Servicing Advice 1998 A3 1.8 SE

A3steve

Reaction score
Hi,
I've not long bought a A3 with 89,000 on the clock, I'm pretty sure the Cambelt/water pump havent been done.

I'm confident to change this myself, But i'm unsure parts wise?

Looking at old posts, i believe i need a water pump with a metal impeller not plastic - Is this available as a dealer part or somewhere like GSF,eurocar parts?

On the cambelt side, its advised to change the tensioner, But a friend mentioned a damper as well? what did you have changed when you had yours done?

I've read a write up for a TT, where the engine mount bolts are replaced, is this true also for an A3?

What Oil do you recommend and is it usual to flush the system first on audis?

If theres other things i've missed or you recommend, please let me know.

Thanks
Steve

tensioner may be manual or self ajusting

water pump is avilable from both places

but if u get a kit will come with all parts needed if you use your engine code ( 3 letters )

and i wouldnt change the engine mount bolts on a 1.8na

and yes putting a flush in the oil before changin is always good unless your car has many oil leaks

Secret Squirrel said:
I don't use a flush. Just get the oil nice and warm before you drain it. Don't burn your fingers though.

Yeah, same here. I would question the benefit from a flush - Just make sure the engine is warm enough before draining and watch your fingertips as Squirrel here mentioned.
You'll be off to the moon in happiness afterwards. :thumbsup:

Cheers for the tips Guys! - Guess ill be busy ther weekend!

Thanks Steve

Ah hell, I'll drag this back up. I know changing the cambelt is every 5years / 60,000 miles on the 1.8t unless you're mad... does the same apply for the NA 1.8?

I ask because someone's just bought a A3 1.8 (2001) at work and it's never been done and it's on 54,000miles.

It would certainly make sense, as the rubber could easily have perished