Aerial base removal

concoursneil

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Quick question what is the easiest way to remove the base of the aerial from the roof. I know you can access part of it through the rear interior light, is it possible to remove it all through there or do i need to take the middle section of the roof lining down from just the rear between the c pillars.
If i do need to take that down , how does it come apart ?
do i need to take rear quarter covers off too?

My reception is getting worse lately , and i believe the base section becomes porous over time and interfears with quality.

Hope someone can shed a little light on the subjuct for me :beerchug: :thumbsup:

Neil

There is a PCB in the aerial base that you can get to from the interior light just pull the black cover off to see if it has any water damage.

Unscrew the whip. Carefully lever the base up and then fold in back on intself ie up the air. You will need to protect paint when doing this and an extra pair of hands is a good idea to hold it while you use an adjustable spanner to undo the nut underneath.

I changed mign to a shark fin but the seals on the original aerial were shot.

steve1975l said:
There is a PCB in the aerial base that you can get to from the interior light just pull the black cover off to see if it has any water damage.

Unscrew the whip. Carefully lever the base up and then fold in back on intself ie up the air. You will need to protect paint when doing this and an extra pair of hands is a good idea to hold it while you use an adjustable spanner to undo the nut underneath.

I changed mign to a shark fin but the seals on the original aerial were shot.

my aerial seal is cracking and aerial is split too.
trying to put this off for now.

the wire that connects the aerial to the radio has a plug and socket about six inches down its length. this can also be disconnected if you need to.
to do this, i opened the boot and removed some of the big rubber black seal and CAREFULLY pulled down the headliner from there. when you find the little plug/socket, there is a little arrow on it to show you what way to pull it apart.

i removed the rear light switch panel, access is tight but it is possilbe managed to change mine fine. Infact PCB which is usually located in the aerial base now sits inside the car rather than out. Speak to VAG parts for details about £28 if i remember correctly.