1.8t Quattro sport

l66hod

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you can help... been lookin around the forum and lots of sites trying to find out what my cars would remap to..:banghead: bhp wise..

Ive been told from between 190-240 who's had there's done and how much did you gain.

The car is standard so would i need to put a new dv on and whats the best option for this Forge, Bailey etc Had different responses from all of the company's i been too..

HELP.. don't want to get ripped off..

Sorry if this as been asked to many times...

l66hod said:
Hi all,

Hope you can help... been lookin around the forum and lots of sites trying to find out what my cars would remap to..:banghead: bhp wise..

Ive been told from between 190-240 who's had there's done and how much did you gain.

The car is standard so would i need to put a new dv on and whats the best option for this Forge, Bailey etc Had different responses from all of the company's i been too..

HELP.. don't want to get ripped off..

Sorry if this as been asked to many times...
What year car is it,it does make a huge difference ,but expect 190-220 from just a chip( standard engine spec dependant).

my 1.8TQ went from 175 to 202bhp with AMD. Wasn't too happy with it but they'd checked everything and said it was one of those things!

IMHO on a stock 1.8T you can't go too far wrong with a stock S3 Bosch DV (P/N 06A 145 710 N) for ~ £17.

Just make sure your car is in good condition before you remap. It won't cure any current running problems.
I gave my car a good service before its remap, including the fuel filter, N75 and DV. That in itself made a huge difference. In my case the fuel filter was very blocked, despite being fed Optimax most of its life.
After that the car was making a good healthy 180 bhp, or thereabouts.

As for choice of remaps, there are satisfied customers of various companies here, so it can get confusing whom to choose. But I would say don't get fooled by quotes of big figures. In reality these may not be achievable, or may be so peaky the car may be no fun to drive.

Where in the world you are may have an influence on whom you choose, but if you intend to keep the car you may live with this upgrade for a lot of miles, so it may be worth travelling for it.

I think the best thing to do, would be to have a go in some stock cars that have been remapped, to get an idea of what could be suitable for your own car. Although I’m not sure how easy that would be for you.

Personally I had a custom remap from MrC on my 1.8T quattro Sport, so I had some input on how I wanted it to perform. I was very pleased with the results. A good remap can totally transform the car.

One thing I will warn. If your remap is successful, it may have a knock on effect. You may need to upgrade the brakes and suspension, if you haven’t already. Personally I think it’s a good idea to do these upgrades anyway, but it depends on what your driving style is like.

You won't need a new DV unless your current one is failing, and even then you could just replace it with another cheapo Bosch one. The engineer doing the remap should check for pre-existing problems anyway.

You won't get 240bhp out of a remap on a 1.8TQ!! A bigger turbo (& wallet!) would be needed.

Wicked666 - I bet it feels better to drive though? I wouldn't put too much emphasis on absolute engine bhp as rollers can't measure them accurately anyway.

Timbo said:
You won't get 240bhp out of a remap on a 1.8TQ!! A bigger turbo (& wallet!) would be needed.
You can get 240 from a later car with a ko3s ,but only if you are willing to spend the money on the associated bits,fmic,full exhaust etc.Proven many times.Bigger turbo not needed unless a ko3 is standard fitment.

hi all,

Its a w reg quattro full leather a/c bose upgrade and c/c...
Had it for about 6-7 weeks now and looking to start doing some upgrades.. will add some pics later when i get home... is there any pics that could help answer any of the questions..?

How do i find out what type of engine it has in it.. new to all this and will be askin a lot of questions and this forum seems to be the best one for advice..

in your opinions which DV would be the best Forge or Bailey.. The rest of the car is standard.

engine type will be in the service book that came with the car mate,

theres loads of DV's available but no matter which you have the difference will be unoticable imo, your best off just getting the standard bosch 710N, bargain :)

i think from the respone the standard one will be the choice to get.. Not to fussed on the look under the bonnet and by the sound of it, thats all you get from the after market ones unless you are getting high bhp figures.

will have a look in the book and see what it is thanks for that..

l66hod said:
i think from the respone the standard one will be the choice to get.
Worth repeating that you will only "need" a new DV if the old one's broken!

ANDYTQ said:
You can get 240 from a later car with a ko3s ,but only if you are willing to spend the money on the associated bits,fmic,full exhaust etc.Proven many times.Bigger turbo not needed unless a ko3 is standard fitment.
I don't really want to start an argument, but I think 240bhp would only be possible with a combination of an optimistic RR and the RR operator hanging the RR temp sensor in the engine bay!

My car came out at 197.8bhp post remap (K03), but on closer inspection the ambient temp. on the RR readout was over 50°C which would have made the RR software overcompensate quite a lot. As this was at one of the reputable tuners I can only assume this practice is widespread, and as a result I take all bhp claims with a pinch of salt. Think of it as marketing!

If you've got a full RR readout which says otherwise, or can point me to one, I'd be interested to see it. I may eat my words (or I may pick holes in the RR readout - let's see!).

Anyway, a remapped K03s engine should make a bit more power than a remapped k03, and both should make more than stock, which is the main point!

iirc APR's Bolt on K04 kit will produce 242bhp with just that and their turbo back system, id guess it would be around the 225-230bhp with just the turbo kit?

Timbo said:
Worth repeating that you will only "need" a new DV if the old one's broken!

I don't really want to start an argument, but I think 240bhp would only be possible with a combination of an optimistic RR and the RR operator hanging the RR temp sensor in the engine bay!

My car came out at 197.8bhp post remap (K03), but on closer inspection the ambient temp. on the RR readout was over 50°C which would have made the RR software overcompensate quite a lot. As this was at one of the reputable tuners I can only assume this practice is widespread, and as a result I take all bhp claims with a pinch of salt. Think of it as marketing!

If you've got a full RR readout which says otherwise, or can point me to one, I'd be interested to see it. I may eat my words (or I may pick holes in the RR readout - let's see!).

Anyway, a remapped K03s engine should make a bit more power than a remapped k03, and both should make more than stock, which is the main point!
Sorry i didn't realise i was talking to a expert on 1.8t motors and rolling roads.KO3S will make that power PROVEN.

ANDYTQ said:
Sorry i didn't realise i was talking to a expert on 1.8t motors and rolling roads.KO3S will make that power PROVEN.
Well I'm skeptical, which is why I'm asking you to PROVE it.

Quattro_Lew said:
iirc APR's Bolt on K04 kit will produce 242bhp with just that and their turbo back system, id guess it would be around the 225-230bhp with just the turbo kit?
That sounds like a reasonable claim, although I'd have thought the K04 would make more than that? Unless they're claiming that without a remap to suit? Or maybe the K03 manifold/TIP can't cope?

Timbo said:
Well I'm skeptical, which is why I'm asking you to PROVE it.

That sounds like a reasonable claim, although I'd have thought the K04 would make more than that? Unless they're claiming that without a remap to suit? Or maybe the K03 manifold/TIP can't cope?
I have proven it,you should have come to rr day at amd,check out seatcupra.net and uk mkivs for many more people that have proven it too.A ko4-01 direct bolt on(ko3 fitment) ie non hybrid is unreliable and not much better than a ko3s if at all.A proper ko4(020/023) ko3 fitment hybrid will give 250-280(maybe more?) bhp with the right setup and mapping ,ie bigger injectors ,maf ,fmic ,exhaust etc and i shall be trying out a am04 st2 hybrid this winter sometime(still collecting the parts needed).

ANDYTQ said:
you should have come to rr day at amd
I don't think that would have changed my skepticism with regard to RR figures! Useful for comparing one car against another and before/after mapping/modding but less so for flywheel bhp extrapolation.

ANDYTQ said:
check out seatcupra.net and uk mkivs for many more people that have proven it too.
I do browse those sites for info from time to time.

I'm not having a go at you, or your car which you've clearly put a lot of work into, just saying I take RR figures with a pinch of salt after my own experiences. I don't think people should take RR flywheel figures as gospel.

Anyway, my original point was:

Timbo said:
So I may be wrong about the turbo - I wanted to be proved wrong by a valid RR printout (with ambient temp. shown) or a link to one (don't care whose it is). Never mind.

I think you agree with me about the remap and the wallet?!

ANDYTQ said:
i shall be trying out a am04 st2 hybrid this winter sometime(still collecting the parts needed).
I'll be interested to follow this when it happens - good luck.

Well, fyi, i had my remap done on my 51 plate 2002 A3 1.8 quattro with AMD and the before was 178bhp with the after being a satisfying 234bhp which is a magnificent increase in bhp of 56!!! I did have the charts to prove it but they've gone... along with the car :)

I can well believe 240bhp is possible from a K03Sport. And I don't doubt AndyTQ's figures with the mods he has.
I got 231bhp on Interpros RR and we had a few well known cars as benchmarks. Most were reading low, due mostly to heatsoak, although a few were pretty much bang on.

I'm sure we've all heard about AMD's "magic" RR.
The best printouts I've seen are from Star Performance, and of course they use a good old Maha dyno. It's good to have all the information you can get.
Transmission loses can be particularly interesting, especially if the operator uses the old steering wheel tweek to up the loses, and boost the crank figures.

Secret Squirrel said:
I can well believe 240bhp is possible from a K03Sport. And I don't doubt AndyTQ's figures with the mods he has.
I got 231bhp on Interpros RR and we had a few well known cars as benchmarks. Most were reading low, due mostly to heatsoak, although a few were pretty much bang on.

I'm sure we've all heard about AMD's "magic" RR.
The best printouts I've seen are from Star Performance, and of course they use a good old Maha dyno. It's good to have all the information you can get.
Transmission loses can be particularly interesting, especially if the operator uses the old steering wheel tweek to up the loses, and boost the crank figures.
It wasn't magic for the s3 boys and stock cars were stock figures.230 from a ko3 ,i don't think so,highly modded ko3 cars usually hit 210-220 ,not possible mate.My cars had all the proven mods done properly and thats why the figures are there not a fluke.