Modified Performance stats for S3!

garethhill

Reaction score
Website
www.alphacaraudio.co.uk
What kind of work would the S3 (225) engine ideally have to have done to acheive the below stats.

0-60-4.5 to 5.0 secs
0-100-11-12 secs
1/4mile-12-13 secs
Top speed-170mph+

Not sure how easy and how much this would cost to acheive this ?

Standard stats are around :-

0-60-6.4
0-100-16.5
Top speed 152

Lists of ideas and prices would be great if anyone has gone this far

Realistically, you would need a big Turbo to achieve those times, so around £4500 as a ball park figure for an IHI fully fitted with uprated FMIC, bigger injectors, custom downpipe and custom remap from what I have been reading on these forums, looking at around ~320BHP
As for top speed, the standard gearbox wouldn't reach 170mph, so a new one of these with different gearing would be £££s... you could always be the first though :racer:

Not sure if even 320bhp would be enough. Caney's got 415bhp in his TT and he's in the 13's for the 1/4 and only just sub 5secs to 60mph.

I reckon 450bhp and a new gear box - lots and lots and lots of money. Cheaper to buy a 911....

So yeah, that stage 6 upgrade from AMD will give your standard S3 460bhp, @ £35k plus lets say £20k as a ball park figure for your car, thats £55k!!

Buy one of these if you wanna spend that much cash!!

55plate SL55 AMG with 1000miles on the clock £49.995 :moa:

You'd have to spend an absolute fortune and you'd see none of it back when you came to sell the car. You could get a brand new RS4 for that sort of money.

well mines currently running at 297bhp, list of mods can be seen in gallery. All the engine bits and bobs would habe prob cost in the region of around 1500-2k. How much more power do you want?

garethhill said:
For what sort of money can i make it a bit quicker then or should i just buy a e39 m5 lol, thats that quick as standard

Lol, £350-500 will get you a remap, 255-265bhp, and a big smile. Exhausts, induction kits, DV's etc, will give you more noise, but no more power. IF you want more power than that, you need to start thinking about changing the turbo - the K04 won't flow much above 280bhp.

Booth_S3 said:
well mines currently running at 297bhp, list of mods can be seen in gallery. All the engine bits and bobs would habe prob cost in the region of around 1500-2k. How much more power do you want?

297 BHP?
What mods?
Has it got either standalone management & big injectors or a big turbo?
What sort of torque?
What boost levels?

Ess_Three said:
297 BHP?
What mods?
Has it got either standalone management & big injectors or a big turbo?
What sort of torque?
What boost levels?

supposed to say 279bhp, sorry!

just having the car remapped at any of the good VAG tuners will give you a bigger top end, even mine 210 with REVO saw the speedo at 165 at 6200rpm so maybe 170+ is nearly there, as for the 0-60 times have to agree with everyone on here bigger turbo is a must and then the rest of the bits that go along, bigger injectors,new fmic etc,etc

The speedo is not a very good reflection of actual spped, mine is roughly 4-5mph out according to GPS!!

mintie said:
just having the car remapped at any of the good VAG tuners will give you a bigger top end, even mine 210 with REVO saw the speedo at 165 at 6200rpm so maybe 170+ is nearly there,

You must have the most optimistic speedo in the world!
A chipped S3 struggles to break the genuine 150MPH mark...and it hasn't got a hope in hell of getting to 160MPH...never mind 165 or 170+.
Sorry...
The Aerodynamics vs drag vs power just don't allow it.

ChriS3 said:
Not sure if even 320bhp would be enough. Caney's got 415bhp in his TT and he's in the 13's for the 1/4 and only just sub 5secs to 60mph.

I reckon 450bhp and a new gear box - lots and lots and lots of money. Cheaper to buy a 911....

is that with or without nos ? chris

Booth_S3 said:
4-5mph more or less? if its more, its coz of the bigger wheels!

My speedo reads 4-5mph over what speed im doing.

The rolling circumference of my 18's compared to the 17's is pretty much the same so i dont think its because of the wheels!!

why wouldnt I get 160 in my S3, when they say its limited to 155mph ish, surely the remap gets rid of the limited top end

There's no speed limiter.
The S3 has neither enough power, nor low enough aerodynamics to go much over 150MPH - if anything over 150 at all.

To get even remotely close to 160MPH you'd need lower drag and lots more power.

Anyone who thinks their S3 will do 160 is dreaming I'm afraid, even with a big turbo.
Anyone who thinks it'll do nearly 170 MPH is wired to the moon.

mintie said:
why wouldnt I get 160 in my S3, when they say its limited to 155mph ish, surely the remap gets rid of the limited top end

It's not limited to 155 because it can't reach 155.
You can't get rid of a limiter that isn't there.

The drag vs power of the S3 is the limit. Basic physics...not an electronic limit.

thanks for clearing that up... i don't know about remapped cars, but on standard cars you reach the top speed (i've seen 240kph downhill) at such high rpm's that you're already past the peak power...so as you get faster not only are you fighting increased drag, but you're loosing power with each rpm increase...

at least thats what i think :)

dultanur said:
thanks for clearing that up... i don't know about remapped cars, but on standard cars you reach the top speed (i've seen 240kph downhill) at such high rpm's that you're already past the peak power...so as you get faster not only are you fighting increased drag, but you're loosing power with each rpm increase...

at least thats what i think :)

Spot on!
240KPH is bang on it's top speed I'd say.

ChriS3 said:
the K04 won't flow much above 280bhp.

with the K04 even if you help it with tyre compresor you can not "flow" 280 bhp! 255-260 bhp with every kind of addons like filter , exhaust or anythink.

if one keeps the K04 he will not break the 260 bhp limit never !

andreitentean said:
with the K04 even if you help it with tyre compresor you can not "flow" 280 bhp! 255-260 bhp with every kind of addons like filter , exhaust or anythink.

well thats funny coxz theres a hell of alot of people on here with more BHP than that with the standard KO4 turbo!:beee:

andreitentean said:

That's a new one on me. The highest genuine figure I've seen is about 278bhp, or about 215whp.

what if you put a five speed box out the A3 sport 1.8T in an S3 ?

mattyboy199 said:
what if you put a five speed box out the A3 sport 1.8T in an S3 ?
Is the A3 Sport Turbo Quattro? If not then I doubt you could do the swap. Unless you can modify the FWD box to accept a transfer box?

andreitentean said:

That's ********, frankly!
A K04 will flow 280+ if maxxed out on optimised manifolds, inlet piping, far better (more efficient ICs) and possible injector upgrades.

I can't remember the values, but in theory, a K04 could flow 285 BHP at it's maximum...I think ChriS3 has the figures to hand and may be able to assist here.

280 is possible...I'd not care to say for how long...but it's do-able.

A standard a K04 can be made to flow 280ish (certainly 275+) whilst holding over 1.25 bar to the redline - but it's adding soooooo much heat thet far more afficient ICs are essential.
If you log injector on times on a car in this spec thay are *just* safe...ie, they are bearly having time to switch off before being switched back on again.

So, you need far better ICs, the K04 running flat out with virtually no boost control at all, optimised TB, optimised boost pipework and an aggressive fuel and ignition map...but you can get 280BHP.
It's not easy...and you need to carry out pretty much every tweak you can think of to get cumulative gains...

My old S3 made 1.98 bar peak boost and held approx 1.25 bar to the red-line and made 332 lb-ft and 275 BHP on a reliable/conservative dyno.
When the next owner had it, he added a 'boost machine' to tailor the boost curve and it ran 315 lb-ft and 282 BHP.

Now...275 (or in my case 274.5) BHP calculated at the flywheel was 214 BHP at the wheels.
The same dyno where it made 208 BHP / 199 lb-ft standard (spot on)
The same dyno where my Golf GTI made 150 BHP standard (spot on)
The same dyno where my standard 911 makes 320 BHP (spot on)
The same dyno where my S3 in it's 1st stage chip made 240BHP/250 lb-ft (spot on I'd say)
The same dyno where certain other tuning companies S3s claiming 270BHP / 300 lb-ft were actually making 250+ BHP and 270 ish lb-ft.
The dyno is pretty accurate.

image.jpg

This S3 has been running at stages of tune between 275/332 (All my tweaks + N75J), 280/315 (David R spec with a 'boost machine) and 270/310 (high-boost map and std N75 - no 'boost machine') for about 4 years now...and it's still going strong (very) and makes the numbers on any rolling road you care to point it at.

So pardon me if I think your comments are ********...
It's been proven time and time again...

Ess_Three said:
That's ********, frankly!
A K04 will flow 280+ if maxxed out on optimised manifolds, inlet piping, far better (more efficient ICs) and possible injector upgrades.

I can't remember the values, but in theory, a K04 could flow 285 BHP at it's maximum...I think ChriS3 has the figures to hand and may be able to assist here.

280 is possible...I'd not care to say for how long...but it's do-able.

A standard a K04 can be made to flow 280ish (certainly 275+) whilst holding over 1.25 bar to the redline - but it's adding soooooo much heat thet far more afficient ICs are essential.
If you log injector on times on a car in this spec thay are *just* safe...ie, they are bearly having time to switch off before being switched back on again.

So, you need far better ICs, the K04 running flat out with virtually no boost control at all, optimised TB, optimised boost pipework and an aggressive fuel and ignition map...but you can get 280BHP.
It's not easy...and you need to carry out pretty much every tweak you can think of to get cumulative gains...

My old S3 made 1.98 bar peak boost and held approx 1.25 bar to the red-line and made 332 lb-ft and 275 BHP on a reliable/conservative dyno.
When the next owner had it, he added a 'boost machine' to tailor the boost curve and it ran 315 lb-ft and 282 BHP.

Now...275 (or in my case 274.5) BHP calculated at the flywheel was 214 BHP at the wheels.
The same dyno where it made 208 BHP / 199 lb-ft standard (spot on)
The same dyno where my Golf GTI made 150 BHP standard (spot on)
The same dyno where my standard 911 makes 320 BHP (spot on)
The same dyno where my S3 in it's 1st stage chip made 240BHP/250 lb-ft (spot on I'd say)
The same dyno where certain other tuning companies S3s claiming 270BHP / 300 lb-ft were actually making 250+ BHP and 270 ish lb-ft.
The dyno is pretty accurate.

image.jpg

This S3 has been running at stages of tune between 275/332 (All my tweaks + N75J), 280/315 (David R spec with a 'boost machine) and 270/310 (high-boost map and std N75 - no 'boost machine') for about 4 years now...and it's still going strong (very) and makes the numbers on any rolling road you care to point it at.

So pardon me if I think your comments are ********...
It's been proven time and time again...

If you think that I came here wanting to argue with you, you are wrong.
I am telling you about my experience and, belive me, I am not a granturismo player on playstation!
The power that I told you is CORECT.
It is real life power , NOT 4500 rpm power.
I have done at least 3 diferent turbo upgrades on my S3, excluding the fapt that I putt everything on the standad K04(silicon hoses,intake silicon hose, diferent intake filters and kits,rollers,fmic,gaskets,spark plugs,coils, diferent acuators or blowoff valves, all the N75, race exhaust and even APR downpipe) and by diferent I mean more than one!

Again : you can not exceed 255-260 bhp at factory peak power rpm or higher.

You can exceed this at lower rpm, like 4500, which is optimistic in my opinion, but this "mid range peak power" doesn't do anything good for you. You overstress the transmision and the cluch and tends to lose traction in wet,cold or winter conditions that our car is famous for.

So that is my point. max 260 bhp.

PS: try to find nicer words for my comments because if I put a picture with my garage you will see that I am not a virtual player and who is "********"