anyone have any idea of costs?

Not sure weither this will help,Had a simaler problem on my S2 turned out to be a split hose

If you want a new part it's ****** expensive, well into 4 figures from memory including fitting, however I think there are a fair few 2nd hand ones about. How many miles since the haldex oil was changed?

about £15k miles if the place i went to recently didn't service it. I might just go down there and ask him if he did. Would vag com help? also is it true that if i put handbrake up a little it disables the haldex? That way i can check.

Depends, I think the handbrake trick will work if you've got ESP but I don't and it doesn't on my S3 (which doesn't have esp). Oil should be fine, it's every 20k. I'd check everything else first if I were you.

check the sensors on the wheels as they can cause problems too. Mine was rubbing on the tyre and wore through causing the same problems your experiencing.

cheers guys. i don't have esp. raasta, what sensors should I be checking? The abs ones?

sorry for all he questions. when it comes to car audio i'm a whizz but haven't got a clue when it comes to engines and drivetrains!

Does it happen at certain revs, like a hesitance in power during the rev-renage whilst on full throttle?, I keep thinking it's the MAF sensor playing up from your description of what happens ?!
As for the power shifting to the back axle under acceleration, you can hardly feel it, you only know it's working, cos' you can't get the damn car to wheelspin when pulling off.

changed MAF a month ago thinking it was that too. Only happens constantly over 80mph when accelerating. Could the turbo need reconditioning?

Wicked666 said:
changed MAF a month ago thinking it was that too. Only happens constantly over 80mph when accelerating. Could the turbo need reconditioning?

I changed the MAF on my Passat TDI a month ago too, took it back for an exchange under warranty, after it ******** up the Plug which connects to it and killed itself in the process... so fragile these MAF sensors. :mad:

There are ABS sensors on each wheel. check the cable on them and also for any crud covering the sensor area where it reads the rotating disc.
Have you plugged in a vag com?

Long shot but; are you able to resverse in a complete circle? I had an issue where I could not reverse as it just 'locked up' and I had stuttering everynow and again. They ran a VAG.COM but came back with nothing as the Haldex has a different sensor, so the technician tried and had the problem. They took the car in and my Haldex was replaced under warranty this happed at @ 60K miles.

cheers, reversing seems fine although i've not done a complete circle.

Not sure if this changes anything but looking at the rev counter, it's happens more often at 2300 revs - maybe a remap could solve the problem and it's not mechanical?

These hesitancy issues are so common on these 1.8T engines. I cannot believe VW/AUDI have never owned up to an overall design fault/glitch in some engine part or even the ECU programming.

4.5 years on, my S3 still hesitates. Tried all sorts, it literally could be one of about 50 things. Its a nightmare. Good luck mate.

AL