Ooo eck I've got a problem!

AlexStanley

Reaction score
Website
www.alexstanley.co.uk
Driving home tonight in traffic I suddenly felt a 'thump' in the back of the car... "Oh crikey" I thought, "the car behind's just knocked me", but I was relieved to find it hadn't.

What had actually happened was that the boot had opened itself!!

So, I pulled over to the hard shoulder and went to the boot, but the soft touch buttons weren't working?! I had to use the remote to open the boot in order to slam it shut again, but by the time I'd got back to the drivers door it had popped open again.

This lasted for about 5 minutes before I was quick enough to slam the boot again, get back into the car and lock the doors, although I don't know whether that helped at all.

I then managed to drive home in a gingerly fashion, without the boot opening.

Any ideas as to what it could be? I'm going to see if I can just take the fuse out as a temporary measure because the last thing I want is for the boot to open when I'm on the move...

Any help would be great!!!

Hmmmmmm.... mine is doing something similar - sometimes you just can't shut it... it keeps bouncing open, or else you drive down the road and it pops up.

I wondered if the lock was frozen or something?

Maybe I should be glad that I dont have the facelift model /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I take it is must be a solanoid or actuator that releases it and since the car car is new, we can rule out a bad earth due to rust(it 'aint a Ford!!). That could leave a chaffed wire (unlikely) or sticky solanoid/acutator. Does it stay shut if you lock it when in closed position?

[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
Does it stay shut if you lock it when in closed position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Err.. I don't know! Because it's a 'soft-touch' mechanism, I don't know if there's a "lock" as such - certainly when you lock the doors you can't hear any noise from the boot like you can the doors & fuel flap...

I'm going to look through the fuses - hopefully it's on a separate fuse to everything else - I guess I'll just have to get it booked in at a dealership and let them sort it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Alex.

[ QUOTE ]
Gaunty said:
Could it be your key fob thats gone a bit weird, that middle button is a pain in the **** at the best of times. Try using your spare key fob for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't thought of that - I'll get the spare key into action after I've gone home tonight! (Although I thought that you couldn't use the boot release button on the key when the ignition was on? - it's when I've been driving that the boot has opened).

As it happens I've booked it in at an Audi garage to get it sorted - the earliest they could do was 6th Feb! Blimey - must be a busy time for Audis for some reason...

Did you figure out what the problem is 'cos it looks like mine is doing something similar (intermittently)!!

Sometimes it just pops open, and other times (like today) I can't open it without using the key...... maybe the locking mechanism is up the spout or something - feels like osmetimes the central locking doesn't unlock the boot, and at other times it opens it!!!!

Yeah I have a middle button, but I've never pressed it by mistake before.... plus combined with it refusing to open / popping open while driving / refusing to close..... bit suspicious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif