Dump Valve or diverter valve....?

Booth_S4

Riding on V8 power
Reaction score
Whats the difference between the above???

Ive got a forge Diverter Valve fitted to my car.

cheers

Dump Valve dumps the excess boost pressure into the air, hence the Phssssst noise when you lift of the throttle on cars like Scooby's and Evo's. Diverter Valve dumps the excess air back into the intake, and Audi's need the Diverter Valve to run properly, or it confuses the ECU.

A diverter valve will generally be better than a dump valve.

When the dump valve operates the excess boost in the inlet manifold caused by the throttle closing is vented to atmosphere, this is bad for two reasons, firstly the turbo has just done all that work and you are ditching it into the atmosphere nad its better to use some of it by adding it back to the compressor inlt. Secondly, the MAF sensor has measured fuel for that air, so if it just disapears the ECU is lost as to how much air is in the inlet system and gets the fueling wrong. Not good.

The diverter valve just moves the air from after the turbo to before the turbo, therebuy not confusing the MAF sensor.

I hope that made sense....

yeah sort of! im new to all this turbo business, only ever had N/A cars before. Ah well you live and learn as they say! thanks though

Booth_S3 said:
So can you have a dump valve and a diverter valve?

No you can have only one at a time.

Ive tried running both and the diverter valve diverts before the dump valve can operate!!

Therefore pointless having the dump valve!!

Yep diverter valve is the way to go, and from the sounds of it you already have the best. Forge!!!