Next Mod for my 1.8 T??

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Hi there when i get my bonus want to spend it on my car as you do :eyebrows:

As im guessing you guys know more than me, so i cant make my mind up and thought id ask you!

Im happy with my ICE changed my headunit and got a different Sub and amp, and got a cat back SS system. Other than that all ive got is a set of 18's on standard suspension which has done 75k.

So im thinking coilovers or remap what you think?

Jason

If you get the remap you'll want the suspension done straight away. If it's done 75K it'll be well past its prime anyway.

FWIW when I changed the suspension on mine it made negligable difference to the insurance, whereas the remap made quite a bit of difference.

Ok so your saying coilovers first?

If so which ones so many to choose from range from 300- to over 1k.

Im not bothered how hard the ride is i want more performance than comfort.

Jason

Depends how much dosh you've got...

REVO £400

Eibach Shocks/H & R Springs plus fitting and 4 wheel alignment and the bushes that WILL be knackered £700

I got REVO first and drove with everything else stock for 3 months. It was fine really but the extra power encourages you to push things a little further and that's when you discover the worn suspension and puney/fade prone brakes aren't up to it.

For £250 the upgrade to 312mm brakes is an essential too IMO.

Really good tyres are important too... Goodyear F1's, Toyo Proxes, Michelin Pilot Sport etc etc

People rave about the ARB's too, but my shock were more urgent than them, although if i ever have the spare cash i'd do them too.

All things considered i'd still get the remap first. Nothing else will make you grin as much.

Tallpaul said:
...the extra power encourages you to push things a little further and that's when you discover the worn suspension and puney/fade prone brakes aren't up to it.
All things considered i'd still get the remap first. Nothing else will make you grin as much.
Spot on - the remap makes the most difference but will highlight other things that will need doing (like worn out suspension).

Be sensible, fully adjustable H & R coilovers are way over the top for the potential power and probable use of a '98 1.8T.

You don't need to spend anything like that to get great stability out of your A3.

I spent £515 on some FK Koenigsports, which are height and damping adjustable. The ride is pretty stiff, even on the softest setting, but they improve the handling no end, ride is compromised, as it always is with coilovers, but I personally wouldn't spend any more than £500 on new suspension.

Yeh i see what your saying so what coilovers would you recommend want a nice low drop as im running 18's under my arches.

Still cant make my mind up Coilovers or Remap,

I also need my cambelt service doing water-pump etc so ideally id want it all done at the same place has any-one been to quattronics for a remap as AMD cant fit me in for the service too at the moment.

Cheers

Jason

Jason_letts said:
Yeh i see what your saying so what coilovers would you recommend want a nice low drop as im running 18's under my arches.

Still cant make my mind up Coilovers or Remap,

I also need my cambelt service doing water-pump etc so ideally id want it all done at the same place has any-one been to quattronics for a remap as AMD cant fit me in for the service too at the moment.

Cheers

Jason

If you want it to look lowered i'd recommend the H & R -50mm springs. These'll drop your car by around 30 - 35mm. Any lower than that and you'd have to use coilovers and you'll also need to change your front ARB.

I used a company called www.xsperformance.co.uk who got me 25% off RRP for my Eibach Pro Shocks and 17.5% off my H & R Springs.

Kool thanks for that tall paul you are a legend on this forum! :yes:

I went onto the site couldnt acces the suspension page so how much did you pay for the eibach shocks and 50 mm H+R springs thats the set up i'll probably go for

Jason

Jason_letts said:
Kool thanks for that tall paul you are a legend on this forum! :yes:

I went onto the site couldnt acces the suspension page so how much did you pay for the eibach shocks and 50 mm H+R springs thats the set up i'll probably go for

Jason

Their website is a bit pony actually, you'd be best to give them a call and ask for Sal.

My shocks were £309 and the springs were £130 both prices include VAT. I think delivery was another £9 or so.

I went for the -30mm springs cos i didn't want my car to look lowered, i think the -50mm springs are about £15 more expensive.

Thanks for that so do you think the shocks and springs or the re=map?

How much would a place charge to fit do you think?

All your help much appreiciated

Jason

like i said, i did remap first and i would again.

Fitting and 4-wheel alignment should have been £194 inc VAT but i also had the droplinks and lower wishbone bushes replaced. The wishbone bushes are a PITA so it ended up costing a bit more.

Pound for Pound Jason, the remap is the one to go for, it's one of those mods that really gives you a big smile from cheek to cheek, especially on a 1.8T. I would however consider doing the suspension first, just to make your car ride and handle a bit better.
Also consider upping the brakes first before a remap, as suggested by Paul, as you'll find you have too much power for the car to STOP! :superman: , especially with winter coming round the corner, stopping is essential!!