Chips with that? Revo and APR experiences

dpeilow

Reaction score
Just a couple of observations on remaps that I want to run past you guys to make sure my memory isn't playing tricks on me...

I had the Revo trial recently and I was very impressed with the low down torque and throttle response. It made the car very driveable around town and in normal traffic, but still had the top end poke for having a bit of fun on the B roads.

I've now got the APR trial and I have to say I am less impressed. It still has the top end power, but is much more like the standard Audi map at the low end. You still have to watch getting bogged down from the lights and very little happens until the turbo comes in. I'm also running the APR 98 octane program as my trial and have put V-power in the whole time, but it still feels no better than the Revo. And unlike some claims, I haven't been able to make it hit 60 in second.

I think overall the Revo has it for being much more useful in all conditions and therefore better value for money. The APR might suit people who like to scream the knackers off it all day long, but that's not really me. Interesting though that the APR dealer reckoned there wasn't much to choose between them.

What do you guys think?

Dave

i haver the revo with the SPS3 switch and love it especially on high boost 9. never tried the APR remap so cant comment.
i like the revo low end torque, much more driveable and a different car compared to stock performance. i run v-power to and nothing less

Lee

You will never get a S3 to hit 60 in second, this has been discussed time and time again due to the gearing of the car, you will run out of revs way before the 60 mark!

A typical comment from people that have tried both the APR and REVO trials is that REVO is more 'Aggressive'. This is something you have also noted, if you prefer the characteristics or REVO then go for it. You won't be dissapointed, plus if you make more mods and have VAG-COM then an SPS3 and perhaps REVO Stage 2 (depending on mods) means you'll become your very own 'Custom' remapper! :)

JamS3 said:
You will never get a S3 to hit 60 in second, this has been discussed time and time again due to the gearing of the car, you will run out of revs way before the 60 mark!

raising the rev limiter would address this surely?

Tallpaul said:
A typical comment from people that have tried both the APR and REVO trials is that REVO is more 'Aggressive'. This is something you have also noted, if you prefer the characteristics or REVO then go for it. You won't be dissapointed, plus if you make more mods and have VAG-COM then an SPS3 and perhaps REVO Stage 2 (depending on mods) means you'll become your very own 'Custom' remapper! :)

Well talking of custom maps, has anyone used APR's V-tune and would it be able to alter the low end characteristics that I have described?

pablo said:
raising the rev limiter would address this surely?

Yup, go for something like IHI VF34 or any other turbo that would actually still flow gas at those engine speeds and you could easily raise the limit to 7500 - 7800rpm :)

Guys, let's not get hung up on this 60mph thing... it was just a bit of a throwaway comment ;)

Is there anything else I can try that might suit, based on my observations?

Edit: Just went out for a lunchtime blat to show a mate who also tried the Revo - and it has reverted to stock. I've had about 4.5 hours from the 6 hour trial. Tut.

in a similar dilema myself, looking to get a remap at christmas and awesome are just up the road from my folks house when I go back over!

Had my revo map no for 4 weeks and all i can say is its the best thing i have done to the car, it is just smiles all the way up to the red line Lol.

The power is just awesome

:scared2:

I've decided I'm going to try to get the Revo trial back on there this week to get a more direct comparison. Now that the APR has reverted to stock levels, it does seem much lower across the board, but I still think the Revo had the edge on torque and sheer drivability.

WaK said on another thread that people will just go with any trial they try first, but if they do then I think that is being too hasty.

Are you aware that the code still stays on your ecu with the trial modes?

When you get your "proper" remap some companies will charge you to take the code off that you don't want!

Yes I'm aware of that.

I've already had one trial code taken off a few months back and it was 2 minutes' work. I think anyone who wants the business should take it off or I might just walk away. In my case, if my chosen Revo dealer doesn't want to do that, I'll wait until I'm next in the vicinity of the APR place that put my current trial on to get it removed - then take my business to another Revo dealer.

I had a APR remap on my previous S3 with the 3 performance programmes on the ecu (optimax, normal, and valet mode). The mapping was fairly aggressive but ran out of steam above 4.5k rpm. This was quite frustrating when overtaking!

Plus had big problems with power loss, no-one could find out what was wrong with the car inc Audi Uk who acknowledged there was a problem. Phone calls to APR in the US did not even work and alot of people believed the ECU to be at fault so I'm not a fan of having numerous programmes on the one ECU.

I'm on my second S3 now and have gone for the AMD custom remap and believe me it beats the others hands down, much more drivable and pulls all the way to the red line.

So let me get this right, Revo - pulls hard all the way , AMD custom - very good, APR- Useless???
Common lads has anyone got rolling road print outs to prove all this etc dont want to book in for an APR remap pay 400 quid and then be disappointed with it

mikerd4 said:
So let me get this right, Revo - pulls hard all the way , AMD custom - very good, APR- Useless???
Common lads has anyone got rolling road print outs to prove all this etc dont want to book in for an APR remap pay 400 quid and then be disappointed with it

Which model A3/S3 do you have?

Nobody is saying APR is useless and the trials or both APR and REVO give less power than the full codes anyway.

I've never tried APR, but from what i've read the people that have the full code are very happy.

I don't honestly believe there is a significant differance on the road between any 'Stage 1' remap. Irrespective of whether someone produces a dyno plot saying theirs has 10bhp more than another one. I mean, how can you feel 10bhp on the road? If you go for a remap by anyone with a sound reputation you will be more than happy.

OK I've just had the Revo put back on today (from another dealer) and maybe I was remembering the last one with rose tinted glasses or maybe I have a fault, but both me and my passenger reckon it feels far more flat than last time. So maybe there is little to choose between this and APR.

They didn't charge me to remove the APR code though.

Tallpaul said:
I don't honestly believe there is a significant differance on the road between any 'Stage 1' remap. Irrespective of whether someone produces a dyno plot saying theirs has 10bhp more than another one. I mean, how can you feel 10bhp on the road? If you go for a remap by anyone with a sound reputation you will be more than happy.

I agree with you on the 10bhp thing, but I am interested in finding differences at lower revs atm.

As there is no difference in price between the two with all the options, if there is no difference on the road then the APR wins for getting a cruise control into the bargain.

However I'm intrigued by your stage 1 comment. Which one has the advantage for stage 2 then? If I'm making the investment I'd quite like to know.

Dave

I had APR. It overfuelled, was set up for american fuel and climate. The limp home system had been overwritten so basically the car wouldnt have ever gone into a safe mode. It drove ok normally but i dread to think what could have happened if something had gone wrong. Boost and power used to seem to drop off very early too.

Maybe I spoke too soon. Did the 5 second throttle reset proceedure and I don't know if that helped, but it's back. Huge torque that you have to be very careful with in a traffic jam! :)

JamS3 said:
I had a APR remap on my previous S3 with the 3 performance programmes on the ecu (optimax, normal, and valet mode). The mapping was fairly aggressive but ran out of steam above 4.5k rpm. This was quite frustrating when overtaking!

Plus had big problems with power loss, no-one could find out what was wrong with the car inc Audi Uk who acknowledged there was a problem. Phone calls to APR in the US did not even work and alot of people believed the ECU to be at fault so I'm not a fan of having numerous programmes on the one ECU.

I'm on my second S3 now and have gone for the AMD custom remap and believe me it beats the others hands down, much more drivable and pulls all the way to the red line.

I love the way my AmD stage 2 pulls right up to the red line!! I agree with JamS3!!

dpeilow said:
Maybe I spoke too soon. Did the 5 second throttle reset proceedure and I don't know if that helped, but it's back. Huge torque that you have to be very careful with in a traffic jam! :)

Throttle reset proceedure?? Please explain.

Turn key to ignition but don't start, hold down throttle for 5 seconds, then 5 seconds off, then start. It's been mentioned in previous threads.