1.8T Quattro mods

urquhart

Polo GT(130pd)
Reaction score
Not long bought an a3 1.8T quattro and not sure where to start with engine mods. I already have a forge 007p dv. I was looking at a few shops and was thinking about a CAI, neuspeed intercooler pipe(that replaces the pancake pipe), a newsouth power gasket, and a race cat. After i fitted these i thought about getting the car remapped.

What are peoples thoughts on these or is there more worthwhile things i should do to start with?

Thanks in advance.

urquhart said:
Not long bought an a3 1.8T quattro and not sure where to start with engine mods. I already have a forge 007p dv. I was looking at a few shops and was thinking about a CAI, neuspeed intercooler pipe(that replaces the pancake pipe), a newsouth power gasket, and a race cat. After i fitted these i thought about getting the car remapped.

What are peoples thoughts on these or is there more worthwhile things i should do to start with?

Thanks in advance.

All depends on budget i guess but of the things you've listed, here's what i'd do and the order i'd do them in...

Remap first. REVO is £585 and will put you the right side of 200bhp.

CAI. A Carbonio is a nice piece of kit but ultimatley won't give any real performance gains but sounds great. A green panel filter and 80mm cold air feed is about £50 and is all you 'need'.

Power Gasket. Actually i wouldn't bother with this at all.

Race Cat. Best way to complete your remap but Milltek Race Cats cost £800 for the quattro.

Pancake Pipe. Again i wouldn't bother, from what ive read on VW Vortex, those that have replaced it haven't really seen any gains. That money would be better spent on a Forge Turbo Intake Pipe (TIP), not that that is essential either.

Beyond these, a Front Mount Intercooler is a good investment if you are on your way to even more power.

I'd go for a de-cat then the CAI then the remap. We can offer a custom remap for £500 suited to the mods on your car so it's best to make what changes your wanting to do before the remap. As for the gasket and Neuspeed pipe, i agree these are not needed. The only real power gain you'll notice is with the remap. Hope this helps.

Tallpaul said:
Remap first. REVO is £585 and will put you the right side of 200bhp.

That is the price for the S3, A3 is £399+VAT=£468.82 inc

Tallpaul said:
CAI. A Carbonio is a nice piece of kit but ultimatley won't give any real performance gains but sounds great. A green panel filter and 80mm cold air feed is about £50 and is all you 'need'.

If you want to suck hot air in and not gain any hp but waste money go with the CAi, a decent cotton filter in the stock box is good enough for your hp

Tallpaul said:
Power Gasket. Actually i wouldn't bother with this at all.

Race Cat. Best way to complete your remap but Milltek Race Cats cost £800 for the quattro.

Pancake Pipe. Again i wouldn't bother, from what ive read on VW Vortex, those that have replaced it haven't really seen any gains. That money would be better spent on a Forge Turbo Intake Pipe (TIP), not that that is essential either.

Beyond these, a Front Mount Intercooler is a good investment if you are on your way to even more power.

After that it is the exhaust and the intercooler then you might as well go with the stage 2 software but you can do it in stages.

You may want to improve the brakes a bit also.

A remap is on the top of the list. i was thinking of adding a couple mods and getting a custom remap from star performance.

I already have a BMC panel filter so if thats sufficient then i'll just rig up a cold air feed.

I did think the gasket and pancake pipe would give very low gains but they were relatively cheap, so think i'll forget about them!

DPM said:
I'd go for a de-cat.

I did notice the milltek cats were expensive for my car. if i fit a de-cat does this not bring up faults or error messages in the car? or can it be mapped to run a de-cat?

Thanks for the help folks.

If you DeCat it will never get through an MOT, you will have to put them back on each time prior to the test.
If you went for a cat back exhaust that will improve the breathing sufficiently for your hp gain.

Corey said:
If you want to suck hot air in and not gain any hp but waste money go with the CAi, a decent cotton filter in the stock box is good enough for your hp

Could you explain how a CAI sucks hot air? :confused:

Also on what basis have you observed power gains from a panel filter? Or indeed any type of filter on a 1.8T?

Tallpaul said:
Could you explain how a CAI sucks hot air? :confused:

Also on what basis have you observed power gains from a panel filter? Or indeed any type of filter on a 1.8T?

Watch your intake temps via VAGCOM

My inlet temp sensor is situated after the intercooler. The only heat effect i ever see is heat-soaking of the intercooler itself (which happens alot). Unless there is another temp sensor i don't know about or that the AGU engine doesn't have?

I've logged g/s and inlet air temps (amongst other things) after every mod i've made. On the Air filter side of things i've tried the following:

Stock Panel Filter and OE air feed
Green Panel Filter and OE air feed
Green Panel Filter and 80mm air feed to lower bumper grill
Carbonio CAI

Never logged a significant heat differance except related to ambient air temp. Also the g/s airflow of all of those is identical, they almost perfectly overlay if plotted across the rev range.

Can't see how a carbon fibre tube connected to a filter that is directly infront of hole exposed to the front of the car can generate warmer air than having the filter in a big platic box in the engine bay?

something like a Dynatwist that sits in big metal tin, then perhaps that metal can heat up and increase the air temps?