Question regarding vibration with spacers

spanishS3

Reaction score
Hello:
I bought a set of 4 wheel spacers for my S3. They are 10 mm after what I read from here. They are just flat and have a smal indent around the inside of the surface which goes against the hub.
The problem is i get a lot of vibration (wheels have just been balanced), and it just doesn´t seem safe, as the wheel cannot hang anymore from the hub.
Is this the type of 10mm spacers you have on your S3s? I will post some pics when I get my camera back. I have seen a pic of the spacers forge do, and I would like to know if there are 10mm spacers with that type of design.
Thanks!!!

Thanks Ess:
Certainly this is a hit or miss situation. Now that i now HR makes them, I will ask the shop where I bought them to change them. Thanks for the hint. By the way, they weren´t so cheap, they cost 120 € for the 4 of them.

just out of curiousity 'ess three', how much were your spacers for your golf gti? as i'm after a set my vr6. i take it you need to use longer wheel bolts as well?

[ QUOTE ]
spanishS3 said:
Thanks Ess:
Certainly this is a hit or miss situation. Now that i now HR makes them, I will ask the shop where I bought them to change them. Thanks for the hint. By the way, they weren´t so cheap, they cost 120 € for the 4 of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

120 Euros! Ouch...
Especially fon non nub-centric spacers.

Anyway, I was thinking about mine...i'm pretty cretain they are H&R...but I think Eibach make them too...so there's a slim chance they are Eibach. 95% sure they are H&R though.

I'd say they would be more expensive than your current ones though!

[ QUOTE ]
acf8181 said:
just out of curiousity 'ess three', how much were your spacers for your golf gti? as i'm after a set my vr6. i take it you need to use longer wheel bolts as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... *searching through memory*... I think they were about £70 for a pair.

That didn't include bolts either...thy were about £1 each...but you have to be careful with bolts...the only longer ones I could get hold of are fine for 16mm long spacers, but if you try and use them for 10mm spacers they are fine for thwe back, but go in too far at the front and bend the ABS sensor ring inboard of the front hub. not good.

I ended up taking mine down to 9mm longer than standard (as there is a few mm spare on the standard bolts) in a lathe at work. Now they are a perfect fit.

Watch out for arch clearence issues too...I run ET43 wheels (standard Anniversary fitment) so even with spacers I'm only up to ET33. With 215 tyres and that offset I was rubbing the plastic arch extension slightly at the back.

You should be fine at the front though with a bit of negative camber - which is the reason I fitted them, so I could get more negative camber without the wheel/tyre hitting the strut.